Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

15 hours ago, NeverYield said:

That's where my first comment comes in. Jake probably has good basics for what he is,a late comer who is learning on the job, but that's as far as it goes, and to be fair to him that's all you can expect. But to someone who has boxed as a youth and done a bit before turning over, it's worlds apart. Again, that's to be expected though

There are many other factors involved as well, though. I'm sure Tyron Woodley even remarked that he felt a bit of pressure when facing Paul and thought the fight week was pretty full-on, which is coming from a former UFC Champion who should be more used to the spotlight than most.

You could pluck a kid from York Hall who's a few fights deep into his career, but the occasion would be a factor. All that attention, fighting in the US, the media, the press conferences, the profile of facing Jake Paul. 

There would be a lot of factors, including the one you mentioned above. 

I'm sure I heard Jake say in an interview as well that when he got into the game, he really didn't have the luxury of doing what most fighters at his level do. He wouldn't have the anonymity afforded most of them. He was already a well-known public figure in the US, and even his first fight would always be a big occasion, so he could either embrace it and find a way to make it work, or let it deter him. 

Basically, the two brothers are anomalies in the sport. But, as I said above, I think they'll be remembered more for changing how the game works than their actual in-ring accomplishments. Boxing needed something like them to push it forward. For a while, the UFC was absolutely rinsing boxing, and the so-called YouTube fights have helped shift some of the attention back onto boxing, like it or not. 

It's now down to boxing what they do with the attention.

5 hours ago, David said:

There are many other factors involved as well, though. I'm sure Tyron Woodley even remarked that he felt a bit of pressure when facing Paul and thought the fight week was pretty full-on, which is coming from a former UFC Champion who should be more used to the spotlight than most.

You could pluck a kid from York Hall who's a few fights deep into his career, but the occasion would be a factor. All that attention, fighting in the US, the media, the press conferences, the profile of facing Jake Paul. 

There would be a lot of factors, including the one you mentioned above. 

I'm sure I heard Jake say in an interview as well that when he got into the game, he really didn't have the luxury of doing what most fighters at his level do. He wouldn't have the anonymity afforded most of them. He was already a well-known public figure in the US, and even his first fight would always be a big occasion, so he could either embrace it and find a way to make it work, or let it deter him. 

Basically, the two brothers are anomalies in the sport. But, as I said above, I think they'll be remembered more for changing how the game works than their actual in-ring accomplishments. Boxing needed something like them to push it forward. For a while, the UFC was absolutely rinsing boxing, and the so-called YouTube fights have helped shift some of the attention back onto boxing, like it or not. 

It's now down to boxing what they do with the attention.

Yup the occasion could crumble people that's 100% correct, at much lower levels you see it quite often, someone who is absolutely mustard on the pads and the bag, and generally excels in all areas of training, but just goes to bits on fight night, you see it a lot in amateur gyms, some phenomenal physical ability, but the mental side just isn't there. 

Yeah they've definitely made a mark. Boxing is, and has been for a long time, very much a sport that if it was left to the hardcores only wouldn't do very good gates or PPV numbers, so the profile they have and the fact they have likely brought new eyes to the sport is positive, but boxings problem is a problem of its own imo, up until last year, which was a very solid year matchmaking wise, the levels of opposition and matchmaking has been woeful, now with fights being moved into an area where money is just too much to say no to (which is mental cos the big dogs in boxing already make an absolute fortune anyway) then we could well be on the way to some quality match ups, plus marketing is an issue with boxing, promoting, it's not done so well. Again hardcores know who certain guys are, for example Inoue, Boots Ennis at people like that, who are great fighters to watch, but many outside of that remit do not, and they are not particularly marketed very well. 

When you look at the Paul's I think they are pretty shrewd, and know where the money is, and the money boxing generates compared to MMA is a night and day difference. That's not to say that MMA doesn't have the more solid match ups, and cards, because largely for years it has done, but I think it's a shame they get paid what they do because there is no doubt the running of UFC, and other MMA orgs is brilliant. 

It is easier to get crackers in the UFC though because they are all under Dana White so there is very little politics that can get in the way and block a fight from happening, its a simple clean cut road. Boxing as so many promoters and middle men and managers that it gets all a bit silly, and blocks things. But again, with fights happening in money land now I do think we will see this less and less.

Edited by NeverYield

• Paid Members

Not official yet but Charles Johnson and Jake Hadley both tweeted yesterday that they have fights signed. I tweeted something about them most likely fighting each other and look who liked it…

IMG_6197.jpeg.0e848cd5bdce3d90f63409e4a41c9eb2.jpeg

I think we’ve got a fight. Detective Wand with the scoops 🤣

• Paid Members

Sweet I missed that one.

Saw yesterday as well that this is gonna headline the Apex card on March 2nd…

IMG_6014.thumb.jpeg.00517c5c6a279d0fff1354afb6effe8c.jpeg

Christ. 

The endless mediocre Middleweight main events have been getting shat on so their answer is to give us more Heavyweight headliners? Tuivasa vs Tybura tops the following Apex card as well. And to think this March 2nd card was the one that was supposed to be in Saudi Arabia. The card as a whole is pretty wank but I’d have taken the Muhammad Mokaev vs Alex Perez fight as main event over Rozey vs Gaziev any day. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Sweet I missed that one.

Saw yesterday as well that this is gonna headline the Apex card on March 2nd…

IMG_6014.thumb.jpeg.00517c5c6a279d0fff1354afb6effe8c.jpeg

Christ. 

The endless mediocre Middleweight main events have been getting shat on so their answer is to give us more Heavyweight headliners? Tuivasa vs Tybura tops the following Apex card as well. And to think this March 2nd card was the one that was supposed to be in Saudi Arabia. The card as a whole is pretty wank but I’d have taken the Muhammad Mokaev vs Alex Perez fight as main event over Rozey vs Gaziev any day. 

😅 That's a shambles. Yet another Fight Night consigned to the bin that I'll be avoiding. They don't make it difficult for people to ignore these shows. Put something at least half way interesting on the top two fights and I'll check out the show. When guff like this is the main event then I'm blanking the whole card. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me when their roster is chock full of people in the exciting, lighter weight divisions, 170 and lower, (ignoring the black hole that is W135). Put these two lumps third from the top and there's not nearly the negativity. Baffling.