The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Intrigued to find out where Owen Coyle disappeared to, he's managed a few Indian teams.

You've answered your own question, he manages Jamshedpur.

59 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Been doing really well for your reserves as well? Seems odd. Has he been given a chance for the first team at all? Can't be any worse than Bergwijn.

He came on as a sub in a Conference League game, that's it.

Seems utterly barmy to me, he's gone for the same amount as 2 weeks wages for N'Dombele.

Our squad is in a right state at the moment, the only way we are going to be able to rebuild is to sell one/both of Kane and Son, which Conte and Spurs fans are not going to accept. It's not like we haven't spent a lot of money but we have wasted a LOT of money on players the last few years, £30million for Sissoko, £42m for Lo Celso, over £50m for NDombele, £25m for Sessegnon, goodness knows what Gil cost I heard it's cash + Lamela so that will be cash + £10m-£12m, £25m for Royal, £42m for Sanchez, £50m for Romero. At least on the bright side I think Sess, Gil, Royal and Sanchez can be improved with a good coach. Romero looks pretty decent. Lo Celso is probably the most frustrating player we have, how can he get multiple MoM for Argentina, but play so poorly for us. Anyway rant over 

• Paid Members

I completely forgot you signed Gil until I saw him trending the other day. He cost £22m plus Lamela apparently, and given how Levy loves to get a good price for a player I can only assume then technically Gil cost you around £100m gross.

5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Been doing really well for your reserves as well? Seems odd. Has he been given a chance for the first team at all? Can't be any worse than Bergwijn.

I mean, the club have fucked up. I can't believe I'm saying this, but our academy/loan system hasn't been effective since bloody Tim Sherwood left. Really disappointed at this one. 

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I completely forgot you signed Gil until I saw him trending the other day. He cost £22m plus Lamela apparently, and given how Levy loves to get a good price for a player I can only assume then technically Gil cost you around £100m gross.

spacer.png

• Paid Members

My hearts recovered. The better team won.

Usually I have a wry smile when commentators talk about “rescuing a point” when the game ends up having enough time for a team to sneak a winner, but when Bergwijn slotted in at 94:50 of announced 95, even I turned to Mrs raid and said “10 seconds left, they’ve snuck a draw.” I know grabbing one from kick off has happened a few times in Premier League history (RvP did it to us in a derby) but I never expect my lot to do it, and with 96 on the clock, it’s the most surreal feeling.

Like I said, the better team won. At 1-0 I felt hard done by, and at 2-1 for as good as they’d played for 75 minutes I was apoplectic that we might get no points after playing so well. Was getting ready to put Leicester on “the list” with memory of Son’s offside toenail still fresh in my mind. Winks is much-maligned but the passing and moving the ball of the middle of the pitch last night was superb and having Winks and Skipp in the same team is probably not coincidental.

Conte has done a remarkable job. Nine unbeaten in the league since he came in and while they still ship too many goals there’s a real strength of character and not knowing when they’re beaten, much as Pochettino instilled in 16-17. If the midfield fluency can stay like that once Son’s back, could be an exciting run-in.

I love this man.

spacer.png

That was the sort of game where I wish I still had the energy for a January Wednesday schlep up to Leicester.

Of course I called them all cunts after 75 minutes, but that's by the by.

How did Leicester lose a game where they were 2-1 up with 12 seconds of injury time left? Pretty Spursy that eh?

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’ve said since before he became Liverpool manager that Brendan Rodgers is a future Spurs manager and he’s done nothing but prove his credentials ever since (apart from wining trophies).

On the contrary, winning trophies somewhere else is expected of managers for Spurs. Players too, especially once they leave.

• Paid Members

Who's getting that Watford job then? 

Also u spotted this news item earlier. This'll certainly make for an interesting quarter final tonight. Comoros are having to play Cameroon in the African Cup Of Nations without any goalkeepers in the squad due to a Covid outbreak. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/60104273