Gardens & Gardening

Tommy!

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

can those kink free (oo err) hose pipes still be purchased? the name escapes me but i am sure i have seen some. I am really frustrated right now with the garden at home. Due to the weather and the contents of the garden, their is practically nothing that i can do at the moment

The lawns do not need cutting, the borders are weed free, the shrubs cant be cut back and no dead heading at all that can be done. Clutching at straws for things to do in the garden at the moment 

Plenty of work to do in my garden. You free?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 7/3/2022 at 1:49 PM, chokeout said:

IMG_20220703_133349.jpg

One month on from this... 

Averaging about 8foot tall. (the dwarf ones are all about 3 foot) 

IMG_20220803_190547.jpg

*ignore the untidy grass and lack of colour, it's getting a face-lift on the weekend. 

Edited by chokeout

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

20220919_171537.thumb.jpg.c4acfff884b64a043804a9bce8d340d9.jpg

We've had these Gnomes for about 8 years so they were weathered white and grubby as hell. Decided to clean them off and paint them with some cheap acrylic paints from Amazon. Probably gonna need to get some water seal on them but happy with how they turned out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm very slowly putting in new beds and part of this year was some tender perennials (African daisies I think), so my question is how s best to care for them over winter? Are they best potted up in the green house, shed or garage or am I best to leave them in the ground and fleece? 

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Got this Terrarium starter kit for Christmas and the plants just arrived this morning. I have very little knowledge on how this works and what kind of upkeep I'll need to do but I'm looking forward to giving it a go. 

Progress reports will come providing I don't kill the plants off immediately. 

20230103_104318.thumb.jpg.a0d0525067c0c57015241026c2f4df33.jpg

• Paid Members

20230104_113841.thumb.jpg.72182c9a4cb535596caea7f720c35604.jpg

And we're off! Pretty happy with how it turned out as it's fiddly as hell to put together. The fern type plant was already a little big and probably gonna out grow this super quick so I just put it in a standard pot elsewhere. 

These things are meant to be very self sufficient so occasional misting should suffice.  Next report will likely be an RIP type send off. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

With the decent weather over the weekend we finally started sorting big jobs in the garden out that we've been holding off since we moved in, starting with cutting a tree in the back corner down that we didn't like and also our back neighbour didn't as it hung over her fence.
Since we moved in we have had a large, probably 1m high mound of soil/glass/brick/paving slabs piled in the back garden the landlord hasn't bothered to sort out, so with the soil I've dug up for the veg patches and large crab grass roots I've hurled it all at the back, levelled it out and we're planting some Hydrangeas there. Going to use the larger branches from the tree as a border and then fill the rest with wood bark to make it look presentable.

When we first moved in we bought two big compost bins but for some reason even 3 years in it hasn't composted and we just have two bins full of dry dirt, composting powder and general compostables. I saw a bumble bee go in and out of one yesterday so not sure if it's been nested in.
Thankfully we've been piling our grass clippings in a heap next to them too and that finally paid off in dividends as yesterday I turned it all over and it's beautiful layers of rich compost that will fill the hydrangeas and veg out nicely.

In terms of what we're planting we're going for a "best of" approach and planting things that took well over the last couple of years, so radishes, peas, beetroot and possibly courgettes/lettuce in the main patches and then we're getting grow bags for potatoes and tomatoes as we've had no luck with them directly in the ground.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

courgettes

You won't want many, 1 or 2 plants will probably do as they go mad as I found by experience. Couldn't get rid of the fucking things.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

When we first moved in we bought two big compost bins but for some reason even 3 years in it hasn't composted and we just have two bins full of dry dirt

What do you put in and do you occasionally turn it? Also is it somewhere warm and sunny or shaded?

A jug of piss sets it off well too.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
Just now, Tommy! said:

You won't want many, 1 or 2 plants will probably do as they go mad.

What do you put in and do you occasionally turn it? Also is it somewhere warm and sunny or shaded?

A jug of piss sets it off well too.

Aye we made that mistake the first time we planted them and had them on tap for weeks.

Soil, grass trimmings, wood shavings, teabags, veg peels, and some powder stuff to break it down. It's warm as we have a South facing garden so get the sun a lot, but it's against the side fence so will get a fair bit of shade. Might have to go piss in it.

1 minute ago, Tommy! said:

You won't want many, 1 or 2 plants will probably do as they go mad.

Can corroborate. During lockdown (when the whole economy was going to collapse and we were going to be reduced to a feudal bartering system, obvz),  I took the opportunity to get a big veggie patch going. Mostly a minor success, but my spinach and courgettes took over the whole world. The courgettes were like marrows in a couple of weeks.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Soil, grass trimmings, wood shavings, teabags, veg peels, and some powder stuff to break it down. It's warm as we have a South facing garden so get the sun a lot, but it's against the side fence so will get a fair bit of shade. Might have to go piss in it.

If there's a lot of grass going in try laying some ripped cardboard or paper between the cuttings to help keep air through the pile and increase the ratio of kitchen waste to grass. It shouldn't be wet but needs to be moist (williams.jpeg) and turn it every so often, even if it's just once a year, as it helps keep air through the pile as you pack more in.

Edited by Tommy!

3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Can corroborate. During lockdown (when the whole economy was going to collapse and we were going to be reduced to a feudal bartering system, obvz),  I took the opportunity to get a big veggie patch going. Mostly a minor success, but my spinach and courgettes took over the whole world. The courgettes were like marrows in a couple of weeks.

I concur. My mum planted 2 plants in my greenhouse for me last year and we had courgettes all summer, they end up huge if you just leave them too, bloody enormous.