AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Nah, not having that. Khan's "big surprises" are usually limited to things he says in interviews and on Twitter, TNA was heavily promoting those surprises on TV, and were often wildly misleading with it too. Nothing Tony Khan has said has come close to promising a "former World Champion" and delivering Al Snow. 

No one will top TNA teasing the huge signing on August 1st for weeks, with it leading to Tito Ortiz standing awkwardly on the ramp. 

Edited by Nick James

11 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Saraya's signing (presumably to wrestle) shows that either WWE's doctors are too strict or AEW's doctors are too lenient.

I hope for her sake it's the former. 

More likely with American doctors than right or wrong is who is risk adverse to Approve them and take something coming back to them later if they give an ok. 

42 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Saraya's signing (presumably to wrestle) shows that either WWE's doctors are too strict or AEW's doctors are too lenient.

I hope for her sake it's the former. 

I'm not "too strict" is a thing really. Far better they're cautious about those sorts of things.

Can't help but feel Danielson as Champion was the fresh way to go here, all the better to put some daylight between them and the Punk mess. Also think there'd be more potential for character development by Moxley after working himself into the ground all summer only for his best mate to deny him a proper title reign at the last hurdle.

Jericho as ROH champ is intriguing and adds a nice wrinkle to the Daniel Garcia stuff, though again - feels like there'd be even more potential if his idol Danielson was holding the other World belt.

Delighted for The Acclaimed and glad the rap is back after they bottled it each week since the All Out scrum. Max Caster seemed to have a couple of strange botches in a row but gladly it didn't affect the closing straight.

Edited by Pinc

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

This isn't true at all. Up until about 3 weeks ago, his AEW run had been tremendous. If you like him that is.

This. He had one hell of a comeback up until his first injury. The stuff with Eddie Kingston and the stuff with MJF was tremendous. I may be in the minority, but I’d absolutely love to see him come back. 

@Infinity Land - I’d also dispute both Christian and Big Show in your list of dud signings. By all means slap Undisputed Era and Ruby Soho in there, but I think Christian and Wight have done exactly what they were supposed to.

Firstly Christian - yes, he was overhyped, but that was hardly his fault. After that, he had two superb matches with Kenny Omega, and a long term storyline with Jungle Boy, which seems like it’ll benefit both JB and Luchasaurus in the long term. While I wasn’t a fan of the ‘dead dad’ stuff, it does seem as though the intention was to transition Jungle Boy towards becoming ‘Jungle Boy’ Jack Perry; a far more marketable name. I think Christian has been great for AEW. 

Paul Wight, if anything, has been under-utilised. However, he was signed to do commentary, and I think he’s pretty good at it. I’d love to see him have a few more matches, if he’s good to go, and I’d especially like to see JeriShow reform when the time is right. Ultimately, Paul Wight’s signing wasn’t designed to be a game-changer, nor was it hyped as being that. He’s delivered what I assume was expected of him. 

I enjoyed Grand Slam. Pretty much every match delivered, with Swerve & Strickland/The Acclaimed being MOTN for me. I will say that I would have prefered to see Danielson take the belt, I don't think Mox needs to add another reign to his number right now, even if he is going to lose it relatively quickly.

I very much enjoyed MJFs face on the huge screens for ages like a scene from 1984.

QGNUP5I.jpg

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Paul Wight, if anything, has been under-utilised. However, he was signed to do commentary, and I think he’s pretty good at it. I’d love to see him have a few more matches, if he’s good to go, and I’d especially like to see JeriShow reform when the time is right. Ultimately, Paul Wight’s signing wasn’t designed to be a game-changer, nor was it hyped as being that. He’s delivered what I assume was expected of him. 

I think Paul Wight's signing was hyped up by fans, more so than the company in that it actually WAS a big shock at the time. No one seemed to know he wasn't still under contract with WWE so all of a sudden AEW announced they had signed him and it actually did feel like a big deal. Big Show hadn't been a regular on WWE TV in a few years at that point and had openly said multiple times his career was winding down so no one should have really expected him to be going 60 mins with Omega. 

4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

@Infinity Land - I’d also dispute both Christian and Big Show in your list of dud signings.

It's not dud signings. It's signings that came in with years out and not working out due to injuries.

CM Punk signs on big fanfare. Every thing is working out perfectly. It's all built to a crescendo and...he needs surgery after jumping into the crowd. He's back! Great! We can start where we left off. Whoops, that's another 6-8 months out after getting injured on a tope. He got 9 months and now looks like the next 9-12 months out barring the two appearances for All Out.

Christian gets a pretty sweet 9 months all together. Subbing in for Hangman in a feud against Kenny. Teaming up with the Jurassic Express against the SuperKliq. Then its a few months out. Comes back, doesn't do a ton in the ring and when it's time to pull the trigger on the Jungle Boy feud he's out another 6-8 months.

Paul Wight. Finally gets to do some in-ring stuff. Will only be remembered for the QT Marshall filler on PPV. Considering how AEW have used some of their physically limited talent I thought he would be in some Trios or a Battle Royale. He had a couple of 3v1 handicap matches on Dark then it was off for another hip replacement. Came back for a hometown Dark match and months later nothing.

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm not "too strict" is a thing really. Far better they're cautious about those sorts of things.

Yes bad choice of wording on my part there. I agree the more cautious approach is best. I hope for her sake her neck is fine and they dont ever put her in the ring with Sammy and Tay. 

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

It's not dud signings. It's signings that came in with years out and not working out due to injuries.

I’d still dispute this. While Punk and Christian are both injured right now, I don’t think you can fairly say that either of them have not worked out. I’d imagine, prior to All Out, Khan would have been pleased with the contributions of both wrestlers.

As for the show…I felt a bit cold on it, and I can’t really put my finger on why. I can’t help but think the decision to put the tag titles on The Acclaimed was a big mistake. It was a nice moment, but I think they were on to something with Swerve/Lee as a heel tag team. You could have done Swerve/Lee vs FTR, Swerve/Lee vs the BCC (or Bryan/Garcia), Swerve/Lee vs Best Friends, Swerve/Lee vs Lucha Bros in an actual feud, Swerve/Lee vs Sting/Darby - I don’t think the same possibilities are there for The Acclaimed right now. 

That said, I hope they actually give The Acclaimed a decent run with the belts now that they have them. 

I cringed a bit seeing Saraya. AEW doesn’t exactly have the best track record when it comes to being cautious with injured talent. I hope that the checks done on her health have been comprehensive, but I feel like my cynicism towards AEW here is well-earned.