House of the Dragon (no spoilers!) book readers welcome

air_raid

• Paid Members
On 8/31/2022 at 10:46 AM, LaGoosh said:

Everyone is very dour

Nobody communicates 'normally' with each other, it's a bit like watching The Crown. Every interaction is over-formal. Even at the beginning of GoT, you had the likes of King Robert, Arya and Tyrion to balance it out. 

Fucking hell, the CGI in this weeks episode was absolutely atrocious!

The show is OK, but I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did Game of Thrones as this show is just the poshos and Tories of Westeros. They were always the least enjoyable characters for me. Also, I love Paddy Considine too much to enjoy him playing a nonce.

Yeah some ghastly looking CGI. The whole intro looked like it was shrouded in darkness and underscored because the renders and score didn't finish up on time. Crab Island is a load of rubbish too. 

It's still a really easy watch though so I'm alright with it. 

• Paid Members

It's Westeros. Don't waste your time trying to figure out who's meant to be "good guys" or "bad guys." From the moment Bronn went to bat for Tyrion in the Eyrie, fighting to clear the name of a Lannister, the "baddie" family that conspired to kill Jon Arryn, best mate of the "goodie" Ned Stark, and we all felt gratified when Bronn booted Ser Thingummy out the Moon Door, that's been a waste of time. Or Blackwater, where in the end we cheered Lannisters surviving a Baratheon seige. Or a hell of a lot of the six series that followed, at various points. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

This show is a bit boring, isn't it?

We caught the latest episode this evening and at the end of it said the exact same thing. Game Of Thrones it is not. It takes itself way too fucking seriously as well. The odd thing to laugh at would help, but God no, heaven forbid. 

Yeah, packed it in mid way through episode 4.

It's like they self consciously tried to steer things away from all the tawdry elements of Game of Thrones but just wound up with a parallel universe version of it that never caught on in the mainstream because it's a drab fantasy stage play that's poorly lit and filled with lines delivered with lazy pomp. 

Not sure is it a mid/post pandemic production issue or what but it's another big budget thing that's wound up terrible looking. Even the on location stuff, it's like they didn't send anyone out to look for interesting panoramas and vistas and just done that festival camping thing of "Here looks spacious enough and not completely shit".

It's really missing the humour of GOT for me so I am finding it a little bit of a drag, though I am enjoying being back in that universe and so far my interest in the Targaryan is keeping me watching. I do wish someone would crack a smile occasionally. I dont know how long I'll keep watching and I'm certainly not feeling that urgency to watch an episode as soon as its aired

I love Paddy Considine and Matt Smith, but this show is, as others have said, a bit of a bore fest.

I was looking for next weeks trailer on Youtube and found a bit with the writer talking about how they want to get everyone's backstory in before the swords start swinging later in the series. The director was also there and said she wanted to shoot this episode from the womens point of view, whatever that might mean. It just means that I didn't get to see nearly as many tits and cocks as I would have liked!

I also saw something on the same google search (so be careful if you go searching) which actually spoiled the ending of the series/show

Spoiler

In GoT, Joffrey says to Sansa come here and see Rhaenyra who was burned alive by her brothers dragon.

• 3 weeks later...

Has everyone given up on this then? Found the cast changes interesting but the last episode had a lot of dross in it. 

Definately didn't need the first scene in that much detail. I can honestly say I've never thought a birthing scene needed to include a reference to the afterbirth whatsoever. 

Then I might have been too tired but I didn't quite get the drama around Daemons wife and the way she chuffs it. Might have been better if they'd built up their story and relationship more. 

Apart from that outside of Daemon all the characters seem pretty much detestable now in their own special way.