Is pro wrestling too dangerous?

waters44

• Paid Members

I'm only going to mention AEW here because its the only show I watch, I have no idea what WWE or any other promotions are like

I haven't caught last weeks show yet, but I find that most weeks watching Dynamite there is a moment where I cringe and brace myself to see someone get injured

Off the top of my head I have seen the following wrestlers get injured on the weekly TV show - Rey Fenix, Orange Cassidy, Ricky Sparks, Lance Archer. Then you have Kenny Omega off to nurse injuries, as well as Eddie Kingston and Miro. There may be others I have missed. 

I feel like the boundaries are being pushed a little too far for a weekly wrestling show sometimes. I'm not sure Cody Rhodes should be going through flaming tables and burning his back, or Sammy Guevara doing swantons off the top of massive ladders outside the ring, or Hangman Page being thrown out the ring on to the side of the steps. I also think there are some moves that should be outright banned, for example that snap suplex Kenny Omega does looks so reckless to me.

Don't get me wrong the matches are spectacular, and I know that is partly down to the risks they are taking.

Are the risks worth the entertainment on a Wednesday night? Do they need to calm down a bit or am I being over dramatic?

• Paid Members

It's always been dangerous though. We've seen wrestlers die in the ring for decades. Are they taking more risks today in the name of entertainment and getting over? I wouldn't say so. It's been this way since the early 00's on the indys. And with some of those listed above, it was due to a slip or a landing going wrong more then anything else.

As for Cody, I don't think anyone other than Cody suggested that as spot, so idiots going to idiot i suppose. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Nick James said:

''It ain't ballet, Kid''

Fair enough! 

I know its implicitly dangerous, and I know that's part of why we like it, but my point is more is it worth back to back suplexs and piledrivers every week, or can we just save that for the big shows. 

56 minutes ago, Nick James said:

''It ain't ballet, Kid''

I love how they use this in wrestling despite ballet being very tough and taking an incredible toll on the body (like wrestling). Plus, by all accounts, ballet dancers are treated like shit and there's noncery and all sorts allegedly going on (like wrestling).

I havn’t actually seen AEW in a while, have they toned down the blood/tacks etc.

it does nothing for me and is off-putting more than anything.

I do often wonder when wrestlers get injured doing stupid stuff and need to go to hospital, how their conversations go exactly ?

Doc “What happened here then”

Cody “i burnt my back after intentionally going through a table that was on fire”

Doc “get out of my ER you fool”

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

Fair enough! 

I know its implicitly dangerous, and I know that's part of why we like it, but my point is more is it worth back to back suplexs and piledrivers every week, or can we just save that for the big shows. 

I must specify, that I was taking the piss out of the old saying, than actually saying it myself. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

I havn’t actually seen AEW in a while, have they toned down the blood/tacks etc.

it does nothing for me and is off-putting more than anything.

I do often wonder when wrestlers get injured doing stupid stuff and need to go to hospital, how their conversations go exactly ?

Cody “i burnt my back after intentionally going through a table that was on fire”

I think there have been about 5 matche or so with tacks. It's vary rare. Blood? Every couple of months maybe?

AEW is an interesting one to pick on. They've had a lot of dangerous stuff and some nasty looking injuries but that extra level of violence has probably brought them some extra eyes over time which hopefully increases the money being brought in and helps provide the guys doing it with a little more money. 

However you see plenty of risky moves being done for small audiences, sometimes with no intention of it being broadcast. Wrestlers are doing this stuff in mid card matches where it's totally unecessay. Most fans going to small shows would be happy with your general pantomime wrestling. Add in a few moonsaults, drop kicks and a straight dive into someone on the floor and the average casual is pretty entertained I've found. 

I

• Paid Members

Nothing I see on Wednesday nights looks as rough as some of the bumps guys were taking on those WWF rings in the 90s. Superplexes especially! They looked like death! May as well have been throwing yourself directly onto concrete.

C6A5B434-DCB3-412E-BAAA-5D2261124A76.gif.ce3563ec617e3d8aa779a0cf10b78df6.gif

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, RancidPunx said:

Doc “Great, there's your bill and sign here for your new loyalty card. Break five bones and we'll treat the sixth one half price!”

2 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Dude, they're in the US. Why would the doctors care if they want to pay money to get fixed up?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, simonworden said:

However you see plenty of risky moves being done for small audiences, sometimes with no intention of it being broadcast.

Do you? All but the tiniest of trainee shows I've been to have been filmed. Even small promotions have their own streaming services, and smaller ones are on YouTube. There's not really such a thing as "no intention of it being broadcast" any more outside of the family friendly/holiday camp style circuit.