House of the Dragon (no spoilers!) book readers welcome

air_raid

15 hours ago, PunkStep said:

You really do think how fucking pervy GRRM is with half of the stuff don't you. A right proper Foley.

Apparently in the books , the scene where the women present their favors, one of them is like 7 or something 🤨

I know it's no book spoilers but for anybody has read the book, does the story appear to be a direct adaption or just a rough retelling? I'm tempted to grab a copy of the book but don't want to spoil it completely

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Apparently in the books , the scene where the women present their favors, one of them is like 7 or something 🤨

I know it's no book spoilers but for anybody has read the book, does the story appear to be a direct adaption or just a rough retelling? I'm tempted to grab a copy of the book but don't want to spoil it completely

I think the events will largely be the same, but the characters and perspectives could end up very different. The book's written as if a maester from Westeros has written a history of what happened, and he in turn is using three different people's accounts of the events. So what we read is George RR Martin's translation of a Westerosi history based on three sources that may or may not be reliable. Which means there's a lot of wiggle room to change characters' motivations and behaviours, if not the big stuff like "this battle was followed by this royal proclamation, which then led to this other battle".

• Paid Members

Likely many characters will be made older than the book counterparts, as happened in the GoT adaptation. Because nobody wants to see or even have to hear about the mad rutting of 13 year olds.

16 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Have they said if this is going to be multiple series, or is it just a one off and they’re doing other spin-offs?

Definitely hasn't been announced as a one off. Most things seem to refer to it as Season 1 (though not sure if that's 'officially') but it's also not been confirmed to be renewed yet as far as I'm aware.

They're doing other spin-offs as well though.

• Paid Members

The book is only a "Part 1" and this series only covers one generation worth of Targaryens. There's a fair few generations of Targaryen fun they could draw from to make more of it and not risk catching up to The Mad King and viewers going "OK, we know whats going to happen now".

Thats actually the saddest thing for me, that they won't bother making a spin off surrounding Rhaegar/Elia/Lyanna and Roberts Rebellion because they'll think its too predictable.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Rhaegar/Elia/Lyanna and Roberts Rebellion because they'll think its too predictable

Yeah, I think given there isn't much of a gap between the Rebellion and GoT series 1, it wouldn't feel right having so many roles recast. Shame. 

Aegon's Conquest could make a fine series though. I'd probably happier with something set across the narrow sea. Perhaps centred on the Valyrian Empire.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Aegon's Conquest could make a fine series though. I'd probably happier with something set across the narrow sea. Perhaps centred on the Valyrian Empire.

Finding out what "the Doom" was after years of not knowing was a big one for me. Although if they made it into telly it would probably come across more Discovery than HBO.

On 8/24/2022 at 1:28 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Have they said if this is going to be multiple series, or is it just a one off and they’re doing other spin-offs?

I'm sure i read they plan for 'Dance of the dragons' to be 4 seasons, they they plan on telling other stories from the book season 5 onwards. This is apparently their way of not having the situation they had with GOT where the actors had had enough of walking around in muddy fields at 1am for 4 months of the year and wanted out.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

This is apparently their way of not having the situation they had with GOT where the actors had had enough of walking around in muddy fields at 1am for 4 months of the year and wanted out.

Weird. I’ve have thought anyone not being adequately compensated by HBO for this situation would have been a character easily killed off for complaining.

5 hours ago, theringmaster said:

I'm sure i read they plan for 'Dance of the dragons' to be 4 seasons, they they plan on telling other stories from the book season 5 onwards. This is apparently their way of not having the situation they had with GOT where the actors had had enough of walking around in muddy fields at 1am for 4 months of the year and wanted out.

Also Game of Thrones got so big the cast were ready for films and big pay, but weren’t on massive contracts.

Dance of Dragons will be paying already established stars a bit more from the outset, with the knowledge they ain’t hanging about. I’d be amazed if Considine, Smith and Ifans last past 1 or 2 seasons.

Game of Thrones was a show that took a punt on young stars and made them stars. Dance is just shipping in ready made stars on short term deals.

Way too sketchy of spoilers, so episode 2...

Spoiler

Corlys and Daemon forming a Victor/Nasty Nick partnership at the end there was everything I want from the rest of the season. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Awards Moderator

Corlys and Daemon are two of the MVPs of the show so far, looking forward to seeing them sharing some scenes. Rhaenyra and Alicent are also great. You can sense all these tensions just bubbling under the surface ready to explode into dragons wrecking shit all over the place. Love it.

• Paid Members

I'm enjoying this a lot, it's great to be back in the Game of Thrones world, and like that it feels small scale and intimate compared to the sweeping scope of the original series which by the later seasons was actually a detriment. But fuck me, this show could do with a bit of levity. Everyone is very dour. There's no humour or warmth to any of the characters. I'm very interested to see what happens to all these characters but I wouldn't say I'm rooting for anyone yet. Hopefully that picks up. All in all though, looking forward to next week so job done!

I like that Viserys is clearly a bad king but not in a huge "DEERRRP" way, he has the best of intentions and you can understand why he makes the decisions he does but it's also clear that he's basically fucking up either through inaction or doing the wrong thing and relying on his position alone to keep him safe.

Edited by LaGoosh