People who were champions but were not champions

theringmaster

Got this idea after seeing pics of Lex Luger with the WWF Title at a house show in another thread.

The story goes Vince wanted to see how the crowd would react to him with the belt so they sent him out with it. So technically Luger was WWF Champion that one night although it will never be recognized.

Got me thinking about other odd stories like this.

Antonio Inoki beat Bob Buckland for the WWF Title in Japan and defended it several times, never lost it but when the tour ended it was just reverted back to Bob and never reported or recognized. 

Carlos Colon beat Ric Flair for the NWA Title in Puerto Rico, again never reported or recognized.

Evan Bourne was slated to win the ECW Title so they filmed promos and did photoshoots but then plan were changed, they did later leak online.

Another one is Christopher Daniels was one of the Los Conquistadores, he actually walked around with the Tag team Championship so kinda was Tag Champ.

Obviously the most famous one was the Rockers winning the Titles but the rope broke and since Vince didn't like the look of it he declared the match void and it never aired.

Of course there are loads of Kayfabe 'ref reverse the decision' but this is more 'it actually happened' .

Anybody think of any other curious title wins?

8 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Did Bulldog win the WCW title from Vader over here on a house show before dropping it back a few days later so never recognised on TV?

It was done the same night, he got the belt celebrated with it and then a second referee came out and the match got restarted

At the first UK Raw, William Regal & Eugene beat La Resistance for the tag titles, but Bischoff came out in the commercial break and discounted it and said the match had to restart, which La Resistance won.   The crowd went loopy when Regal & Eugene won.   I can't remember why Bischoff re-started the match.

Regal & Eugene won the titles a month later anyway though.

If memory serves, they didn’t just send Lugar out with the belt. The segment in question is from an episode of Superstars in 1994. Cornette is doing a segment with Vince, think it was on Superstars, and he has the belt with him. Lugar comes out, takes the belt from Cornette saying “why don’t we see how it looks on me”. Lugar goes down to the ring, music and all as the ring announcer announces him as WWF Champion, and he does a couple of laps of the ring before leaving.

Obviously this was back when they still taped a lot of stuff in advance and they obviously had plans to put the belt on him, they would’ve just edited out the Cornette part of the segment. But they didn’t just send him out there with belt to test the reaction, it was a filmed segment with intention to be used. Unfortunately for Lex, the crowd were more or less silent, the Lex Express was beyond burnt out at this point

Edited by WyattSheepMask

2 minutes ago, The Dart said:

At the first UK Raw, William Regal & Eugene beat La Resistance for the tag titles, but Bischoff came out in the commercial break and discounted it and said the match had to restart, which La Resistance won.   The crowd went loopy when Regal & Eugene won.   I can't remember why Bischoff re-started the match.

Regal & Eugene won the titles a month later anyway though.

This one always baffles me, why reverse it? They won it mere weeks later. 

Regal actually talks about this match in his book and calls it one of the greatest of his life, he even had a picture of him with the belts in the ring on the inside cover. This is a booking decision that should have stuck.

If i remember correctly didn't he win the IC a few years later in the UK? With 'Layla London' as his manager?

• Paid Members

On the "won & lost on a UK tour" track - Men on a Mission won the tag belts from the Quebecers on the Summer 94 tour in London, then dropped it back 2 days later in Sheffield.

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me they had 1 successful defence (quite possibly a DQ finish) on the day in the middle, in Peterborough - I went to that show and I'm sure I recall MoM coming out with the belts and thinking "WTF is going on here?" 

I remember reading that them picking up the belts was a fuck up (Jacques or Pierre got pinned accidentally by Mabel cos they couldn't shift him to get the shoulder up and the ref counted three) but I think maybe the title changes were acknowledged on TV in an events centre type deal, so it became an official reign? Wikipedia certainly lists it.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I think Sting won and then lost the title on a UK tour though, right? 

The Real Event in March '93. He won the title from Vader on the first night, defended it for the rest of the tour while Vader feuded with Cactus Jack (who I had an irrational dislike of at the time so I cheered for Vader), then Sting dropped it back on the final night so the status quo could be restored once they returned to the states. 

• Paid Members

This is a great little thread!

Although it wasn't a title change, but something along the same lines, I was at a show I attended at the Sheffield Arena back in the 90's. I don't remember much about it(the date, card etc), but I do remember that it must have been recorded for a VHS release as they had commentators there(remember Heenan being booed out of the building when introduced before the matches). The big thing that stood out though, was Jim Duggan nocking Yokozuna off his feet with his American Football tackle, right in the middle of the gimmick they were doing where nobody could take Yoko off his feet.

I remember going to school after and telling everyone about it, but then got called a lier as they were still claiming he's never been taken off his feet on all the TV shows.

• Paid Members

This was the UK Rampage 93 tour, wasn't it? Was it Dugan Vs Luger in the main event with Yoko at ringside? They were a week removed from Mania 9, Heenan interviewed them. I think it was JR & Hennan on commentary, with Lord Alfred Hayes doing some backstage interviews. It was a glorified house show in terms of its booking. One of the matches was Knobbs Vs Samu.i think they also had Backlund Vs Damien Demento, and neither of them had entrance music. 

28 minutes ago, MEGABUCKS said:

I remember at one of the house shows in the UK sometime in 2004, Shelton Benjamin beat Randy Orton for the IC title. I think they then either restarted the match or the decision was reversed

I remember that. me and my mate couldn't believe there was a title change at a house show and then out came Eric Bischoff and turned it into a 2 out of 3 falls match which randy won and kept the title 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I remember going to school after and telling everyone about it, but then got called a lier as they were still claiming he's never been taken off his feet on all the TV shows.

House shows must have been hell for this sort of grief. I remember someone telling a story about their mate going to America and seeing the Ultimate Warrior vs Undertaker in a body bag match, which prompted a right big chinny reckon. It wasn't until years later that they found out they'd being doing them on the house show circuit and this guy had been telling the truth. 

I remember going to a house show at Wembley once and it was about a week after Big Show had beat Sheamus for the world title and the main event was Big Show vs. Sheamus for the title, and Sheamus won......but the referee reversed the decision, or the match was re-started and Big Show won, or Big Show got DQed, can't remember for sure.   Then walking back to the train station I overheard this excited kid who was so happy Sheamus had won the title back so quickly and his dad was confessing that he had been wrong about nothing ever happening on the UK shows.  They must have left as soon as that 3 count happened where Sheamus "won" and missed the rest.

Edited by The Dart