House of the Dragon (no spoilers!) book readers welcome

air_raid

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, deathrey said:

I'm still watching. I don't hate and will probably watch the whole season but I definitely don't love it. Something needs to happen of actual interest, and soon. Daemon is the only remotely interesting one at the moment.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I thought last week's episode however was very good, the final one before all of the characters aged by about 30 years (10 my arse).

Aegon is livening things up a bit. 

• Paid Members

I thought the episode previous to the latest one had the most interesting fifteen minutes of the whole season, with the party in the big hall. Then this week seemed to fall off a cliff again. At this point I'm watching it just to finish it, but I don't care for any of the characters or what may happen to them, good or bad. The cast changes and extra large time jump completely took me out of it. 

• Moderators

I've been watching it. It's not as immediately grabbing as original GoT was, but thats not unexpected and tbh GoT got pretty shite towards the end. I enjoy it for what it is and like that it is shaping up to be Queen vs Queen.

Only thing I was disappointed in really was that they killed the crab man so easily - felt like a cool character who was a real threat just to be quartered somewhat easily in the end.

Still watching but like others I’m not exactly enamoured with it.

Being predominantly Targaryen focused works against it I fell, as in GoT you could chop & change between more characters and their stories, whereas here the scope seems a lot more narrow.

I didn’t realise just how much time jumping there was going to be in it though. I get that they’re adapting a single, albeit very large book, but there’s a lot of “and then for a while nothing happened, until…” going on

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm really enjoying this so far.

My favourite thing about A Song of Ice and Fire is how layered the characters are. There's some utter cunts in it, but only a few (Ramsay and The Mountain really) feel inherently bad. It's the same here. The only one who ever seemed to WANT the Throne was Daemon. The rest of them are just desperate to protect their loved ones, or do what's right for the realm, etc. Aegon was quite happy wanking out the window and actually liked his nephews, until his Mum convinced him that his half-sister wanted to kill him. I can't even blame her either, because her Dad did the same thing to her.

The tragic thing in this episode was it looked like Alicent and Rhaenerya had started to make amends and then Viserys started muttering about the prophecy.

The only thing I hate is that they keep trying to force the importance of the dagger. In a world with many unrealistic things, it still manages to feel incredibly unrealistic and keeps reminding me of how much I hated the ending of Game of Thrones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
16 minutes ago, neil said:

That did not feel like a season ending episode.

Agreed. I'd go one further and say the penultimate episode was not even close to being a traditional penultimate episode, going by GoT standards.

That said, when you look back to the first season of GoT the last two episodes weren't on the massive scale you saw in the following seasons. So you could say this is similar and like Thrones the first season is designed to lay the groundwork for the inevitable wars.

I really like Aemond and didn't care much for little Luke, but I was still gutted for him. The image of the massive dragon just coasting over the little one was done well. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Agreed. I'd go one further and say the penultimate episode was not even close to being a traditional penultimate episode, going by GoT standards.

That said, when you look back to the first season of GoT the last two episodes weren't on the massive scale you saw in the following seasons. So you could say this is similar and like Thrones the first season is designed to lay the groundwork for the inevitable wars.

Ned got his head lopped off in ep 9 of the first series! 

• Paid Members

I know, I know! But after that, all the big moments were bigger. The battle at the Balckwater, red wedding, purple wedding etc. That was the catalyst for everything that followed, just like Vhagar dropping that micro dragon for fun. 

I had it in my head this story would be wrapped up in one series and they’d move on to a different era for the next one so I become increasingly disappointed as this last episode dragged on. Nice sense of dread when soft lad parked his dragon up and you saw the big boy in the background though.