Twin Magic/The old switcheroo

Cheapheat

Hi everyone, I am looking for examples of the old switcheroo gimmick, used by twins or guys who wear the same outfit (like the Villainous gimmick or um. . Los conquistadors). If you have ever seen this gimmick done well or effectively I would really appreciate it if you could let me know about it. Thanks in advance.

• Paid Members

Demolition fooled plenty of refs, despite Ax and Smash not looking alike. It was easier when they started wrestling in the gimp masks.

Done well or effectively, was by the Killer Bees. Although it was babyfaces cheating which I’m not particularly fond of.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I imagine that we all fell for Kurt Angle's switcheroo against the Undertaker:

https://youtu.be/ybfixGZyiD4

That was brilliant for 14 year old me. Did anyone know Angle had a brother? Probably the Angles. I'd like to think even if the ref had seen them together earlier on that Takers outfit was either too distracting or so bad the ref just decided to ignore it as it was the lesser evil compared to taker holding up the belt in those trousers.

• Awards Moderator

They did it with the Basham Brothers a bit, didn’t they? It was either them or the Gymini from mid-00s SmackDown.

It was a big part of the Bella Twins’ act for a while, too. And I’d have to imagine the Usos have tried it at some point, though I can’t think of any examples.

Edge vs undertaker where they had the Major Brothers dress as him 

the OG is the hebners with Andre vs hogan. Which then led to years of the heel ref being a full time ref and no fucks given 

• Paid Members

I liked when the Brain Busters did it at SummerSlam 89 to beat the Hart Foundation. Yeah, Arn and Tully look nothing alike but the way they did it with Arn using Bret’s arm to hide his balding head so the ref wouldn’t clock it, it actually worked as a one off finish.

image.gif.af5308ce257b9ad9b535d2a3c7fc28a4.gif

The set of bastards. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Louch said:

the OG is the hebners with Andre vs hogan. Which then led to years of the heel ref being a full time ref and no fucks given 

Although for several years after Dave moved into the office and Earl was doing the ref job, they called him "Dave Hebner" on TV for consistency/so people wouldn't figure out the "evil twin" had become a legit ref. In kayfabe, that the "Earl Hebner" character became the actual senior ref for the company is a lesser-celebrated plot hole.

They did it a fair bit with The Nazis when they were Jacob & Eli Blu. Wrestlemania XI when they lost to Luger & Bulldog you had Uncle Zeb saying they pinned the wrong twin, which in itself was an admission that they’d cheated earlier in the match so make of that what you will. It didn’t go anywhere afterwards though.

They’ll have done it plenty of times again afterwards when they were Skull & 8 Ball

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

They did it with the Basham Brothers a bit, didn’t they? It was either them or the Gymini from mid-00s SmackDown.

Both did it, but Gymini would have been more Velocity that smackdown surely. I only remember seeing them on smackdown accompany Simon Dean, but then they were so painfully dull and bland I may have nodded off during evey appearance they ever made. 

I seem to remember the Killer Bees doing it in mid-80s WWF after they started wearing masks to the ring (but not the match itself). Always seemed strange that these Babyfaces were given such a heelish device to win matches.

*EDIT* - here they are doing it on SNME (at the 2:02 mark)

Edited by The Reverend

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

They did it a fair bit with The Nazis when they were Jacob & Eli Blu. Wrestlemania XI when they lost to Luger & Bulldog you had Uncle Zeb saying they pinned the wrong twin, which in itself was an admission that they’d cheated earlier in the match so make of that what you will. It didn’t go anywhere afterwards though.

They’ll have done it plenty of times again afterwards when they were Skull & 8 Ball

Monsoon should have made them wear badges. 

• Paid Members

Did Chris Candido & Tom Pritchard do this as the Body Donnas? 

I used to like when Money Inc would swap places behind the ref's back and DiBiase/Irwin would just clap his hands loudly and the ref would acknowledge it as a tag and let the match continue.