Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

• Members

I once got around £1900 when I was working at Waitrose and it coincided with me needing to get a deposit for a rental property, which was a touch.

Got a massive curry as well. Now I work for a bloody employer that has the audacity to tax properly so those days are well over.

This is stupid but getting my expenses cheers me up. I'm going to get about £100 this month, and even though I know its my money I've spent last month, to me its like "extra" wages ?

Yes I'm simple. 

I know exactly what you mean @SuperBaconWe get 45p a mile when we drive anywhere and we've gotten our electric car, it costs me no where near that much to drive around so I feel like it's a little bonus pay. 

I know 45p a mile is crap, but it's a charity.

• Members
24 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I know exactly what you mean @SuperBaconWe get 45p a mile when we drive anywhere and we've gotten our electric car, it costs me no where near that much to drive around so I feel like it's a little bonus pay. 

Not much more in local government I can tell you! That's not too bad.

• Paid Members

I got £1200 back after I realised I'd been paying Basic Rate for twelve months. An amazing feeling; it's how I'd imagine it'd be like to find a gold bar down the back of the sofa.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

To be fair, they are nice chocolate biscuits.

They are nice, but not chocolate.

Fight me.

3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Fucking golden to get communications like that. The last time I did was so long ago I had to go to the tax office in person to pick up a cheque. 

Fucking cheques. In the same post I also got a letter from TransPennine Express enclosing a cheque as payment for compensation for a cancelled train. I'm inclined to email them refusing to accept a cheque and demanding payment in legal tender.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Hugh Thesz said:

Funnily enough I opened an envelope this morning to find they owe me £404.  Life is sweet.

Sounds like an error

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Tamura said:

Fucking cheques. In the same post I also got a letter from TransPennine Express enclosing a cheque as payment for compensation for a cancelled train. I'm inclined to email them refusing to accept a cheque and demanding payment in legal tender.

I got a couple of cheques as birthday money from the in-laws this year, and while obviously very happy to get some money, the sight of a cheque did prompt a bit of an exaggerated sigh while I tried to figure out where the nearest branch of my bank was and how and when I could get there. But it turns out that, at least with HSBC, you can scan them with your mobile app to pay them in to your account. 

13 hours ago, deathrey said:

45p per mile is the maximum you can be paid for mileage before HMRC want some back. That's why it hasn't increased with wages etc in recent years. 

I'm in the same boat expenses wise, I know it's money I've spent but still feels like a bonus. 

• Paid Members

My wife told me yesterday that she's off with her sister down south to visit their side of the family for a long weekend. I love her dearly, but three and a half days by myself the same weekend the football is back? I'm giddy with excitement. In fact, I did a little squeal there just typing that out. 

FWIW, she did ask me if I wanted to go too, but I don't have much annual leave left so I genuinely cannot go.