Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

Is that on Prime? Any provider offering boxing shows available on-demand after the event finishes will always get my vote. being able to wake up, stick on the kettle and watch an event on my telly in HD is all I ask.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, David said:

Is that on Prime? Any provider offering boxing shows available on-demand after the event finishes will always get my vote. being able to wake up, stick on the kettle and watch an event on my telly in HD is all I ask.

Yeah all of PBC's content has moved to Amazon Prime. I'm not 100% sure if the UK is included, but i'm hoping it is.

This really does feel like the wheels have fallen off and it's all lost attention and popularity because he's now going against "real boxers" but ones that would struggle having a fight outside spoons on a Friday 

Who are you expecting him to fight? He's basically a 1-1 novice?

AJ fought someone called Konstantin Airich in his 8th pro fight, who was 21-11 at the time. 

Mateusz Masternak, ranked 10th in the cruiserweight division, fought a guy who has a record of 7-40 in his 8th fight.

I'm no fan of Paul, but it seems that if he fights an MMA fighter the fans are like "boooo! fight a real boxer!!" then when he fights a real boxer the fans are still like "boooo! fight...erm...well, a DIFFERENT real boxer!!"

It's all Jake Paul's nonsense talk and insulting fans intelligence, he's in it for the money, fine, he does train somewhat hard and has made the effort to mix in pro gyms and learn.

If he wanted a legitimate boxing career he would do it how all fledgling pros do it, and then we would see his level and what he's got.

At least that Saudi fella wants to put an end to 'YouTube' boxing and doesn't want to entertain it at all, if it wasn't for that absolute mess we may not have seen Paul so much. 

There's journeyman and people who have just turned over boxing at York Hall who would flatten Jake Paul. 

Maybe have a couple like this and then go through the ranks, rather than rolling out ex MMA names.

Edited by NeverYield

• Paid Members

I dont think anyone has parlayed a single unexpected win into a real successful boxing career like Kambosos. Talk about maximising limited potential, you have to give him credit.

9 hours ago, NeverYield said:

It's all Jake Paul's nonsense talk and insulting fans intelligence, he's in it for the money, fine, he does train somewhat hard and has made the effort to mix in pro gyms and learn.

Sorry to break it to you, but every single professional boxer who laces up gloves is in it for the money. That's the very reason they're there.

9 hours ago, NeverYield said:

If he wanted a legitimate boxing career he would do it how all fledgling pros do it, and then we would see his level and what he's got.

And how is that? By fighting schlubs who have ridiculous losing records? Go and look at the records of the guys Fury, Joshua, Hatton, Mayweather, all of them fought early in their careers.

Or is it that he used his smarts to find a way to get paid for those early fights that you don't like? Should he have fought absolute cans with lopsided records in small halls up and down the US for next to nothing? Would that have been better?

He substituted those bums that most boxers fight early in their careers for MMA fighters with recognisable names. There isn't much difference in the competition there. Paul was fighting other fighters who had similar boxing records as he did. 

10 hours ago, NeverYield said:

There's journeyman and people who have just turned over boxing at York Hall who would flatten Jake Paul.

No, there isn't. That kind of chat is yesterday's news. What sticks in the craw of "real boxing" fans is that Paul hasn't followed the traditional route of making zero money and beating absolute bums for the first ten or so fights of his career. He's had the sheer audacity to go out and put in the extra work of making a name for himself and generating a decent wedge of cash.

Jake Paul is a very good athlete. He can crack, and he has a chin. Don't sell him short. Is he going to be world-class? Most likely not, but the notion that some 0-0 chump fighting in front of eight people at York Hall would flatten him isn't true. If it were, he'd have lost already by now. He's fought guys who know how to hit, and if he was a complete fraud he'd have lost by now.

Teddy Atlas summed up Paul perfectly a few years back when he said:

“He knows he needs a basic respect, an understanding of distance and range, and you can see he’s embraced these fundamentals. He’s allowing these to guide him as he advances and I give him credit for that. He’s raw. He’s green around the gills, no doubt. But y’know, he can punch. He can get your attention if he hits you."

"He wants to be an entertainer. That’s a big plus. I don’t think people come close to understanding the importance of that."

“I was asked what makes a good inside fighter by a reporter one time. Well, you got to keep your hands in good, offensive position. Rotate your shoulders. Don’t get tied up. Create those little six-inch spaces for a one-two punch. Move your feet backwards, create a little room when you get smothered. Have a sense about yourself, don’t lean in to catch uppercuts. But this is all a complete waste of time without the most important thing...You have to want to be an inside fighter! And that’s what I mean about Jake Paul. You gotta really want to be a fighter [to perform in front of big audiences] and he does.”

“One thing I noticed was about the second Woodley fight, Is that Paul was starting to get calm in an uncalm environment. When you’re not calm [in the ring] it’s a graffiti board of thoughts. Everything’s all over the place. When you’re calm you can see specific forms. And I recognize that he is getting to the place where he can see these forms, where he can think clearly and execute a shot."

“Everybody talks about it was a big right hand in Atlanta [that KO’ed Woodley], but that wasn’t what impressed me so much, it was the delivery system for the punch that he’d figured out would work. And that’s what struck me. With Woodley he bent down low, hit him in the body and [only] then he threw high. He knew that would make Woodley stand straight, because he thought the danger would be below, and then Paul would come above with the right hand. And he did. And nobody really talked about it."

“I’m not making more of it than should be made, Paul’s still a guy in the very, very early stages of development. And don’t fool yourself and think he’s ready for more than he’s ready for, because he’s not. But he is making progress.”

Is Teddy talking shite? 

10 hours ago, NeverYield said:

At least that Saudi fella wants to put an end to 'YouTube' boxing and doesn't want to entertain it at all, if it wasn't for that absolute mess we may not have seen Paul so much. 

Yeah, thank fuck for "that Saudi fella." I'm sure he has boxing's best interests at heart, eh? 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Or is it that he used his smarts to find a way to get paid for those early fights that you don't like?

What I admire is how he essentially cut out those non boxers who are in it for the money. He isn’t beholden to an influential promoter or stable manager and can negotiate his own fights without others getting a slice of that pie. More of it, please!