Gardens & Gardening

Tommy!

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Our garden's looking decent. The peonies are spectacular, and the climbing rose that grows through our fir tree in particular look great. 

Also, the herb garden, and especially the rosemary and purple sage, are doing very well - will have to make lots of herby dishes this summer.

IMG20230608114334.jpg

IMG20230608114309.jpg

IMG20230608114353.jpg

IMG20230608114452.jpg

IMG20230608114610.jpg

IMG20230608114704.jpg

IMG20230608114715.jpg

IMG20230608114803.jpg

The council gave us all wheelie bins for our recycling and said do whatever we want this the old recycling tubs, so I filled mine with soil and finally had a chance to grow some veg. I've got carrots growing in one and planted some runner beans the other week in the other.

agbGzUA.jpg

It's going to be a bumper crop this year. Just weeded out some of the tiddlers to make room for the rest to grow into be strong boys and girls.

Arnie Rimmer down there even sampled one (that he stole mid-harvest) and seemed to enjoy it even though he isn't the worlds biggest carrot fan.

@Dead Mike That rose is spectacular.  My two roses are just starting to flower but due to limited space I tend to cut them back a lot so they don’t go mental like that!

Are you all not suffering with this drought?  Here it’s all I can do to keep things alive given we’ve not had a drop of rain for over a month.

As an aside, how do you guys post photos here?  I can’t see an option and I’m too old to work out how to use Imgur again…

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Are you all not suffering with this drought?  Here it’s all I can do to keep things alive given we’ve not had a drop of rain for over a month.

As an aside, how do you guys post photos here?  I can’t see an option and I’m too old to work out how to use Imgur again…

I've just been watering all the plants each evening before bed and they all seem to be doing fine. 

I just drag the pictures into Imgur then copy and paste the address of the jpg.

• Paid Members

There are poppies everywhere at the moment. We've even had one growing out of our front wall, I dunno where it came from. I dunno if it's true, I'm getting older or I've got more observant in the last six months but there just seem to be certain flowers that are everywhere. About 6 weeks ago, I noticed just how many magnolia bushes/trees there are around us while walking. Millions of them, all blooming spectacularly at the same time. Not there are thirty billion poppies around and I don't think there's a garden, wall or path in the region that isn't covered in campanula at the moment. Beautiful.

• Paid Members

Heat was an absolute killer, but I finally painted the side and back fence of our garden last week. Really happy with how it came out but it's left the little bit of decking we have looking terrible in comparison now, so that'll be next on the list. Excuse the grass, it's been watered and looks a bit healthier now. 

20230619_092023.thumb.jpg.66d0e85fb7f750f6a05b543b490cda72.jpg

Obligatory first Rose

20230619_115112.thumb.jpg.7c1d33c3084cbe3421549cc9b9ec4b17.jpg

Kale (mostly eaten by insects), Tomato's and Sweet Corn on the go. 

20230619_115123.thumb.jpg.190014d02cb55f839d6d86abc5ba3332.jpg

20230619_115141.thumb.jpg.64203ae193caa71b06b453708f299d54.jpg

20230619_115155.thumb.jpg.eaed0f91577a524c0938f5f3fd1f89fe.jpg

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
On 6/12/2023 at 4:15 PM, tiger_rick said:

There are poppies everywhere at the moment. We've even had one growing out of our front wall, I dunno where it came from. I dunno if it's true, I'm getting older or I've got more observant in the last six months but there just seem to be certain flowers that are everywhere. About 6 weeks ago, I noticed just how many magnolia bushes/trees there are around us while walking. Millions of them, all blooming spectacularly at the same time. Not there are thirty billion poppies around and I don't think there's a garden, wall or path in the region that isn't covered in campanula at the moment. Beautiful.

It's an age thing I think Rick. I definitely notice more now. The magnolia were magnificent this year, and the hawthorn blossom was sensational. 

Garden wise for me this year is a tale of two halves. Front garden is nicely tidy and trimmed but the back garden is like a bomb site. I just can't get on top of it it seems. Apart from the strawberries everything else seems to be barely growing, apart from the bloody weeds that is!

I’m really struggling with my fruit trees.  One apple got decimated by greenfly, and the heatwave seems to have done for all the plums that were covering the plum tree.

If we’re going to continue to have these sort of summers we’re going to have to adapt what we grow in this country, or in my garden at least.