General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

A friend of mine worked on Beauty and the Beast, in costume and physical effects. They had planned on The Beast being done as a physical effect, so had a whole team working on it. The costume was done, after a shit ton of work and overtime, when someone in a boardroom decided that, actually, they'd go with CGI instead. They got rid of all but one member of that team, with no notice, and only kept that one because they had made the base layer for the costume and they used that for mo-cap for the CGI beast instead.

So there's another reason why they're shit and their live action remakes are shit.

• Paid Members

They put out a statement last week which I can't be bothered to find because it was so Switzerland in its stance it was pointless. They can keep putting in the representation in their shows and films, and especially good they are doing it in their animated shows, but until they stand against the bill, their actions are redundant.  

• Paid Members

Oh an even more tone deaf response from the people even Disney fans hate and now tonight’s podcast has some extra content all of a sudden 

https://blogmickey.com/2022/03/disney-ceo-bob-chapek-sends-company-wide-email-on-dont-say-gay-bill-will-not-denounce-legistlation/

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

What does I and A stand for in this context?

Indifferent and Apathetic? Like how I feel about the ever growing list of shit I am supposed to be concerned about. 

(talking about my general nihilistic view these days, not LGBT+ issues)

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Don’t really understand why asexual should be included there but not sure it’s the point or a conversation I want to start.

Because it's part of the sexuality spectrum.

58 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Don’t really understand why asexual should be included there but not sure it’s the point or a conversation I want to start.

I suppose the better question would be why shouldn't it be in there?  Would be a bit strange to exclude.

2 hours ago, stumobir said:

Intersex shouldn’t be included in my opinion, it should be INTOSEX. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I suppose the better question would be why shouldn't it be in there?  Would be a bit strange to exclude.

Because I’ve never considered asexuals to be an oppressed or marginalised group needing championing, do people in to BDSM get their own letter or are they in with the pluses?

Seems a bit Triple H/DX to me.

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members

I think it's important that Asexuality be given some form of representation, and I'm happy that it's included in with the broader LGBTQ+ umbrella - it's a minority sexuality, and coming to terms with that identity can involve a lot of the same experiences as discovering that you're gay or bisexual; navigating relationships that you feel on some level pressured into, or denying your experience because it doesn't match societal or cultural expectations, and the whole process of discovering your own sexuality, your relationship to that, and, in some cases, an act of coming out.

I think it's useful to be part of broader Queer groups, because there is shared experience there. It doesn't necessarily have to be about oppression or marginalisation as much as recognition, both institutionally, and for individuals to realise that there are others like them. In terms of oppression, abuse, marginalisation that does exist toward Asexual people, it's not unlike Biphobia in how often it can be seen as not a "real" sexual persuasion, or just a phase, or not really "belonging". More seriously, while I'm not sure of the numbers, a lot of Asexual people end up victims of sexual assault and coercion when romantic partners refuse to accept they have a genuine lack of desire for sex.

49 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Because I’ve never considered asexuals to be an oppressed or marginalised group needing championing, do people in to BDSM get their own letter or are they in with the pluses?

Seems a bit Triple H/DX to me.

Yeah, they fall under “Queer”. Which in itself is a bit too “Heterosexual White person doesn’t want to be boring vanilla” in some cases. But anyway, Disney still hate them and we all hate Disney.