AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I love The Acclaimed but this feels a bit too soon and mostly a knee jerk reaction to their brilliant match at All Out. And I agree with RedRooster that there is definitely something there with Swerve and Lee. The grumpy, grizzly and quiet brick wall and the cocky, loud mouth dickhead who pokes out from behind the wall to shoot arrows is a perfect heel act. The Acclaimed don't really even need the titles at this point and if they lose them anytime soon they'll be a bit fucked. 

18 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I felt a bit cold on it, and I can’t really put my finger on why.

I felt the same. I think it's while there's a lot of great characters and wrestling there's not really much story telling going on so there's no genuine emotional catharsis attached to any of it.

48 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I felt the same. I think it's while there's a lot of great characters and wrestling there's not really much story telling going on so there's no genuine emotional catharsis attached to any of it.

Yeah agree with this. They spent a year setting up Punk's title reign and there's a big sense of anti-climax/lack of direction now that its clear we're never getting to the fireworks factory.

Its a shame they didn't save the MJF-is-the-Joker reveal until after All Out. Everything would feel a lot more coherent and purposeful if he'd unmasked immediately after the Mox/Danielson title match.

Edited by Pinc

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Its a shame they didn't save the MJF-is-the-Joker reveal until after All Out. Everything would feel a lot more coherent and purposeful if he'd unmasked immediately after the Mox/Danielson title match.

In hindsight it was for the best. With Punk and the Elite of TV, MJF has been able to keep up the interest and had time to shine/fill. 

Strong argument for CM Punk's greatest contribution to wrestling being elevating his peers due to his attitude. DB probably wouldn't have had his WM 30 moment if Punk hadn't quit, and MJF has been elevated, first by their feud and now by him being off again. 

I found the biggest problems with this week's Dynamite was none of it really mattered, despite so many titles being on the line. 

Jericho winning the ROH title could turn out to be a masterstroke but at this point one of the biggest criticisms of AEW is them putting too much focus on ROH. So does anyone really give a toss right now? Like I said, in a couple of months it could be seen as genius. At the the time, it feels oh Jericho won some title.

After the first match between Swerve in our Glory and The Acclaimed, it was obvious that the rematch was made for The Acclaimed to win the titles so there was no shock or surprise in that one. The crowd were nowhere near into the sequel either because of the telegraphed result. The big moment had to come at All Out. This one fell flat to me due to the obvious nature of it.

The All-Atlantic championship doesn't seem to have any buzz around it. Maybe because nobody seems certain as to what it's meant to be. Also Orange Cassidy seems a bit stale for me right now. There's no development from when he and PAC were competing in triple threat matches for the World title.

It never felt like Storm was losing the interim women's title and again who would give a toss if she did to any of the other three in the match? There's some potential possibilities in the women's division that could pique the intrigue of some but right now they're not Deeb, Athena or Baker. Saraya turning up was a nice surprise and can hopefully add something to the division but in fairness she (or anyone else for that matter) can only do so if they're allowed to. 

And finally the World title between Mox and Danielson should have been fever pitch for everybody who watches AEW but because it feels that whoever won is just holding it until they decide it's time for MJF to cash in, this actual match felt inconsequential. It's the third time Mox has been AEW World champ (in one guise or another) in three months. The only little bit of interest was promoted before the match when Danielson said he's beaten everybody he's lost to in AEW except Mox. And now he's lost again to him, it could be one of their long running stories that turns out to be pure gold. Otherwise though, I couldn't have cared less who won that match.

Overall, everything felt like if it wouldn't have felt out of place on any ordinary Dynamite or if it hadn't happened at all.

1 hour ago, Pinc said:

Yeah agree with this. They spent a year setting up Punk's title reign and there's a big sense of anti-climax/lack of direction now that its clear we're never getting to the fireworks factory.

MJF gave it away on the night when we got a flash of terribly fake tanned wrist as he walked to the back. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

After the first match between Swerve in our Glory and The Acclaimed, it was obvious that the rematch was made for The Acclaimed to win the titles so there was no shock or surprise in that one. The crowd were nowhere near into the sequel either because of the telegraphed result.

Did you mean 'nowhere near *as* into'? Because the crowd were popping like crazy for this match.

I love that The Acclaimed won. Don't care about the timing. It was a nice moment and it might drive some future stories as hinted at. FTR look to be sniffing near the belts finally so we can stop Milhouse sobbing. 

The All-Atlantic title feels like Regals old idea of the TV belt. Take it round the world and occasionally in AEW. Cassidy is taking that belt from him down the road me thinks. 

Also, DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TOUCH TONY SCHIAVONE. 

1 minute ago, chokeout said:

Jericho getting the ROH belt has got to be to put a bigger name on the brand for a TV deal, right? 

I would've thought so. From a business perspective I get it, but it's a shame Claudio didn't really get a meaningful reign. Feels like he got his 'moment' and that was it really.

Just now, DavidB6937 said:

I would've thought so. From a business perspective I get it, but it's a shame Claudio didn't really get a meaningful reign. Feels like he got his 'moment' and that was it really.

If I had an ROH belt I’d want the stink of it off me as son as possible. Anyone with real star power should be avoiding them like the plague. Be as well bringing the nwa North American title back. 

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

What’s the last truly great storyline that AEW ran? Punk/MJF, perhaps? After Revolution, it feels like AEW went on a sharp decline, then after Double or Nothing, it feels like they completely lost their competence in telling stories. It’s such a shame.

32 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Jericho getting the ROH belt has got to be to put a bigger name on the brand for a TV deal, right? 

If they had a TV deal we would have heard about it i'm sure. They put more hype into Elevation starting up than whatever's going on right now.

If they're doing an October PPV, they're probably relaunching Honor Club as well. Since that was supposed to be happening at this time of year. Maybe they'll be putting a show on that since they're running twice a week.