Crap first finishers

air_raid

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That makes perfect sense. The charm of being a big man is not having to take all those bumps, but it's not worth it if you fuck your knees in the process. Similarly, when Hogan was on Austin's podcast he said his biggest regret in his career was how much damage the Leg Drop did to his knees and hips, and questioning why he did a Leg Drop in the first place after cutting a ton of promos about the size of his arms.

I must admit, after watching that Billy Graham DVD, it did have me slightly wondering, as it made sense for Graham, who was using a bearhug as a finish, to really play up his "pythons".

Not to be all "Hogan wuz better in Japan", but it would make sense to play up getting whacked in the face with an Axe Bomber from a guy with arms that big.

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think WWE ever did enough to get Show's brief foray into boxing over as justification for the Knockout Punch but, at the same time, you don't need to try very hard to sell "this big fucker just punched his opponent in the head" as a match ender. The only question was why he didn't just spend the whole match swinging for the fences; it's not a move that really fits the conventional WWE match structure of building up to a finisher, when there's nothing stopping him from just smashing them in the head almost immediately.

For me, that was very much one of those "let the fans work out the logic for themselves", and I had it down as simply that he couldn't just swing for the fences, because most guys he would face are smaller than him, and, more importantly, much faster and more agile. A big, lumbering guy like him would need to exhaust them so that they slow down, and aren't necessarily as able to dodge as they would at the beginning.

Additionally, the WMD is essentially a straight punch, which, even in real fights, a lot of people could dodge because they see it coming a mile off. That's why real fighters set it up with quick, less damaging jabs first. So it makes sense that he'd have to have them dazed or slowed down a bit so he could land it.