Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, David said:

You'd imagine they'd tell him that then. Unless he's just seen the booking and went right to the Twitter app without asking the company what the deal is. 

I don’t know. Would it really shock you if they didn’t tell him that? This is a company where fighters have found out they’re challenging for a world title via social media. They don’t always bother to clue the fighters up. 

Mokaev tweeted this last night though;

IMG_8303.jpeg.deb2dca9a1cc295f1a2d213d1973ee45.jpeg

I think this is what we’ll see now. 

I admit, I have grown a bit weary of all the chin-strap beard types who've been bulldozing the various divisions with their wrestling, but I have a soft spot for Mokaev. 

Without being all "USA! USA!" about it, he's fighting out of the UK, and I tend to like seeing our lads and girls do quite well if they're not absolute knobs, so I'm hoping he gets that title shot and goes on to win it.

See, this is what does my fucking head in. 

Does the UFC get a call from Aldo's manager saying he wants to come back, one of the UFC's biggest legends, and go away and have a discussion that consists of something like:

"Okay, we've got a legend here who wants to come back for a fight, maybe two if he looks good. What are we thinking, lads?"

"Dom Cruz? He's been inactive for a bit, but that's a good fight. Cody Garbrandt? He's fighting at UFC 300, but by the time Aldo is ready, we could match them up in a total war?"

"Is he firm on bantamweight? If not, why not see if he fancies a lightweight fight with McGregor? Imagine that—a rematch of the century and all that? Josh Emmett? That would be a barn burner! Kron Gracie didn't look great last time out, but imagine the King of Rio vs BJJ royalty? Damn!"

*Dana walks into the office with a big shit-eating grin on his face*

"Forget all of that, lads. I've got it. Jonathan Martinez!!! That's the money fight right there! Ranked 14th! Some of the folk on his street recognise him when he walks past! Who wouldn't want to come out of retirement for that fight, right? Right?!? Get it booked up!!"

Fucking idiots, man.

• Paid Members
On 3/16/2024 at 11:05 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Well fuck. Not sure how to feel about this one…

I'll tell ya how to feel about it Wand. Not good, not good at all. For further clarification, see @David's post. 

Disappointed Aldo decided to come back. If he had fought on, instead of retiring it would have been different - he was still hugely competitive. However actually retiring and then coming back - it rarely works out does it? He should have got the title fight before leaving, off the back of his three fight streak at the time. When he didn't and they paired him up weirdly against Merab? Baffling stuff. 

Coming back now, because he still has that itch, that's fair enough. But have some bloody fun with the match-making. Pairing Aldo with Jonathan Martinez, could be a fun scrap on paper but it neither makes Martinez a number one contender, nor does it do that for Aldo.  Plus, Aldo is as likely to lose that as he would be to win or lose against say Figueiredo, Chito, Cruz, Yair, Ortega, Volk, etc. An old guy, or a top guy - should have been the options. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, the fight itself is probably gonna be a lot of fun. Especially if they decide to trade leg kicks. Martinez has been great to watch recently so, looking at it from his point of view, I’m happy for him that he’s getting a big fight like this. But from the POV of being an Aldo fan, and I’m much more of an Aldo fan than a Martinez fan, it’s definitely not the fight I’d have chosen for Aldo’s comeback. Like you, I’d rather he stayed retired but if he insists on coming back, this isn’t a fight I was clamouring to see.

On 3/17/2024 at 2:14 AM, David said:

“Okay, we've got a legend here who wants to come back for a fight, maybe two if he looks good. What are we thinking, lads?"

"Dom Cruz? He's been inactive for a bit, but that's a good fight.

Apparently Cruz was the rumoured opponent at some point.

I’d have been more up for that, to be fair. Both are at a similar stage in their careers, both legends of the lighter weight classes, both former UFC and WEC champs that never crossed paths etc. Even at this point, I think it’d have been a cool fight. Kind of like when Big Nog fought Randy Couture years ago. 

• Paid Members

Wonder if the UFC put this on the table with it being in Rio and with 301 needing a boost and all. At least Aldo has stayed active since the retirement.

Once again this isn't a bad fight by any means but it's not a main event. I really think they need to cut back on the amount of cards each year even if it's by ten let's just say. I don't think it will necessarily be a negative decision to the overall product and quality of all their shows 

• Paid Members

Saudi card’s taking shape…

That’s the headliner. Also announced for that card;

Sergei Pavlovich vs Alexander Volkov 

Johnny Walker vs Volkan Oezdemir 

Kelvin Gastelum vs Daniel Rodriguez 

Shara Magomedov vs Ihor Potieria 

• Paid Members

That's a pretty tasty looking card right there. Volkov/Pavlovich is a good pairing for Heavyweight, and that main event has the makings of a great fight. Really like that booking there.