Crap first finishers

air_raid

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The first version of Dirty Deeds, the Driving Headlock-Bulldog-DDT thing when Mox was Dean Ambrose and he first won the US Title. Don’t think he used it for very long because it was utter crap

Came to say this. Every single time he used it I remember thinking it would surely be changed the following week. Baffling it ever made it to TV.

3 hours ago, air_raid said:

Did he? I only ever saw him wipe out jobbers with one from the top. He used the piledriver for ages too until The Bad Guy smartened him up.

I wish someone had got in Punk's ear with the same advice early on. Great worker otherwise, but a mid-sized guy like that with a lifting finisher never made sense. A big strike that he could hit on anyone would've suited him much better (like Michaels/Bryan/AJ/Edge).

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

(HBK) could never hold the guy right when he done it. It always looked like a shit "Olympic Slam

That was the point wasn't it, it wasn't quite a belly to back / back drop and sort of had the rotation from holding a butcher's hook under his butcher's shop.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Pinc said:

I wish someone had got in Punk's ear with the same advice early on. Great worker otherwise, but a mid-sized guy like that with a lifting finisher never made sense. A big strike that he could hit on anyone would've suited him much better (like Michaels/Bryan/AJ/Edge).

Or he could have stuck with the Anaconda Vice.

There has been a long tradition of moves/holds that most have been super over with the back office that would be tried out with regularity and zero success. 

I think both Diesel (pre Jacknife) and Crush (post jail) used the Heart Punch, which was never going to work in WWF/E where punches were thrown by everyone anyway. I get and appreciate the psychology behind it but it just never would catch on in the nineties. 

HHH used a a Diamond Cutter very really on didn't he? Great finish but they probably didn't want the nod to WCW.

The Rock's shoulder breaker was a tribute I know, but again, just from another era and not over in the slightest in late 1996. 

Bob Backlund used a waist lock roll up for a while before unleashing the Chicken Wing Crossface too didn't he?

There is a really early pre renamed Elix Skipper WCW 2000 match where the Overdrive is actually a type of takedown into an arm lock. Few quid says Johnny Ace maybe helped make it somehow worse. 

Orton tried it against Christian in a 2002 Raw and somehow cocked it and fell on his face. 

The Overdrive is king shit of shit finishers. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Mark Impact said:

I think both Diesel (pre Jacknife) and Crush (post jail) used the Heart Punch,

Diesel was just a punch, to the face or back of the head.

2 minutes ago, Mark Impact said:

HHH used a a Diamond Cutter very really on didn't he? Great finish but they probably didn't want the nod to WCW.

Not so much “they” as Dallas asked him nicely not to.

• Paid Members

Stone Cold with the 'Million Dollar Dream". It made sense storyline wise with DiBiase but he hooked it all weird. Don't forget they also stuck Rocky Maivia with that shit shoulderbreaker thing.

Diesel's was just a punch. You take a punch from Diesel, it's the three count in 1993.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

9 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Diesel's was just a punch. You take a punch from Diesel, it's the three count in 1993.

Further to that, The Heart Punch. If you’re given that as a finisher you might as well just pack up and go home because that’s their way of saying “we don’t trust you to do anything”

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Stone Cold with the 'Million Dollar Dream". It made sense storyline wise with DiBiase but he hooked it all weird. Don't forget they also stuck Rocky Maivia with that shit shoulderbreaker thing.

Didn’t Rocky also use the top rope cross body as a finish for a bit in late 96/early 97 as well? 

My first thought was Austin. Obviously the KOTR promo and the 3:16 shirt gets all the credit for revamping him but the glass break music and especially switching to the stunner was essential. Imagine him locking on the old Million Dollar Dream on Vince at MSG in 97? Wouldn’t have been quite the same. And he certainly couldn’t have ran in and Million Dollar Dreamed half the roster during his comeback in 2000 or the Invasion angle a year later. He really needed something quick and devastating. 

6D2498BF-28CE-41A2-BF82-1A88A8078F40.gif

That’s better. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Didn’t Rocky also use the top rope cross body as a finish for a bit in late 96/early 97 as well? 

My first thought was Austin. Obviously the KOTR promo and the 3:16 shirt gets all the credit for revamping him but the glass break music and especially switching to the stunner was essential. Imagine him locking on the old Million Dollar Dream on Vince at MSG in 97? Wouldn’t have been quite the same. And he certainly couldn’t have ran in and Million Dollar Dreamed half the roster during his comeback in 2000 or the Invasion angle a year later. He really needed something quick and devastating. 

6D2498BF-28CE-41A2-BF82-1A88A8078F40.gif

That’s better. 

What show was that Stunner from? 😅 I've no recollection at all of seeing that shocker. 

• Paid Members

I guess Edge would be another - the Downward Spiral isn't actually a bad finisher, but Edge seemed to ditch that pretty early on, despite the Smackdown games holding on to it for his character. I only remember ever seeing him use it twice (he'd already been with the WWF a while by the time I started watching again in late '99), and then it was the Edgecution, then the Edgucator, then his Running Hug Of Doom became the permanent one.

Talking of the Downward Spiral, before Kennedy/Anderson adopted it as the Mike Check, he had that Kamikaze Drop off the second rope, which looked sort of impressive, but just took too much setting up. 

On a tangent, I think the Big Show might be the opposite for this. He kept trying to get other finishers over - the Alley-Oop, the Hog Lock, the Final Cut, but he always had to keep coming back to the original, the chokeslam (did anyone ever actually call it the Show Stopper?) until he finally got the WMD over.

• Paid Members

@wandshogun09Everything about the Stone Cold Stunner is great, from the name being a callback to Stun Gun/Stunning Steve, to the way it just hits you like a snake striking, which fit when JR started referring to him as the “rattlesnake.”

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Carbomb said:

On a tangent, I think the Big Show might be the opposite for this. He kept trying to get other finishers over - the Alley-Oop, the Hog Lock, the Final Cut, but he always had to keep coming back to the original, the chokeslam (did anyone ever actually call it the Show Stopper?) until he finally got the WMD over.

What was the hog lock? Was that the cobra clutch into a back breaker thing he did for a spell?