MITB 2021 (memories and pipebombs)

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I’ve only properly watched the (wretched) Women’s Money in the Bank so far but I felt the same about almost every crowd reaction. Everything felt slightly off and artificial. It wasn’t as obvious as it was on Smackdown but nothing sounded normal or organic. It was like they’d mixed everything to specifically distract me from the awful action and embarrassingly contrived spots being executed. Even the finish, where you could see the crowd going nuts, it still didn’t sound quite right.

This will be the lasting legacy of the Covid era. We thought it was going to be shitty magic tricks and hokey camera cuts but it’s actually them developing the ability during a live show to ruin crowd reactions and add that weird hum you only used to get on Saturday mornings on Sky One.

Edited by Supremo

Emjoyed it to be fair, women's MITB match was a bit shite in comparison to what we usually get but enjoyed Lashley's dominant win over Kofi, Charlotte/Rhea and the men's MITB were both great and Reigns/Edge was very good despite the overbooked ending. 

Summerslam should be decent.   

Mad that we get one of the best crowd reactions in years and the first proper good moment in WWE in years yet folk are so ingrained in their hatred they want to debate whether the crowd noise was real or not.

Thoroughly enjoyed most of the show to be honest. Not watched RAW in ages so was a bit confused during mens MITB when the guys attacked Drew but quickly figured out what was going on. Thought that was a fantastic match though. Skipped Rhea/Charlotte, I know people will probably rabbit on that it was great but I just had zero interest to be honest. 

The ending was perfect. Set up Edge/Rollins programme for SummerSlam then gave us some hype for the first match that feels big time in a long time.

As I said, not watched Raw in ages but they’ve probably bagged me for the first hour tonight which is more than can be said for any other show they’ve put on recently.

The Cena part and the main event in general felt fairly genuine to me in terms of crowd noise - but not the rest of the show. There were so many parts when there were fairly artificial-sounding cheers for something that wasn't that great, and then deathly silence. And it would never match with the crowd shots either. It's not about hating the product, as a life-long viewer it just seemed obvious, and it really took me out of the whole thing. In addition (no spoilers), the opening segment of Raw that was just on was the same - it didn't feel real at all, really off.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, FUM said:

Mad that we get one of the best crowd reactions in years and the first proper good moment in WWE in years yet folk are so ingrained in their hatred they want to debate whether the crowd noise was real or not.

I think it's fair comment though - the highlights that WWE put up shortly after definitely have the canned cheers ON TOP OF the biggest pop in the last twenty years. It's pointless but they do it anyway. That's where I will always criticize them, even when they have gold they turn it to jobby by over producing.

The fan videos from the arena give me goosebumps because they went mental for Cena. Easily the greatest ever. But that's another debate. 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

The pop for Cena might have been the biggest in 20 years. How has ever gotten a reaction that loud? Austin in 2001? Hogan in 2002? Fucking mental.

The reaction Cena got in the 2008 Royal Rumble has to be up there.

14 hours ago, FUM said:

I’m probably going to sound like a dick here - but when WWE has quite clearly been clearly pumping in fake crowd noise, of course debates like that are going to happen. That conversation is entirely of WWE’s own making. I’m not saying tribalism doesn’t exist, but I think it’s worth saving the ‘fans are awful’ chat for when it’s deserved.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

The reaction Cena got in the 2008 Royal Rumble has to be up there.

There have been some good Rumble ones. Edge last year and AJ Styles debut are up there. Kevin Nash dined out on his in 2011 all that year. Obviously been plenty of returns too, Lesnar's was incredible, Rock's too, Rollins and then Ambrose returning from injury a few years ago, Goldberg coming back that first, well second, time.

I heard someone, might have been Kyle Ross, say recently that WWE is great at moments. That's so true. Even this week. Edge coming out on Friday, doctored as it may have been, felt incredible in the moment. Cena on Sunday too. They don't follow up but they do great moments. There's plenty of stuff I'll go back and watch in isolation from the last 10 years but not many stories I'll go back and check out and very few promos too. Goldberg's comeback promo in 2016, I think, and Becky's after the Rumble a couple of years ago are probably the only promos in 7-8 years that I'll ever have a desire to rewatch.

Speaking of Rumble entrances, Jericho's from 2013 was a good one. Simply because no fucker had any idea that he was going to be there.

Jericho said that they had him hidden on a bus for 2 hours until the Rumble match started.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I heard someone, might have been Kyle Ross, say recently that WWE is great at moments.

I think in part that's due to social media and the need for instant gratification isn't it? They've lost sight of what wrestling is and now, rightly or wrongly, treat it purely as a business and are less invested in what they produce. So long as they are producing something that generates money and can claim these small wins when something goes viral they're not interested. We're partially to blame as fans right enough.

• Paid Members

The best thing to come out of this PPV is Jericho sulking that Michael Cole said Edge was the creator of MITB instead of Jericho. I presume Cole mis-spoke and meant Edge was the first one to cash in and make the gimmick what it is.

Shane Helms made me laugh with this tweet, though after Jericho said it was himself and Brian Gewirtz who created the concept and Vince added the briefcase.