Wrestlers who never should turn face/heel

TomJones233

• Paid Members

I couldn't see Ravishing Rick Rude as a face, but he knew how to sell, and I'd imagine he'd be able to get sympathy from a crowd if he needed to. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

They weren't ever really heels, were they? More like "cool" dickheads who fucked with everyone regardless of being good or bad.

I couldn't stand the stable, so maybe I'm putting my own revisionist history spin on things!

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I couldn't see Ravishing Rick Rude as a face, but he knew how to sell, and I'd imagine he'd be able to get sympathy from a crowd if he needed to. 

Yeah I think it’s mostly because I only ever saw him as a heel, and he was so good in that role, that I can’t picture it.

Here’s a little glimpse of what was going to become babyface Rude;

Shame it never got to play out. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

That reminds me that Vader had a short run as a face in WCW didn't he? Bit weird.

Feuding with the Horseman wasn’t so bad but the idea he’d be on Hogans team for War Games was ludicrous. Fate intervened, wonderfully.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Feuding with the Horseman wasn’t so bad but the idea he’d be on Hogans team for War Games was ludicrous. Fate intervened, wonderfully.

He also saved Ricky Morton and Tommy Rich from a beatdown from the Freebirds early on is his WCW run, when he still had a full mask. I don't think they ever followed up on it though. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, IronSheik said:

Ricky Morton's heel run as Richard Morton never got over with me. Think he's a natural classic babyface.

Starrcade 91 (Citation needed) he's wrestling as heel Richard Morton, but drawn to team with Dustin Rhodes in the Battle Bowl/Lethal Lottery tournament. At the end they hit the old Rock & Roll Express double dropkick and Morton instinctively goes into that default babyface on one knee throwing up the horns pose for a second before remembering he's supposed to be a heel and walking away.

The York Foundation was such an interesting idea for a stable, but some of the people they picked for it were a bit out of left field. Rotunda as "Similar to, but legally distinct from IRS" and Terence Taylor, the Taylor Made Man made sense, but then babyfaces like Morton and Tommy Rich just didn't fit. Mr Hughes could have been a good fit, especially as he was already suited and booted. It wasn't really the best time for it either as you already had the Dangerous Alliance, otherwise a team like Eaton and Arn Anderson would have been a good fit. "statistics indicate that you've both won all these tag titles between yourself, therefore you should be able to dominate the tag team ranks in WCW." What a team they would have been as well. I know they teamed sometimes in the Dangerous Alliance, but it always felt like they wanted Zbysko and Arn to be the tag team in that group just to protect the Cruncher as he'd have been getting on a bit by then. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Formatting

• Paid Members

Old bastard Rock n Rolls were amusingly portrayed as heels in the much-maligned NWA invasion story of 1998 WWF, which might be remembered more fondly if it hadn’t been a misguided attempt to make stars of Sparky Plugg, Bart Gunn and Blackjack Bradshaw.

• Paid Members

Historically you'd say Steamboat but apparently there was a training seminar once (I think the weekend of the first Pillman tribute show) where he improvised a short match with Terry Taylor where Steamboat played the heel and was utterly amazing at it.