Gardens & Gardening

Tommy!

• 5 months later...

Following the advice of you lovely gentleman here, we covered the vegetable patch with cardboard and mulch last year, except for the strawberry and raspberry plants. 

It's still all intact so we've decided that this year we are going to leave it as it is to keep the weeds at bay and focus on sorting out the grass (got a lovely new lawnmower) and the plants and bushes in the garden. We are still going to grow some veg but will keep it all in the greenhouse to keep it manageable.

Last week I planted 3 different varieties of tomato plants and some baby peppers. Put them in little pots on the kitchen window and covered them with cling film as recommended by my sister to keep them moist. I went to do a little inspection this morning and my San Marzano tomato's have started to grow, I have 5 little shoots that have come through. Hopefully they continue to grow, I'm quite excited as this is the first time I've grown anything from scratch. Has anyone else used the cling film method? As the shoots have now come through the soil, I've removed the cling film. Was this the right thing to do? They are still tiny, I don't want them to stop growing. 

Edited by deathrey