Butch Reed Passes Away

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

Someone I really need to see more of because I always thought he was just ok, but maybe I've just not seen him really go.

Only know his WWF work which didn't give out many great matches and his stuff with Doom in WCW. I know he was a big name in Mid-South. Any good stuff of his I or anyone else need to check out?

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

Someone I really need to see more of because I always thought he was just ok, but maybe I've just not seen him really go.

Only know his WWF work which didn't give out many great matches and his stuff with Doom in WCW. I know he was a big name in Mid-South. Any good stuff of his I or anyone else need to check out?

A lot of good stuff in Mid South in the early to mid 80s. 85 was probably his peak year with crackers against Flair, Dick Murdoch and Dicky Slater.

He was awesome. Massively underrated because he never shined on the big stage. Best black American wrestler in history for me. RIP Butch. 

• Paid Members

There’s a load of people who probably only know Reed as Macho Mans first opponent at WrestleMania IV and that’s a shame, because even for fans that don’t delve too far into the obscure, Doom had some belters in WCW.

If anyone remembers Nitron, who accompanied them for a bit as Woman’s bodyguard, I was surprised the first time I learned it was Big Sky a/k/a Tyler Mane who was Sabretooth in the first X-Men movie.

Strangely just watched him put Billy Graham out of commission in '87 last night.

RIP Butch - he really should've been a bigger star. Great look, great worker. So many missed opportunities. There's the cool wrestlers thread at the moment, I'd put Butch in there. Loved the blonde hairdo, the cocky swagger and rulebreaking and when he was in the WWF, Slick was a perfect manager.

It's a rare talent that can leave the WWF but then become arguably even bigger when he was in Doom.

Just a shame he was around at a time when black wrestlers were held back and not allowed to advance.

1 hour ago, The Reverend said:

Strangely just watched him put Billy Graham out of commission in '87 last night.

RIP Butch - he really should've been a bigger star. Great look, great worker. So many missed opportunities. There's the cool wrestlers thread at the moment, I'd put Butch in there. Loved the blonde hairdo, the cocky swagger and rulebreaking and when he was in the WWF, Slick was a perfect manager.

It's a rare talent that can leave the WWF but then become arguably even bigger when he was in Doom.

Just a shame he was around at a time when black wrestlers were held back and not allowed to advance.

He didnt do himself any favours either from what I can remember, pretty sure he was supposed to be the one who took the IC title off Steamboat but no showed so it ended up on Honky Tonk. Dont think they bothered doing anything with him after that

I do remember hearing a podcast (one of Kris Zellners) which mentioned he left a territory for a shittier one because he was coked out ofhis mind and he wife basically told him he was gonna work there anymore. 

Edited by Chili