The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I can't speak for United, as I truly detest seeing that prick play, but Spurs and Arsenal have at times been great this season.

Obviously I've seen Spurs more than Arsenal, but there have been times this year when we have been sensational.

United have been pretty poor from what I've seen, even when they've had good results. That prick (whom I also detest watching) has dragged the odd result from nothing for them. Elanga has been a fairly bright spot for them.  And to be honest, although we've had some very good performances throughout the season, we've still not really blown anyone away. Our goal difference speaks volumes. Bloody poor was an exaggeration, and wildly inconsistent is the best description, but neither United nor Arsenal are close to the level of top 4 sides we've seen in recent years.

Spurs have improved drastically over the past month or so, it's taken a bit of time for Conte but he finally has them ticking. They were absolutely turgid to watch under NES. I'd say they've gone from being poor to inconsistent to mostly very good at the moment.

West Ham punching slightly above their weight overall still (which is a credit to the job Moyes has done) when you look at the squad Leicester have in comparison and the amount of money Villa and Everton have spent in recent years. 

FA Cup final spoiler

Spoiler

Liverpool are going to attack all game with overlapping fullbacks putting in good crosses for Mendy to collect and Chelsea will soak it up and try to break but get about 100 offsides. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I can't speak for United, as I truly detest seeing that prick play, but Spurs and Arsenal have at times been great this season.

Well I can say that United have been absolutely rank awful for the entire season, so it really doesn't say a lot for Spurs and Arsenal if you think they've been great at times and are still only neck and neck with United.

I'm genuinely amazed we are in a position where we could still finish in the top four with how shit we've been. It can only be the case that the standard of the league outside of the top two has been absolutely crap. 

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Well I can say that United have been absolutely rank awful for the entire season, so it really doesn't say a lot for Spurs and Arsenal if you think they've been great at times and are still only neck and neck with United.

I'm genuinely amazed we are in a position where we could still finish in the top four with how shit we've been. It can only be the case that the standard of the league outside of the top two has been absolutely crap. 

The second bolder bit answers the first bolded bit :)

• Awards Moderator
19 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

FA Cup final spoiler

Hide contents

Liverpool are going to attack all game with overlapping fullbacks putting in good crosses for Mendy to collect and Chelsea will soak it up and try to break but get about 100 offsides. 

If Chelsea are offside 100 times and their fans are all mute, did it really happen?

• Paid Members
On 4/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, PunkStep said:

Chelsea's top scorer in the league is midfielder Mason Mount with 10 goals, City's top scorer is midfielder Kevin De Bruyne with 11 goals. Also it's not as though Chelsea don't have two prolific strikers in their squad, but for whatever reason Tuchel can't get them to score like they did for their previous clubs. 

I mean, yeah, but City are set up in such a way to not require a number 9 after years of Pep's work. Chelsea aren't.  That City's top scorer is higher than Chelsea's kind of proves my point. You're right though that that's their own fault, Chelsea's run of ruining strikers continues.  In retrospect, maybe Didier Drogba is the best striker in the history of football, because he was still pretty good despite being under the Chelsea striker curse.

I think the quality City and Liverpool have is more superior to Chelsea everywhere on the pitch and the difference between them is not limited to Chelsea not having a prolific goalscorer.

This, I think, is where Cleetus' point comes in. Chelsea are absolutely knackered. They've played more games than everyone else and didn't get the rub of the COVID rules despite having a fairly significant outbreak (I think it 7 cases the day of the Wolves game). Until December Chelsea were top of the league and fairly comfortable, but December hit very, very hard and I don't think the club has fully recovered from that, so the team isn't playing to form. I think Chelsea have been well below their ability this season, so 2 cup finals isn't bad considering that.

I think this says more about how big the gulf is between Chelsea and the 4th place chasing pack to be honest. United, Spurs and Arsenal are bloody poor and wildly inconsistent.

Sorry, yeah, that was my point, I didn't explain that well. There had been some chat about the difference between Chelsea and Liverpool/City in the league being huge and the gap with  the chasers being small, and it's just not the case.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It has irked me for many years that all the Chelsea fans on this board are all nice, reasonable chaps. Makes my Chelsea hatred very confusing.

I feel the same way about the Arsenal fans. All the ones I know in real life have terrible opinions on football, but the ones here are thoroughly pleasant

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Duke said:

I feel the same way about the Arsenal fans. All the ones I know in real life have terrible opinions on football, but the ones here are thoroughly pleasant

The ones on here make up for it by having terrible opinions on films and celebrity chefs.

On 4/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, Teedy Kay said:

I don't think there's much of a gulf between the chasing group and Chelsea. City and Liverpool however that gulf is monstrous.

City you would expect to be leading the charge since they effectively have the backing of the Abu Dhabi Emirate. The job Klopp has done at Liverpool, considering the funding he's had, which is still sizeable of course, but not a patch on what Guardiola has at City, is pretty noteworthy.