UK PPVs.

The Gaffer

• Paid Members

Heat on Channel 4 always felt more like a Raw & Smackdown recap show, but with a couple of mediocre squash matches thrown in. 

It wasn't as bad as those shows where Scott Stanford or Wilson Phillips stands in front of a monitor and talks us through the previous week's TV while shilling the upcoming PPV. 

10 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Silly question: but the version of Heat we got in the UK was different to the US version? I never really watched Heat when it was on (WCW fan, innit) so assumed it was just the show that would be shown Stateside as well.

Yeah we had 1-2 exclusive matches with different commentary teams each week. It really was lower-mid card matches with Kaentai, Chaz etc, like nothing worth getting excited for in anyway.

I think it was extremely short lived as well because Channel 4 were unhappy with how adult the show was and moved it to late night, I think WWE stopped the exclusive matches then

• Paid Members

Channel 4 were hamstrung from the off with their WWE deal. That 2000 Rumble with the street fight got loads of complaints from viewers, so they stuck them on an hour's tape delay with commercial breaks from backlash moving forward, which also got complaints from people. Probably why the deal was only for 2 years. Well, that and Sky probably brought a load of money to the negotiating table. It was around the time they started putting PPVs on pay per view over here. 

I went to loads of these events but remember very little. Luckily I took loads of photos. Unluckily, practically all of them turned out as big dark blurs. Here's a few where I can actually identify something.

1. A Bronco Buster at a Rebellion

spacer.png

2. Triple H and Chyna at ringside at Capital Carnage.

spacer.png

3. A gang of Regals at Capital Carnage.

spacer.png

4. A cage at a Rebellion.

spacer.png

5. Our Attitude Era banter banner...

spacer.png

Edited by King Coconut

54 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Wilson Phillips

Hold on...

One Night Only was fantastic.

I went with Zackie and Popsie from next door and their Uncle Steve. We then visited their family in Coventry for several hours and I ate so many pakoras I was a bit sick. 

Then when we got there, I was "interviewed" by Sky Sports but said that Shawn Michaels would lose because, and I quote, he was "gay". No idea why they didn't run it.

I then got to buy two figures (Bret and Goldust), run to the barricade during Vaders entrance to shout he was a fat bastard (I was a horrible little shit) then poo my pants when he turned towards us, and finally fill the ring with rubbish as we all melted down during the main event.

What an event.

• Paid Members

One Night Only was indeed the best, and the only one that had any real consequences that played into the weekly storyline. Could have been an even bigger deal too, Bulldog being persuaded to drop the belt to Shawn on the grounds of building to a rematch at Mayhem In Manchester, which he’d win, as a Wigan lad as close to “in his hometown” as possible. Sky probably thought that sounded great. Didn’t work out for obvious reasons.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Heat on Channel 4 always felt more like a Raw & Smackdown recap show, but with a couple of mediocre squash matches thrown in. 

It wasn't as bad as those shows where Scott Stanford or Wilson Phillips stands in front of a monitor and talks us through the previous week's TV while shilling the upcoming PPV. 

Hey now, show some respect for Afterburn and The Bottom Line! For those of us who had the basic Sky package without Sports, those shows were the only bits of Raw we ever saw.

I always enjoyed Heat on Channel 4 as well, a lot of Kaientai, Lo Down and The Hollys but occasionally Edge & Christian or the Brothers of Destruction would show up too. Then again, this is coming from someone who always tried to make time for Metal on a Sunday morning.

I remember my excitement when they announced Insurrextion 2003 would be happening at the Newcastle Arena. My one chance to see a WWE show - they wouldn't be back to Newcastle for years afterwards! I couldn't get tickets of course. But it all worked out because 2004 they started up the house show tours in the UK and it was less than a year later I saw my first WWE show.

4 hours ago, theringmaster said:

All UK shows in the 90's were actually promoted by a concert promoter in the UK and not wwe, so wwe were essentially a 'bought in act'.

That's true Harvey Goldsmith featured on a couple of the tickets that I had purchased in the late 90s.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

One Night Only was indeed the best, and the only one that had any real consequences that played into the weekly storyline. Could have been an even bigger deal too, Bulldog being persuaded to drop the belt to Shawn on the grounds of building to a rematch at Mayhem In Manchester, which he’d win, as a Wigan lad as close to “in his hometown” as possible. Sky probably thought that sounded great. Didn’t work out for obvious reasons.

Still not convinced that Shawn Michaels would have dropped the belt to him tbh.

The gallery on WWE's site is pretty neat, actually. It's interesting seeing some of these photos since they're in far, far better quality than any clips you can watch back. In some ways it's almost a bizarre preview of what 98 would have looked like in HD. This has most of the UK shows on it. Might spot yourselves:

https://www.wwe.com/classics/uk-exclusive-pay-per-views-photos#fid-26108972

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The gallery on WWE's site is pretty neat, actually. It's interesting seeing some of these photos since they're in far, far better quality than any clips you can watch back. In some ways it's almost a bizarre preview of what 98 would have looked like in HD. This has most of the UK shows on it. Might spot yourselves:

https://www.wwe.com/classics/uk-exclusive-pay-per-views-photos#fid-26108972

Photo #4: https://www.wwe.com/classics/uk-exclusive-pay-per-views-photos#fid-26143242

“Rugby and action movie star Vinnie Jones”.