Gardens & Gardening

Tommy!

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

If you are talking about the big bush it looks like a lace cap hydrangea. 

Thanks, that sounds about right. My mum bought it a while ago, but we lost the tag.

• 8 months later...
  • Paid Members

So, I wondered how everyone's early spring is going.

I'm still working on our set-up but am a bit more organized and made some spring displays this year. dwarf yellow daffodils and taller with a white and orange bloom. As they are dying back the tulips are out, not sure what they are but they are yellow with streaks of red.

They should see me through to the summer set, which is based on some poppies I've got to take from seed off some established plants in a boarder. Not sure what they are, my dad salvaged them before they went in a skip when they were concreting some waste ground at work but they are tall and orange and will sit nice with the roses in backdrop.

I've got over winter broad beans forming but spring planting is nearly done on the veg plot, just carrots to go in, and if I've some space I'll try and squeeze some late planted broccoli in by the cabbage.

I never cleared out my chard and with a mild winter it looks to have kept, so I've repotted and will keep it in this year, but honestly I wasn't planning to plant any as it was a bit shit in salad overall.

My main issue is still getting rid of laurel and connifer cuttings working around the last of the boarder. I'm also not sure some of the hardy perennials I put in around a little fountain I put in have survived, but as it was so mild I'm not sure why they would have died.

Big job for the summer this year is putting a scotch cobblestone path in and extending my mini alpine bed around the greenhouse foundation with some woodland strawberries.

• Paid Members

We've got in a number of new plants, plus the usual veggies (we always grow tomatoes), but truth be told, I think the pandemic/lockdown situation has done a number on us. We've been nowhere near as proactive on the garden as we normally are - a part of that is my parents getting older, but it just feels like we've had too much energy sapped from us. I meant to do some pruning and potting over this weekend, but just couldn't muster the motivation. I'm hoping the weather warming up might help a bit, but the forecast is that it's going to be pretty rainy over the next week, so might not be conducive.

It's a bit saddening, as gardening's something I've definitely come to enjoy a lot more than I used to.

Things are in full swing here at Loki Mansions.  Spent a fair while yesterday raking the moss out of the lawn which is probably the worst job of the year.

We’ve lost a few  things over the winter - one honeysuckle and a rose.  It turns out you can’t replant a rose where a rose has already been which sucks.

Tomatoes, chillis, aubergines, etc are all in propagation.  

@Tommy! I’m with you on chard, it’s a bit shit.  Winter veg seems hard - we used to grow leeks and parsnips well but the last years have been shit.  Purple sprouting broccoli is a good cropper though.

I pulled all the old raspberry canes out last autumn and planted new ones, and they are still belligerently just sticks poking out of the ground.  Not sure how long into the year I need to wait to see SOME movement…

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Loki said:

We’ve lost a few  things over the winter - one honeysuckle and a rose.  It turns out you can’t replant a rose where a rose has already been which sucks.

Yeh, they release a substance that kills any other roses that try to seed. You basically have to dig out a whole bed of soil to do it.

49 minutes ago, Loki said:

I pulled all the old raspberry canes out last autumn and planted new ones, and they are still belligerently just sticks poking out of the ground.  Not sure how long into the year I need to wait to see SOME movement…

Brambles are always an odd one. They will sprout and they will fruit completely at the whims of the gods of nature. We've got a loganberry that's really not done well at all, a golden raspberry that has gone great guns the past few years (we had to chop it back last winter to give it room for new growth this year), and the blackberry brambles get absolutely every-bloody-where but not necessarily blossom or fruit. Nearest as I can gather, best thing you can do is make sure they get plenty of feed (we use either bonemeal or seaweed extract liquid fertiliser).

• Paid Members

If it's new plants they will bit a bit slower to shoot as they'll put effort downward before they go up, especially if they were supplied bare root. It will also depend if they are summer or autumn fruiting stock I believe, which is handy to know for pruning as well. 

• Paid Members

Any of you green fingered motherfuckers ever build a Terrarium? 

I don't mind a bit of gardening and I love houseplants but the whole 'eco system in a jar' thing is brand new to me. Wondering if I can just fill it full of stones, soil, small plants and insects from the garden and let nature take its course. 

Would love to hear if anyone has experience with this. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Sadly I have no answers to Silky's question, but I have some pics of the apple trees in our garden, which are blossoming nicely. The one on the left in the first one is a Discovery, and, judging from the blossoms, we're hopeful of getting a good harvest this year. The one on the left, the Russet, never does particularly well, but it looks alright there. The second pic has the Cox' Pippin, which seems middling.

IMG_20220421_194956.jpg

IMG_20220421_195010.jpg

• Awards Moderator
On 3/31/2022 at 12:21 PM, Silky Kisser said:

Any of you green fingered motherfuckers ever build a Terrarium? 

I don't mind a bit of gardening and I love houseplants but the whole 'eco system in a jar' thing is brand new to me. Wondering if I can just fill it full of stones, soil, small plants and insects from the garden and let nature take its course. 

Would love to hear if anyone has experience with this. 

I don't but I visit the gentle subreddit often https://reddit.com/r/terrariums and https://reddit.com/r/Jarrariums . 

@Carbomb those apple trees look terrific. Blossom from fruit trees is one of the prettiest things in the world.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Absolutely it is. Alexandra Palace in spring is gorgeous, as the avenue running in front has a load of ornamental cherry trees all along it, as does Alexandra Park that slopes downward from it, so when they blossom, it's quite spectacular. 

• Awards Moderator

Mrs Onyx is the gardener and she's terrific at it. I turn up as hired labour to dig holes and lift stuff. Finally finished the paving in March which meant we could finish these beds and borders:

20220422_104852_copy_1008x567.thumb.jpg.2db6f35c224339559b8034869a289909.jpg

20220422_104903_copy_1008x567.thumb.jpg.8fa23347fc8d6c95ac051a70c1fb975f.jpg

Our redline circe apple blossom:

20220422_134653_copy_567x1008.thumb.jpg.8bde4a48c150e467bd5d398fb873dea4.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Moved house in October and the garden had been stripped back to bare soil. Was weird starting a garden from scratch after having an established one for so many years. I kind of caved in and just got as much stuff as I could in to give it some colour so it's a bit messy but hoping by next year I'll have a nice mix of annuals and bedding and some better pots. 

IMG_20220304_101140.jpg

IMG_20220703_133349.jpg

Should be a lot more colour in the next couple of months as the bulbs come out. 

Edited by chokeout