UK PPVs.

The Gaffer

• Paid Members

I went to that same tour @Kaz Hayashi but at the NEC in Birmingham. It was the exact same card but a slightly different match order to the above. Kid vs Model was the opener and Bomb vs Virgil was later before intermission because I remember going either to the toilet or I was in the queue for an ice cream and I completely missed old Virgil getting squashed. We could hear the entrance music so started making our way back to our seats, by the time we got there Virgil was already rolling out under the bottom rope a beaten man. 

• 1 year later...

I watched One Night Only again last night and three things jumped out:

- Owen starts working as a white meat babyface in his match and it's an absolute joy. 

- 'Taker has a proper heel turn. When he starts wailing on Bret whilst Bret's hanging in the ropes - and later when he starts bullying the refs - the crowd are pelting him with boos. It's not at all "These rumours over his brother Kane have pushed him to the brink!" babyface in peril stuff he was getting stateside. 

- Shawn's entrance is peak coked up 1997 Michaels. He's all over the place. In his pre match interview he's sweating like a .gif of someone going mental to gabber music. When he comes out he starts planting kisses on girls in the front row, grabs a Bulldog figure from someone and drops it down his pants, and appears to be having a proper argument with Vince during Bulldog's entrance. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

- Owen starts working as a white meat babyface in his match

- 'Taker has a proper heel turn.

These are both connected to the idea that all the Harts could be presented as the heroes outside the States, and thus  when push came to shove they could present the opposition as baddies. Although the cheers Stone Cold got in Montreal suggested it wasn’t completely successful.

Regarding One Night Only, it’s a shame the Harts as heroes were presented as morons, Bret and Owen sat in the back presumably watching on the monitor and only coming out after Davey had been triple teamed out of his belt by their worst enemies. One of my most hated bits of booking ever.

• Paid Members
On 4/24/2022 at 8:16 AM, Gay as FOOK said:

- Shawn's entrance is peak coked up 1997 Michaels. He's all over the place. In his pre match interview he's sweating like a .gif of someone going mental to gabber music. When he comes out he starts planting kisses on girls in the front row, grabs a Bulldog figure from someone and drops it down his pants, and appears to be having a proper argument with Vince during Bulldog's entrance. 

To this day I'm convinced that Shawn's hand was somewhere it probably shouldn't be during his interview by Sunny on the preshow.

Can you imagine that airing on modern day perfect and over produced WWE tv?

The Bret/UT match is an interesting one as I suspect the WWF expected Bret to be the overwhelming babyface, but there was definitely a mixture of cheers and boos when he come on the video screen beforehand. It took a while for the crowd to fully come on board with Bret.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The Bret/UT match is an interesting one as I suspect the WWF expected Bret to be the overwhelming babyface, but there was definitely a mixture of cheers and boos when he come on the video screen beforehand. It took a while for the crowd to fully come on board with Bret.

Bret "All they get is American TV."

(bloke behind me) "Yeah cos we've got SKY!!"

I think that is the case as when One Night Only was first put on the Network it was the USA version with a couple of matches missing.   Eventually they replaced it with the full version.

The VHS I had was certainly complete, even had the Free For All on it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Didn't bret v Taker get cut from the original VHS release, or am. I imagining that? 

Edit: it's not listed at least

Bizarre (n. Smithers), Also has Flash Funk vs Patriot and Tiger Ali Singh vs Leif Cassidy missing so they could cut it down to 2 hours. Presumably so they could sell a cheap version of the tape for the same price as an old In Your House.

It's also possible that they couldn't be bothered giving any more spotlight than absolutely necessary to Bret, who was long gone by the time the tape will have been released.