Christmas Dinner Fix It & Show Off Thread

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Mum's decided to do the Xmas Dinner knowing I'm about to start a kitchen job so left me on pastry. Got some mince pies to do tomorrow and maybe a few more batches of sausage rolls as my nephews love them and it's a rare occasion the one doesn't insult me. 

Just nice to do some cooking as post covid/post vaccine I've seriously struggled with standing up for too long the last few weeks. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Red cabbage has been in the slow cooker all day and downstairs smells Christmassy as fuck. 

What do you do with it? I grow a load and keep one back for Christmas, so any recipe advice over just boiling it would be much appreciated. 

I also have a load of sprouts but as it was too mild they are too open to normally, so I'm going to roast them then mash them. Any tips from the UKFF cooking crew? 

Getting more involved with the prep for dinner this year, usually my jobs are to set up the bain marie to keep the sides warm, prep starters and pour the gravies into the boats but tomorrow I’ll be coming in from work and straight (i.e after my takeaway) into chopping and peeling veg as it’s getting a bit harder for mum to do with her arthritis and will be doing more on the day

• Paid Members

My charming daughter has decided to treat us to a gravy jug shaped like a pug in a Christmas jumper.  You fill it in a hole on it’s back, and the gravy pours out of its mouth like it’s puking.  Class.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

also have a load of sprouts but as it was too mild they are too open to normally, so I'm going to roast them then mash them. Any tips from the UKFF cooking crew? 

Roast is good, not sure they need mashing after. Douse in oil and season liberally. 

Halve, fry with bacon and butter. 

Grate and mix with mash / leftover roast potatoes for bubble and squeak. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Tommy! said:

What do you do with it? I grow a load and keep one back for Christmas, so any recipe advice over just boiling it would be much appreciated. 

Shred the cabbage. Chop up an apple and an onion. Put it all in the low cooker. Add salt, pepper, allspice, nutmeg & cinnamon. Add orange juice & red wine vinegar and let it sit. Stir in some red currant jelly & you're away. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Roast is good, not sure they need mashing after. Douse in oil and season liberally. 

Halve, fry with bacon and butter. 

Grate and mix with mash / leftover roast potatoes for bubble and squeak. 

I'll give it a go, thank you. 

Most haven't formed correctly, so rather than being a tight ball of leaves they are open and I assume they will break apart during cooking as a result hence the mash expectation. 

• Awards Moderator
Just now, Tommy! said:

I'll give it a go, thank you. 

Most haven't formed correctly, so rather than being a tight ball of leaves they are open and I assume they will break apart during cooking as a result hence the mash expectation. 

Ah I see. Quick blast in the microwave and then in bubble and squeak (that loose effect happens if it wasn't cold enough this year. They love a sharp frost).

• Paid Members

Well, opened the Turkey this morning and it was fucking rank, stunk the house out.  Had to run to Tesco to grab another.  Thankfully, they had loads of nice ones left.  In the oven now, and will be rattling over to Aldi on Monday with my receipt.

• Paid Members

Trying a dry brine for the turkey this year, apparently it keeps the meat moist and gives extra crispy skin. Just a simple mix of coarse salt, black pepper and thyme, generously rubbed over and stuck in the fridge this morning. I’ve only ever cooked turkey once before and it was a bit of a disappointment but I’ve got high hopes for this. Giblet stock for gravy is simmering away and just about to make a start on the smoked mackerel pâté and tiramisu. 
Love this time of year for cooking. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, stumobir said:

Trying a dry brine for the turkey this year, apparently it keeps the meat moist and gives extra crispy skin. Just a simple mix of coarse salt, black pepper and thyme, generously rubbed over and stuck in the fridge this morning. I’ve only ever cooked turkey once before and it was a bit of a disappointment but I’ve got high hopes for this. 

With turkey and chicken I do the same (normally with some crushed garlic in there too) but I do it between the meat and the skin. Never heard about it helping with moisture but it does make the skin lovely and gives a nice flavour to the meat. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Trying a dry brine for the turkey this year, apparently it keeps the meat moist and gives extra crispy skin.

Yes its a total game changer, will be the best turkey you've ever had. I've pleaded with my family to do this, as well a not cook it until its well over the safe temp, in previous years but it falls on deaf ears..."don't want it to be too salty". Wouldn't be Christmas without the traditional overcooked and dry as fuck meat would it?