The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 4/20/2022 at 9:55 PM, SuperBacon said:

There is Liverpool and Man City, then 18 dreadful, awful teams. They're all as bad as each other.

Alan Smith commented "Who could see this one coming?" All of us Alan. 

Only because there's a ridiculous conspiracy by the FA FORCING Chelsea to play at Stamford Bridge. Ridiculous.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:44 PM, PunkStep said:

Saka scoring a penalty as the Chelsea knuckle draggers chant 'you let your country down'. Beautiful.

I didn't watch the game, but considering the penalty had no bearing on the result I am absolutely thrilled that that happened. Those idiots deserve their humbling.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Duke said:

I didn't watch the game, but considering the penalty had no bearing on the result I am absolutely thrilled that that happened. Those idiots deserve their humbling

Ffs Duke stop being such a nice Chelsea fan!

• Paid Members
On 4/20/2022 at 10:30 PM, PunkStep said:

Just like I can see this truly piss poor United side turn us over this weekend. Whenever United are there for the taking, they pull out a win against us. Death and taxes.

Told you all.

• Paid Members

I can’t imagine anything much more Spursy than going on a free-scoring run of wins to get installed as favourites for 4th, then immediately gain one point from six against Brighton and Brentford, pulling two blanks, as Arsenal take six from corresponding fixtures against Chelsea and Man United. Depressing in its predictability.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, air_raid said:

much more Spursy

I'd say losing three on the bounce to Palace, Brighton and Southampton then beating Chelsea and United is even more Spursy than Spurs. It's almost as if it was done for a TV documentary...

This season has been spectacularly brutal by Blackburn Rovers to their fans. Start shit. Then set a new home record by losing 7-0 to Fulham at home. Even hardcore fans have had enough and start not turning up. So Rovers go on a mental unbeaten winning streak and are up to to 2nd after New Year. Looking like they might get back to the Premiership!

But then fuck you fans they follow that with one 1 win in 20 games. With about ten of them being last minute losses or draws. After that glimmer of hope we are now 6 points of the playoffs.  I fucking hate my own team for giving me a slight moment of hope for once in the past decade.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

What's the "cliff notes" version of what the f@ck has happened to Oldham? Founding members of the Premier League, now it appears they are in the Conference next season.

To be fair, that’s 30 years of a small clubs life. The 30 years prior to promotion to the top flight had been spent about half between the fourth and third tiers and half in the second, their time at the top was very much exceptional for them.

In terms of their decline ; two relegations, financial difficulties leading to threats of liquidation, sponsorship deals collapsing over Ched Evans, manager merry go rounds, another relegation, more money woes, another relegation.

5 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

What's the "cliff notes" version of what the f@ck has happened to Oldham? Founding members of the Premier League, now it appears they are in the Conference next season.

I have family in Oldham so was a bit sad to see it but it came as no surprise. They promoted to the 1st Division in 91, at a time when small clubs could still sometimes do it and their fans knew it wasn't happening again. However not many top flight clubs must have relegated to non leagues, but its only 3 years ago Notts County did it (in division 1 until 92). Not sure what other teams have done it, I think Carlisle may have been in Division 1 in the 70s.

Luton Town as well. They were founding members of the Premier League, but of course never played in it.

Edit: In fact, I've just read that if Luton get promoted this year, they'd be the first team to go from top division to non league and back to top division again. 

Edited by SuperBacon

Of course Luton, to be honest I thought Blackpool were headed that way at one point but they seemed to have redeemed themselves. 

Edit: saw Grimsby were top flight in the 30s. Probably a few top flight teams pre second World War who have since had rough times. Also there probably would have been more teams but automatic relegation from division 4 to Conference wasn't introduced until the late 80s and teams could be re-elected even if they came bottom of the league. 

Edited by westlondonmist