The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

10 hours ago, theironshake said:

I welcome Steve Gerrard to B6 and hope he's a total success.

I think Gerrard being a success will hinge on him being able to bring in his backroom staff. Particularly Michael Beale.

It would be a royal kick in the stones if Villa went to the trouble of paying Rangers the compensation and giving Gerrard his big contract only for Beale to fuck off to Cardiff. As Stevie G himself said:

"It would take me 15-20 years to become as good as Michael Beale as an on-pitch coach, delivering sessions on a daily basis, so I let Mick be Mick because heā€™s the expert."

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

It looks like Lampard is out of the running for the Norwich City job and Dean Smith is the new favourite. It would be s good appointment for them. Could Lampard be eyeing up the Rangers job?

Theyā€™re the most Tory club outside of Chelsea so heā€™d be a good fit. He will be eyeing the double, if he does well there could Lazio come calling?

15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Theyā€™re the most Tory club outside of Chelsea so heā€™d be a good fit. He will be eyeing the double, if he does well there could Lazio come calling?

Surely heā€™d have his eye on the England job.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I always feel sorry for San Marino. Playing their hearts out, but they're basically a pub team with a few ringers.

ADDED: Probably something "Sensible World of Soccer" related.

I consider myself a bit of a fan of San Marino and have followed them for years after enjoying a trip there with Wales in 2007. But fuck me, they're going backwards if anything.

I think their population is just so small that there's nothing you can do really. Whereas at least with a Baltic country or even Luxembourg, you might be able to string together a team of 11 professional players at least.

With San Marino you're limited to a star player coming through the ranks at a Serie B team but otherwise a squad made of up from the national amateur league.

Edited by garynysmon

I Believe In MiraclesĀ has just been added to Netflix if anyone has never seen it.

Its about the European Cup winning Nottingham Forest sides and is superb, as is the book of the same name.

Also added is ID2: Shadwell Army which is worth a watch if you ever wanted to see Eastenders Billy Mitchell say the phrase "we think catenaccio is a frothy coffee"

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I consider myself a bit of a fan of San Marino and have followed them for years after enjoying a trip there with Wales in 2007. But fuck me, they're going backwards if anything.

Aye, check out the 2021 results section..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino_national_football_team

Biggest win: 1-0 vs Liechtenstein in 2004.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I think their population is just so small that there's nothing you can do really. Whereas at least with a Baltic country or even Luxembourg, you might be able to string together a team of 11 professional players at least.

With San Marino you're limited to a star player coming through the ranks at a Serie B team but otherwise a squad made of up from the national amateur league.

I always wondered what the obstacle was to a lot of these smaller states to just doing what Japan did, and bolstering their numbers by giving citizenship to Brazilian hired guns (or, in San Marino's case, Italian ones) who were decent but not good enough to make the first team. I'd hazard a guess that FIFA have a rule about them being resident in the country in question for at least three years or something.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I always wondered what the obstacle was to a lot of these smaller states to just doing what Japan did, and bolstering their numbers by giving citizenship to Brazilian hired guns (or, in San Marino's case, Italian ones) who were decent but not good enough to make the first team. I'd hazard a guess that FIFA have a rule about them being resident in the country in question for at least three years or something.

My friend asked this. I think the simple answer is basically- who the fuck is going to ply their trade in San Marino's football system (or other similarly small nations) in order to play for their national team?? At least Japan's football league has value to it, being one of the strongest football leagues in Asia. Plus Japan is a massive country in terms of population anyway and an attractive place to live, so it's always likely to attract overseas players in their league.

San Marino has just over a third of the population that my town has. They couldn't even fill most Premier League stadiums with their entire population.