Vince McMahon is back. "I hear ya a racist now, father?"

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, JNLister said:

Nothing happened when WWE bought WCW. If anyone complains about it, you just tell the competition regulators that "pro wrestling" isn't a sector and you're actually part of the much bigger "television production" market.

Yeh, ignore my last post - complete brain fart. For some reason, I was more focused on WCW collapsing, and completely forgot that that didn't preclude WWE from buying it. 

Analysts have valued WWE at somewhere between 7.4 and 8.2 billion dollars, apparently, with WWE hoping to get around 8.5 billion for it (per the latest Wrestling Observer). 

The Observer also mentioned that the Saudis are in the running, but are by no means the favourites. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Analysts have valued WWE at somewhere between 7.4 and 8.2 billion dollars, apparently, with WWE hoping to get around 8.5 billion for it (per the latest Wrestling Observer). 

The Observer also mentioned that the Saudis are in the running, but are by no means the favourites. 

That seems insane to me. The TV deals were worth around $1.2b when Fox and USA (USA pays much less for Raw according to this article )  did those back in 2018. So are they saying the merch and content is worth $6b? In context Disney paid $4b for Marvel in 2009 and about the same for Lucasfilm a few years later. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That seems insane to me. The TV deals were worth around $1.2b when Fox and USA (USA pays much less for Raw according to this article )  did those back in 2018. So are they saying the merch and content is worth $6b? In context Disney paid $4b for Marvel in 2009 and about the same for Lucasfilm a few years later. 

The operating year before Marvel were bought they had revenues of just under $700M, while in 2021 WWE had revenues of $1.1B. Obviously, valuation isn't just a straight multiplying of revenue, but as a rough calculation you'd expect them to be looking north or what was paid for Marvel and given the inflation around M&A across all sectors over the last few years I don't think the figure they're looking for is that shocking, though I think they'll ultimately get less given the arse has started falling out of the market over the last 6 months.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Plus they'll get the rights to WWE Films and the World Bodybuilding Federation which will tack on a few extra billion.

How can you miss out ICOPRO? That's clearly the biggest earner

• Paid Members

Regarding the numbers, the current "worth" of WWE is its market capitalisation, meaning the number of shares x the current share price. At this precise moment that's $6.65 billion.

One way to estimate a likely share price is "a bit over the market capitalisation", with the extra being a "takeover premium". That reflects the fact that you have to pay above market price when people know you want to own the whole thing. So something in the $7-8 billion region wouldn't be insane.

Whether it's a worthwhile investment is another calculation. If you paid the $6.65 billion, at current profit levels it would take about 20 years to make your money back, which isn't outrageous for a public company. That would change if the TV rights go up as expected.

However, it's a very different proposition if you're a TV company. WWE's total US rights fees (Raw/NXT/Smackdown/The Former Network) are currently the best part of a billion per year, so if that goes up significantly, it could almost be cheaper to buy the company than to sign a long-term TV deal.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

I hope whoever buys WWE continues to operate it and rebrands it as ‘World Championship Wrestling’.

I’d love it if Tony Sniff got it and declared it would be run as AEWs developmental show where the wrestlers would hone their craft and learn the proper AEW style of wrestling before hitting the big leagues. Proper shithouse it causing Vince to explode in his own shit and piss. 

43 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’d love it if Tony Sniff got it and declared it would be run as AEWs developmental show where the wrestlers would hone their craft and learn the proper AEW style of wrestling before hitting the big leagues. Proper shithouse it causing Vince to explode in his own shit and piss. 

"Alright everyone gather around. Omega and the Bucks are going to show you the proper way to defend yourselves from someone coming in hot off a media scrum."