Crap first finishers

air_raid

• Paid Members
Just now, Tommy! said:

What was the hog lock? Was that the cobra clutch into a back breaker thing he did for a spell? 

Ah, forgot to mention that too! The Hog Lock was that one that looked like the Final Cut/Eye Of The Hurricane, but he used his leg instead of his arm. I don't think he used it as a finisher long, and I'm not sure it was called the Hog Lock outside the games.

• Paid Members

Did Big Show also do an “alley-oop” in real life? Or was that a video game-only thing? Like a powerbomb, but he’d then fall backwards and throw his opponent face-first.

Why did Big Show have this spell trying out different finishing moves? Nothing better than a big guy doing a big chokeslam.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Did Big Show also do an “alley-oop” in real life?

Very briefly, yeah.

I don't know why he was trying out different moves, but I'd hazard a guess it was a combination of Kane and Undertaker also using the Chokeslam, wanted to vary up his offence so he didn't get stale, and just wanting to prove to people that he was a more diverse worker than just a plodding big guy.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

wanting to prove to people that he was a more diverse worker than just a plodding big guy.

Perhaps he'd have had more success if he tried not being a fat lazy cunt instead. 

• Paid Members

I remember there being a lot of reports of him being lazy - but how much allowance did the people saying that make for his condition? After the rubbish Matt Morgan, he's probably the most mobile giant there's ever been, when you think about it.

Problem is, even if he hadn't been lazy, the "law" of wrestling wouldn't have allowed him much latitude. He's a giant, and giants are pretty much expected to follow the "Immovable Object" rules: never leaves his feet, doesn't run the ropes or corners, rarely sells, pretty much never bumps even when he is finally taken down, doesn't get overly complex because he doesn't need to. So he probably didn't have much option except to try new power moves.

I always felt that, if he absolutely had to have a new finisher, he should've had the Last Ride, rather than the Undertaker, as it would've been an absolutely spectacular finish. He wasn't known for being a particularly unsafe worker, was he?

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I remember there being a lot of reports of him being lazy - but how much allowance did the people saying that make for his condition?

His condition isn't a factor to the size of his gut in the mid 2000s, it was him being lazy because he could be. 

Just go back and look at him at that cyber Sunday where he just lay around talking to people in the front row, before his time out. 

He wasn't asked to do anything too athletic but he didn't even try and keep in shape as a result. There's clearly a point where he just checked out, and it was commendable to him how reasonably good shape he clawed himself back to. 

• Paid Members
On 4/5/2022 at 11:29 AM, air_raid said:

Just checked and they had it as “Slingshot Suplex.”

Did we ever get to the bottom of where the Teardrop Suplex name came from? Was it a secondary finisher in one of the later videogames? I saw someone on Reddit say it was from SuperWrestlemania on the Genesis, but I checked the manual online, and it's not mentioned there, nor in In Your House. Was it from a sticker album?

• Paid Members
On 4/5/2022 at 12:53 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

The first version of Dirty Deeds, the Driving Headlock-Bulldog-DDT thing when Mox was Dean Ambrose and he first won the US Title. Don’t think he used it for very long because it was utter crap

Basically the only good way to do that move is to spike your opponent directly on top of their head. Seeing as the only person on the roster at the time athletic enough who could take it properly and safely was Kofi Kingston, yeah it didn't really work. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Ah, forgot to mention that too! The Hog Lock was that one that looked like the Final Cut/Eye Of The Hurricane, but he used his leg instead of his arm. I don't think he used it as a finisher long, and I'm not sure it was called the Hog Lock outside the games.

Hog Lock? I always thought it was called the Hog Log, because he dropped his leg like a log falling on them. I quite liked the move because it looked different, but thought the name was shit.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Hog Lock? I always thought it was called the Hog Log, because he dropped his leg like a log falling on them. I quite liked the move because it looked different, but thought the name was shit.

Maybe it was actually that, but the game developers listed it as the Hog Lock - perhaps they misheard?

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Chris B said:

Was it from a sticker album?

Bound to be. Same one that said his motto was “Shawn Michaels is in the building.”

I saw at least one reference to Tatanka’s Samoan drop being called the “Renegade Drop” too, which wasn’t a thing. Gorilla occasionally called it the End Of The Trail but often it was just left without a name, with Vince or whoever just shouting “Here we go!” or “Here it is!” Loads of moves got that treatment.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I don't know why he was trying out different moves, but I'd hazard a guess it was a combination of Kane and Undertaker also using the Chokeslam, wanted to vary up his offence so he didn't get stale, and just wanting to prove to people that he was a more diverse worker than just a plodding big guy.

I recall in interviews that Big Show had said that his knees were pretty shot at the time and as his chokeslam always ended with him taking a knee bump he was trying to find something less damaging. It's why he settled on the Knockout Punch because he basically doesn't need to bump for it.

• Paid Members

That makes perfect sense. The charm of being a big man is not having to take all those bumps, but it's not worth it if you fuck your knees in the process. Similarly, when Hogan was on Austin's podcast he said his biggest regret in his career was how much damage the Leg Drop did to his knees and hips, and questioning why he did a Leg Drop in the first place after cutting a ton of promos about the size of his arms.

I don't think WWE ever did enough to get Show's brief foray into boxing over as justification for the Knockout Punch but, at the same time, you don't need to try very hard to sell "this big fucker just punched his opponent in the head" as a match ender. The only question was why he didn't just spend the whole match swinging for the fences; it's not a move that really fits the conventional WWE match structure of building up to a finisher, when there's nothing stopping him from just smashing them in the head almost immediately.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I always justified the KO Punch as a finisher because, technically speaking, closed-fist punches are not allowed in pro wrestling. Therefore, having enough skill, accuracy and power to knock someone out with an open-fisted punch felt like a big enough deal for a finisher. Not that WWE ever played up to this feat though, mainly because they don't give a toss about those sorts of details so it meant most of the fanbase didn't appreciate the move for it's real creative and psychological merit.