The PS1 Nostalgia Thread

FLips

• Paid Members

Die Hard Trilogy was another game were even the demo of just the first level of Die Harder was enough to keep me coming back for more, and I considered myself someone who hated first person shooters! Wish I'd bought the game proper now, but most of my money went on 2D fighters or wrestling titles.

• Paid Members

Die Hard Trilogy was a staple among pretty much everyone I knew with a PS1. The preference of the games being 1, 2, 3 (nobody liked the driving one).

Just a really fun collection of mini-games. There was a Die Hard Trilogy 2 I think but I’ve never met anyone who played it.

I bought a lightgun for Die Hard Trilogy, which elevated that part of it to proper Arcade greatness.

Remember when arcade games were the height of gaming, and consoles were just approximations!  How times have changed.

Another PS game I'd like to rave about - 

Forsaken

Now there's a single-player as in the video above, but that was almost irrelevant.  You also had split-screen deathmatch.  Probably one of the best-balanced multiplayer games I've ever experienced, it was like a game of 3d Chess.  You'd fly around a completely 3d maze, by which I mean you would soar up and down through passages as well as on a 2d plane.  Combined with delayed nukes, heatseeking missiles etc. it made for utterly addictive gameplay.

The joy of working out where the other player was, and shooting a nuke down a long tunnel for it to explode at the other end of the map just as they passed the junction.... pure class.

This is from the PC build but...

I've not encountered  a game since which replicates this style of play.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Die Hard Trilogy was also brilliant for another lost art of the PS1 era - comedy cheat codes! 

My go to for PS1 cheat codes was Duke Nukem Time to Kill. They were mostly some variation of pressing L1, L2, R1, R2 in different combos so sometimes you’d mix them up and get Big Head Mode instead of All Weapons.

Shake it baby!

Did anyone else get a bootleg copy of WWF Attitude way before it was released, a dodgy beta version?

It was missing a whole bunch of stuff and would crash at any given moment but it was wild to be able to play it so early. I don't think the version I had is even on websites that collect and document pre-releases.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I used to buy Gamesmaster sometimes just to get the free book of cheat codes…

I was subscribed to Gamesmaster for years and even wrote into them a few times! Not this early on though, it was around the launch of the Gamecube.

38 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Did anyone else get a bootleg copy of WWF Attitude way before it was released, a dodgy beta version?

It was missing a whole bunch of stuff and would crash at any given moment but it was wild to be able to play it so early. I don't think the version I had is even on websites that collect and document pre-releases.

Oddly enough WWF Attitude was a game nearly everyone I know who had it owned the legit copy. Like piles of chipped games and then just WWF Attitude in there. 

Tony Hawk's 2 and Matt Hoffman BMX were too later staples of my gameplay on the PS1. I could even well into my 20s sit down with these on blast out the awesome  soundtracks and while away hours on free play mode just pissing about. They had the right balance of being Arcady enough to be fun without too much realism which all games from this point we're making them more challenging and less appealing to me. Even now I'll crank them on an emulator on occasion. Absolute mindless fun for me. 

Seaking of Die Hard did anyone play the game apocalypse which had Bruce Willis as the main character? A really random 3rd person shooter that I found through a demo disc. Again it had that right combo for me of being fun and not too challenging which made it a great time killer to go back to. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, simonworden said:

Seaking of Die Hard did anyone play the game apocalypse which had Bruce Willis as the main character? A really random 3rd person shooter that I found through a demo disc. Again it had that right combo for me of being fun and not too challenging which made it a great time killer to go back to. 

I did. Remember enjoying it, just mindlessly going through levels and shooting up waves of random demons and enemies, peppered with sound bytes of Bruce who couldn’t sound any less enthusiastic and clearly went to the recording booth and went, “Right, let’s get this done as soon as possible.”

• Paid Members
On 8/12/2022 at 11:50 AM, Uncle Zeb said:

I was very keen on the idea of Fighting Force when it was being advertised in magazines, but I didn't have anything capable of running it. One thing I remember sounding a bit discouraging, though, was the inclusion of guns, which seemed totally out of step with the spirit of a brawling-based game

I bought fighting forces off a car boot because a made told be it was a bit like streets of rage and absolutely loved it. The use of weapons was nice and varied I thought, always feeling special enough when some of them did turn up and with some extra available just to the big feller (Ben was it). Me and a mate sunk hours into it, which is part of some of my fondest memories of that time; local multilayer. Between that, Twisted Metal 2,  tekken 2 & 3 and WarGames: Defcon 1 every Friday night was full.

My folks got me a PlayStation one birthday or Christmas,  things are all a bit patchy, but I'd not asked for one or even really mentioned it as far as I recall so it was a total supprise. 

I was never into the shinning lights of the console everyone raved about, tomb raider or metal gear or final fantasy or Resi, but I had some great fun with those that were more my bag and were a bit more pick up and play affairs. 

Destruction Derby 2 was a game I spent hours playing and, going back now,  is still enjoyable. Soviet strike was another I'd spend hours playing, that middle east level where you could strategically block paths to create a bottle neck was one I'd love to go back to,  and again it stands up really well still. 

As I've said before on here I generally get 1 football game per console, fifa 96 on snes was what I'd been playing (and loving despite having no interest in football, although I did sub Graham LeSaux for sounding too French to play for England) so my ps1 pick of 98:RTWC was a huge leap. So many teams, a cool soundtrack and des Lynam letting us know there's some lovely jerseys on display before handing over to John mottson & Andy Grey. The hours I spent on it were amazing. 

The already mentioned die hard trilogy is another i sunk hours into, although I'd always go 2,1,3. Light gun games were great fun and sort of had thier day and disappeared (which is why HotD overkill was so welcome on wii in my house). 

I also loved me a 3rd person shooter over an FPS as a child, tomorrow never dies was probably the one I remember best.  I tried playing it again recently and it's unplayable with the control set up but at the time I really enjoyed it, even if the film was a bit shit. 

Command and conquer was another.  Not having a pc until 2000 ps1 was my way of playing RTS games,  and C&C then C&C:RA were like a secret I shouldn't have known, these were the games the lad with the PC played.  I've recently been playing though them on PC and the remastered version includes the ps1 special ops which were a great little addition. I had a big cheat book I got of a magazine and the only ones I used were C&C and I spent so many hours on it those pages yellowed and wore while the rest of the book is still like new. 

My interest in wrestling starting around the release of smackdown is probably the most notable, smackdown 1 & 2 were played non stop, smackdown 1 running season seemingly forever was just so, so much fun and caught me just at the right time. 

And of course GTA. I still play it now and enjoy it, it's great fun to pick up and play and the missions and maps were varied enough to keep me entertained for an age. Best level was and still is mandarin mayhem and I won't hear otherwise. 

• Paid Members

I'm turning 35 this week and since we're going away I unwrapped my present from my wife today because she didn't want to wait until we're back. She got me a chunky silver PS2, so now I can live all my backwards compatibility dreams and play my PS1 games on hardware instead of emulating them on PC!