People who were champions but were not champions

theringmaster

I mean, "The" Brian Kendrick's stint (if you can call it that) as interim WWE Champion during the Scramble match at Unforgiven in 2008 is shared regularly, but it has to stand as a career highlight for the guy. If nothing else, it does leave me wondering what they might have done with him had he not self-destructed during his push. 

tmwq2ss5ot011.jpg

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Was his reign longer than Yokozuna's at Mania 9?

No, because his reign wasn’t a reign. The “interim” cobblers was never part of the lineage, only champion when the match started and when it finished.

The best of the phantom title reign stories is that of The Rockers, which has been recounted so many times I won’t bore you all with it again.

• Paid Members

They should have gone by hardcore battle royal rules and sullied the history of the WWE championship with all kinds of seconds long reigns.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, air_raid said:

No, because his reign wasn’t a reign. The “interim” cobblers was never part of the lineage, only champion when the match started and when it finished.

They still +1'd Triple H's total number of reigns though, despite him walking in & out as champ and the reigns in the middle not counting, IIRC.

51 minutes ago, Statto said:

They still +1'd Triple H's total number of reigns though, despite him walking in & out as champ and the reigns in the middle not counting, IIRC.

Don't think that's true, although I think Jim Ross maybe said that on commentary, it's never been listed as that way by WWE.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Statto said:

36 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Don't think that's true, although I think Jim Ross maybe said that on commentary, it's never been listed as that way by WWE.

No, it’s not.

https://www.wwe.com/titlehistory/wwe-championship

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, The Dart said:

It was JR saying it on commentary that I recalled, yeah.

20 minutes ago, Statto said:

It was JR saying it on commentary that I recalled, yeah.

He definitely said something like that on commentary, I remember the dirt sheets clarifying his mistake at the time. To be fair on JR, it wasn't explained particularly well going into the match. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Antonio Inoki beat Bob Buckland for the WWF Title in Japan and defended it several times, never lost it but when the tour ended it was just reverted back to Bob and never reported or recognized. 

Not quite.

Backlund DID win the title back but Inoki pulled some classic fuckery. Hisashi Shinma was both New Japan's booker and the WWF's on-screen President and he reversed Backlund's win - because Tiger Jeet Singh interfered - and gave the title back to Inoki. Inoki was obviously too heroic to accept a title in such tainted circumstances so vacated it. Backlund then beat Bobby Duncum for the vacant title, which looked just like a title defense.

I'm surprised Ted Dibiase hasn't been mentioned. It has to be the most famous one surely? He had the title for a week or so and was working House Shows as Champion, including at Madison Square Garden.

• Paid Members

One particular title that stands out to me is the WWF Light Heavyweight championship. The WWF started it in 1981 in conjunction with the UWA, and guys like Liger, Sasuke, and Ultimo Dragon held it, but the champion lineage is now only recognised as having started from when TAKA held it in the late 90s, when it was first put on official WWF programming. So even though it's a WWF title that they themselves set up, there's now a whole host of phantom champions.

7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

One particular title that stands out to me is the WWF Light Heavyweight championship. The WWF started it in 1981 in conjunction with the UWA, and guys like Liger, Sasuke, and Ultimo Dragon held it, but the champion lineage is now only recognised as having started from when TAKA held it in the late 90s, when it was first put on official WWF programming. So even though it's a WWF title that they themselves set up, there's now a whole host of phantom champions.

The WWF Light Heavyweight belt is one the belts that was part of the J-Crown which WCW pushed and made an appearance on Nitro which looking back is mad. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

The WWF Light Heavyweight belt is one the belts that was part of the J-Crown which WCW pushed and made an appearance on Nitro which looking back is mad. 

That is mad. And is probably a good explanation as to why Vince "de-recognised" the lineage leading up to TAKA, I guess.