AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I honestly don't think that's fair - while his use of the word "announcement" for new signings annoys me, I think the vast majority of his announcements have delivered. The only exception I can think of was Christian (I'm not saying that there haven't been others) - and I get the impression he hyped that one in the way that he did because he genuinely likes Christian. I may end up eating my words after he makes the announcement tonight, but to date, I think he has a good track record with this. 

Yeah, this. Other than Christian’s debut being a bit of a letdown most of what Khan hypes has delivered. People losing their minds, shouting, “Dixie!” and endlessly complaining about the announcements has jumped the shark far more than the announcements themselves.

I often have things I criticise about AEW, but in general it’s so refreshing to have a wrestling show I look forward to watching every week.

Every Wednesday I start to get that faint feeling of excitement and start planning when I can watch on the Thursday.

Its nice. That’s it really. That’s the message.

• Paid Members

MJF vs. CM Punk is a masterpiece. On par if not better than Omega vs. Hangman. After decades of dumb babyfaces being outsmarted by heels, I love that so much more thought is being put into this stuff so as to get the same result but without making your hero look like a moron. We could all guess where things were going (especially with everyone wearing their whitest whites, straight out of a Daz DoorStep Challenge!) but at the core CM Punk wasn't fooled because he's an idiot, he was fooled because he wants to be a better man. And Max is a bigger prick than ever  for exploiting his past trauma to gain a cheap, shitty advantage. Amazing, all-time stuff. I remember thinking the Jericho feud was elevating Max. This is leagues above. CM Punk has made a megastar here. It's an absolute tragedy he sat on the couch for seven years considering the six months he's already had. The success of this run might be more humiliating to WWE than him winning that court case.

9 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Since RoH announced they were letting contracts lapse there has been the occasional bit of news of talent backstage at AEW tapings. Briscoes, Gresham, Flip Gordon most recently. Might be missing a few. Since there's been no debuts, it's possible they were negotiating.

You would have to think negotiations have been ongoing, and the fact they have Samoa Joe going into their Hall of Fame makes me wonder if they'll kick off this new era with his big return. You also have loads of fringe talent in AEW who would likely welcome a stint in ROH. It could be great for the likes of Private Party, Varsity Blondes, Shawn Dean and even someone like Kazarian, who would surely welcome the opportunity to wrestle more often.  

40 minutes ago, Supremo said:

MJF vs. CM Punk is a masterpiece. On par if not better than Omega vs. Hangman.

I totally agree. Very early on in AEW, one of the issues I had with MJF was that he was a dick for the sake of it, there was no real motivation behind his actions - it sometimes felt like he was trying too hard; "playing" the role of a villain, and doing the things that he thought a villain should do, with no logic to it. 

Now, that's obviously a dated complaint; but there's no way anyone can have that complaint about MJF every again, there's no question about what is driving him, and why he has become the person that he has become. What's more, the groundwork has been laid for his eventual redemption and face turn, somewhere down the line. It's just that at the moment, he doesn't want to be redeemed.

Given other developments on this show, I'm assuming MJF will transition into a feud with Wardlow next. If I was Tony Khan, I'd be tempted to cast that feud aside. Regardless of the outcome of Sunday's match, I'm not convinced that a feud with Wardlow would do anything other than hurt MJF's momentum. I hope they strike while the iron is hot, and put the title on him quickly. 

Yeah, the MJF/Wardlow feud doesn’t feel right now as someone would have to lose.

I think Punk wins on Sunday, but I’d love to see them just go for MJF. They’d have a made man.

Mad that there’s only a years difference between MJF and someone like Dominik Mysterio, isn’t it?

The Dog Collar Match could go either way, but an MJF win will do much more for him than Punk winning, he doesn’t need it in the same way MJF does and going two straight over Punk in big matches will cement him at the top going into Double or Nothing. Interesting to see whether or not the World Title match closes the show or not (I imagine it will) but Punk v MJF is definitely the main draw.

Speaking of the World Title, I’m sure it will be a competent match filled with Adam Cole’s usually bad habits, but I don’t think anyone believes for a second that Page is dropping the belt on Sunday.

I hope that Eddie Kingston beats Jericho. His mic work gets him through and onto whatever comes next, but Kingston needs a big win.

The Woman’s Tag Team match was pretty sloppy in places, but everything was decent for a go-home show

14 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I honestly don't think that's fair - while his use of the word "announcement" for new signings annoys me, I think the vast majority of his announcements have delivered. The only exception I can think of was Christian (I'm not saying that there haven't been others) - and I get the impression he hyped that one in the way that he did because he genuinely likes Christian. I may end up eating my words after he makes the announcement tonight, but to date, I think he has a good track record with this. 

Child of rich parents playing wrestling promoter because its fun - check.

Hot-shot booking - check.

'Major announcement that will change the face of the wrestling business' almost every week -  check.

Putting people in positions of influence who tell them they have great credentials in the business instead of those who ACTUALLY have great credentials in the business - check. 

I mean, there ARE quite glaring similarities in fairness. 

• Paid Members

The natural progression felt like MJF wins on Sunday -> challenges Hangman at Double or Nothing -> loses the title match at the PPV and then Wardlow does the big turn the following Wednesday.

Now though? I’d be tempted to have MJF beat Punk and then beat Hangman for the title. Unbelievably, the Wardlow thing now feels like it’s the wrong time! Like we haven’t waited long enough!

Oh well. I can do with another six months of cockteasing. Spears bottling it and diverting his eyes when they went face to face was amazing.

18 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Now though? I’d be tempted to have MJF beat Punk and then beat Hangman for the title. Unbelievably, the Wardlow thing now feels like it’s the wrong time! Like we haven’t waited long enough!

The best part about this storyline is that they can go a number of directions with it. Punk could win, allowing them to revisit the feud when MJF is champion, allowing him to hold that victory over MJF's head. Punk could lose, chase his first victory over MJF when he's champion - and actually win the belt, in a moment that, if done right, could be goosebump inducing. It could culminate, eventually, in the two teaming up as heels...there are loads of interesting directions for this to go, and very few of them seem incorrect. 

(If MJF does win the belt, I'd love to see Eddie Kingston dethrone him eventually - a feud between the two could be absolutely phenomenal)

25 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

'Major announcement that will change the face of the wrestling business' almost every week -  check.

Putting people in positions of influence who tell them they have great credentials in the business instead of those who ACTUALLY have great credentials in the business - check. 

Ah come on now, you have to ignore key details to pretend that this is all true. 

The first point - Tony Khan was a childhood wrestling fan, Dixie was not. Their motivations for doing this are entirely different. 

As far as hot-shot booking goes - do you even watch AEW? That's demonstrably untrue. I mean, fuck, one of the main complaints people have had on this very thread is that they aren't giving away enough in the way of big matches. Take Cody, for example - look at all of the big matches that they didn't do, that they could have done. Then look at the pacing of some of their storylines - if anything, they do the opposite to hot-shot booking. 

Your point on major announcements - again, that's a massive exaggeration. If you disagree, list your top three most underwhelming AEW announcements that have been hyped as "major". If they do this "almost every week", that should be pretty easy. 

As for this one...

Where the heck has that come from? Has anyone ever accused Tony Khan of doing that? Who, specifically, are you referring to, and how, specifically, do you know that they are in that position for the reasons you say, and that they are doing poorly in their role?

39 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Absolutely clueless as usual

• Paid Members

I mean, I'm no fan of Tony Khan, but hot-shotting is one term that surely can't be labelled at AEW and if the 'putting people in positions of influence' is in reference to the EVP's, then that's ludicrous as they essentially created it on Tony's dime. 

Sometimes you've just got to give credit where credit is due.