Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Never saw this one coming…

IMG_6691.thumb.jpeg.84017e2dc451e73498d41c60fa432d60.jpeg

I actually like it though. No doubt there’ll be some moaning because Erceg isn’t that well known but those same fans are also always moaning that the Flyweight title picture is constant rematches. At least this is a fresh fight and Erceg has looked good in the fights I’ve seen. Sod it. It is gonna be a bit weak if this ends up headlining 301 but, by throwing Alex Pereira on 300, they haven’t left themselves with a lot of options. Good fight though. 

• Paid Members

I thought it’d be Mokaev next given he’s higher ranked, undefeated etc and Mokaev’s taken to Twitter to complain about it. But I think this all comes down to how both looked in their last fights. Erceg got the one punch KO over Schnell whereas Mokaev won a dull and unconvincing decision over an Alex Perez who was coming off a long layoff. I could swear Mokaev was calling out Royval on social media after that fight as well. 

• Paid Members

Mokaev definitely deserved the shot, and I can see why he'd be very pissed off about it. Just goes to show what a highlight reel performance can do for you. Maybe Mokaev has pissed off the brass somewhere along the line because he's a fairly outspoken fighter.

• Paid Members

Yeah possibly. Might just be as simple as they like Erceg as well. Then Mokaev’s last fight being a bit crap made the matchmakers decision easier. Mokaev’s mentioned fighting Royval a few times on the rumoured Manchester card, I’d be up for that. Although it might make more sense to put that on the same card as Pantoja vs Erceg incase someone pulls out.

While we’re on the subject of that Brazil PPV, I can’t remember who it was but it was a well known journalist tweeted that there’s rumours of a co-main for that card which “everyone’s gonna love”. We’ll see. But looking at the card in its current form, yeah, it definitely needs something

IMG_6883.jpeg

IMG_6884.jpeg

• Paid Members

Bit of a shitty message to send to the roster, though, isn't it? Mokaev's had twice as many matches in the UFC as Erceg has, and he's undefeated. Very few fighters go their whole careers without at least one or two dodgy performances, and either way, he won it. And it's not like he hasn't had spectacular or entertaining matches before, either. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Mokaev’s mentioned fighting Royval a few times on the rumoured Manchester card, I’d be up for that.

Yeah that would be a great number 1 contender fight for Manchester

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Bit of a shitty message to send to the roster, though, isn't it? Mokaev's had twice as many matches in the UFC as Erceg has, and he's undefeated. Very few fighters go their whole careers without at least one or two dodgy performances, and either way, he won it. And it's not like he hasn't had spectacular or entertaining matches before, either. 

It is but it’s not surprising either. Not saying I agree with Erceg getting the shot over Mokaev, by the way, just speculating on why they went that route. And I do think it might’ve been as simple as looking at both their last fights and going with the guy who got a highlight reel KO over the guy who won a lacklustre decision. Right or wrong, one’s gonna look better in the promo than the other.

Another factor could be that they probably wanna have Mokaev in a prominent position on that Manchester card. It’s only a Fight Night so there’s every chance he might headline that one, which would be big for him on home soil. And say he headlines against a Royval in a title eliminator and wins, he’d likely be getting the winner of Pantoja/Erceg by the end of the year anyway. At 23, there’s really no big rush with Mokaev. If anything, I think the more fights he gets in before the title shot the better. I know he wants to break that record as the youngest UFC champ and I get that, but based on what we’ve seen in his last few fights, I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready for Pantoja. A 5 rounder against Royval or something, with home support in Manchester…it’s only one fight’s worth more experience but I think it could benefit him. If he could finish a guy like Royval (who just beat Moreno) it’d be a big boost. Even if he wins a decision, he’s got that first taste of 5 round experience. Could actually work out better for Mokaev this way. If Pantoja beats Erceg (I expect he will but we’ll see) then Mokaev challenging Pantoja towards the end of the year is probably gonna go down in Vegas and he’ll have had more prep time. If he got the call for this 301 card he’d be going into hostile territory and facing Pantoja in Brazil in just 6/7 weeks from now. Time is on Mokaev’s side here. 

6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Another factor could be that they probably wanna have Mokaev in a prominent position on that Manchester card. It’s only a Fight Night so there’s every chance he might headline that one, which would be big for him on home soil.

You'd imagine they'd tell him that then. Unless he's just seen the booking and went right to the Twitter app without asking the company what the deal is.