Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I’m really torn with this because of how much I love Francis. On one hand he originally went into that fight with Tyson and had the entire world saying he had no chance to get the opportunity to even throw a punch close to Tyson and only a mind boggling small amount was behind him and knew how dangerous he is.

It wasn’t about knowing how dangerous he was though, to be fair. Everyone knew how dangerous Francis was. You’re right that there weren’t many saying he’d win but that wasn’t mind boggling. People were heavily favouring Fury for good reason going in. I remember the buildup clearly and everyone I saw picking Francis were basically either pinning their hopes on him landing the perfect punch and scoring the upset KO or they were just saying “I don’t know, I’ve just got a feeling he wins”. A feeling. It wasn’t some expert analysis that the rest of us were missing or that we didn’t know what Francis could do. The fact he did so well means those few who had “a feeling” can now claim they ‘knew he was gonna win or do well all along’. They didn’t. 

Fury was rightly expected to win going in and the few picking Ngannou were doing so purely out of wishful thinking from what I saw. Nobody called that fight to go how it went. Absolutely nobody. Not one single opinion or prediction I read going in had Ngannou going a full 10 rounds with Tyson and arguably winning a decision. The knockdown wasn’t so much of a surprise in itself because Ngannou always posed that threat early. It was the way he handled Tyson’s tricks and the way fought over the course of the fight that was so impressive and surprising. Everyone thought Ngannou was coming in just looking for the KO. A Hail Mary, basically. And if he did that, I’d say there’s a decent chance he wouldn’t have landed anything. Nobody knew Ngannou could actually box a bit. And by that I mean actually box, not just ‘boxing for MMA’. 

7 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

But he said his next fight would be back in a cage and I wanted that so much too because we haven't seen MMA Francis for so so long now it is how this shit goes I know that but the original fanbase suffers and has to wait God knows how long to see him in the octagon again 

If he fights MMA again (big doubts about that now) it’s gonna be in PFL anyway. Won’t be the Octagon. And while I’d happily watch Francis wherever he fights, there are no Heavyweights in PFL I’m dying to see him fight. If it’s a choice between Ngannou vs some interchangeable Heavyweight in PFL or another massive Boxing match against Anthony Joshua, I’ll take the AJ fight every single time. Ngannou is 37 now. He hasn’t got time to piss about. These monster fights are coming at the perfect time for him and he’d be absolutely insane to let them slip away in favour of arsing about in PFL for less money, less visibility, less excitement and less to potentially add to his legacy. 

Depending on how this AJ fight goes (he’ll most likely lose but at this point fuck knows?) I wouldn’t be surprised if we never see Francis in MMA again. And to be honest, considering we’re never gonna see the Jones fight, the Stipe trilogy decider or bombfests with the new breed like Aspinall and Pavlovich anyway…I’m cool with him not fighting in MMA again. Sucks for PFL if he doesn’t but as a fan, he’s done enough in MMA and he’s adding to it with these Boxing fights. As much as I wanna see him fight those names above in the UFC, at the same time fuck Dana. He could’ve been part of all of this. He could’ve been involved with these huge Ngannou vs Fury/AJ fights like he was with McGregor vs Mayweather PLUS he’d still have Ngannou on board for whatever fights they had for him in the UFC. But he chose to be a greedy, cantankerous, control freak prick and now he gets nothing from it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Ah shit.

So Weidman comes back in August, looks terrible losing to Brad Tavares. And the matchmakers response is to then book him against Silva, who knocked Tavares out not too long ago? I know MMA Maths and all that. But considering Dana was publicly saying Weidman should retire after the loss to Tavares, I think it’s obvious what they’re going for here. I know there was probably also an element of ring rust last time but I’m not convinced it was all about that. He was in a slump before the leg injury and he looked completely shot in his comeback fight. Haven’t got a good feeling about this one at all. 

• Paid Members

Couple of corkers announced to kick the week off…

And 

Both kind of surprised me but both great fights. And with Oliveira vs Tsarukyan now booked, that can only mean we’re getting Makhachev vs Gaethje for the title! I like it.

Fair play to Poirier for taking that Saint-Denis fight as well. I thought he’d just entered that ‘big names and fun fights’ phase of his career. This is a risky fight for relatively little reward but it should be a hell of a scrap.

Never expected any other big fights to get announced for 299 either. It was already absolutely loaded. Just look at this card…

Sean O’Malley vs Chito Vera 2 - BW Title

Dustin Poirier vs Benoit Saint-Denis 

Kevin Holland vs Michael Page

Curtis Blaydes vs Jailton Almeida 

Petr Yan vs Song Yadong 

Gilbert Burns vs Jack Della Maddalena 

Mateusz Gamrot vs Rafael Dos Anjos 

Maycee Barber vs Katlyn Chookagian 

Pedro Munhoz vs Kyler Phillips 

CJ Vergara vs Assu Almabayev 

Christ! Easily better than 300 at the moment. Not even exaggerating when I say the top 7 fights there could all be main events in their own right. 

• Paid Members

Those are two really, really good fights that I absolutely didn't expect to be coming down the pipe. The Poirier/Saint-Denis one especially. Glad to see it. The Tsarukyan one - somebody in that upper realm had to fight him next, but I was expecting a bit of a sitting out period before there was enough arm wrangling to get a fight like this booked. 

Chris Weidman being back again? Well, that's not good news is it? 😞

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Those are two really, really good fights that I absolutely didn't expect to be coming down the pipe. The Poirier/Saint-Denis one especially. 

There was a fair bit of talk that Saint-Denis vs Beneil Dariush was in the works to headline the Atlantic City card in March. But I read a quote from Saint-Denis’ manager yesterday saying it was either gonna be Dariush or “a mystery second opponent” and that the mystery one was more likely to happen. As soon as I read that I knew it had to be a big name. Even then though, I didn’t really expect Poirier.

This all works out nicely now. Makhachev vs Gaethje and Oliveira vs Tsarukyan with the winners facing off later in the year. That’s the way to go.

Edit - OK, just actually watched Dana’s announcement. Seems we’re not getting Makhachev vs Gaethje after all. Makhachev’s recovering from an injury so the winner of Oliveira vs Tsarukyan will face Makhachev when he returns.

Fuck it, do Gaethje vs Holloway for the BMF bollocks belt. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Love that Saint-Denis has got a crack. You just wouldn't expect Poirier to take that kind of fight at this stage, but props to him.

Saint-Denis' rise has been great. Started off in the 'too tough for his own good' cateogory and just made it to cult-like BMF territory by just challenging people to out-tough him. What a guy. 

• Paid Members

Yeah he called out Poirier and Gaethje after his last fight and, while I loved the sound of those fights, I genuinely thought Benoit was wasting his time because those guys would be looking for big names only. Chuffed that this one’s happening.

Got to give credit to Dustin. He could’ve held out for a Gaethje rubber match or made another play to reheat the McGregor thing or something. To take a fight like this when he’s coming off a knockout loss is ballsy. A lot of guys in his position would just try to sit on their ranking (he’s still at #3 currently) and fight names but he’s taking a risky fight with a younger, fresher, confident and dangerous guy on the rise. The more I think about it I really love the matchup.

22 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah, I see him taking some damage in that. What is Weidman even trying to prove at this point?

Just checked, and his official pay for his last fight was $426,000. For current day UFC, thats a nice chunk of change that most dont make. To put it into perspective, he pretty much got paid (officially) the same as OMalley, Aljo and Zhang Weili on the same show. Hes sort of cashing in on his previous glories, so is probably hoping to bank those half a mill payouts for however many fights he has left on his contract. Cant blame him for that in my eyes.

Jesus fuck that UFC 299 show is ridiculous. They must be fucking confident with the UFC 300 card after it to stack this one the way they have. Also I do think it needed a big strong co main with it being the first Sean o malley main event as champion card just to make sure it really pulls 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Dai said:

Just checked, and his official pay for his last fight was $426,000. For current day UFC, thats a nice chunk of change that most dont make. To put it into perspective, he pretty much got paid (officially) the same as OMalley, Aljo and Zhang Weili on the same show. Hes sort of cashing in on his previous glories, so is probably hoping to bank those half a mill payouts for however many fights he has left on his contract. Cant blame him for that in my eyes.

Fair, but whilst the money ain't gonna hurt, I do get the impression that Weidman believes he can be amongst the Worlds Best Middleweights. I sense its more about glory for him at this stage.

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s obviously always gonna be down to the money thing to some degree but I genuinely think Weidman thinks he’s got another run in him. The way he was talking before his comeback fight against Tavares, he was on about getting back to the title and how he thought Adesanya (champ at the time) was a good matchup for him and stuff. It really seemed like he fully believed it. And it’s not like Weidman’s known for cutting promos or ‘selling fights’. His fight was on the prelims anyway so there was nothing to ‘sell’.