Stings lack of evolution post wcw!

32 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

I still find it hard to believe that no one can see that by not changing up his image and colours that a cash cow in merchandise was lost???

If you own a black sting shirt why buy another one???  If there's a palette of colours and variants of design it just opens far more options and sales potential. 

It's why cena kept changing colours, Mysterio changes masks etc. 

Someone like sting with the paint and symbol was a total missed opportunity given it was part of his character, and not something like Austin and Rock whom had a locked in look but a massive amount of catchphrases to blast accross shirts. 

People recognise Sting and buy tshirts with him on in the character they recognise. Just look at that AEW one, it's pretty shit but sold bucket loads instantly. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Yeah, hopefully nobody falls for any of that bollocks. They were looking for reasons not to veer away from Hogan. That's all it is.

Oh totally.

It was one of those cunty bits of sabotage that end up being self-fulfilling too. They decided he "wasn't ready" so cut his balls off and killed his momentum, then when his title run wasn't great, they could be like "See! Told you he wasn't ready, brother!" Even if he really wasn't ready to carry the company, they could've put him over strong that night, kept his momentum going and then taken the title from him another time.

Same with Bret to an extent. They barely did anything with him that didn't include a reference to Montreal and then they were like "Yeah. Bret never got over Montreal".

2 hours ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Interesting that wcw was planning turning Sting into a crow character before the nwo, I wonder if they had any plans How'd they get him to the character, the nwo and wcw betrayal made sense although a bit emo and ott but got the job done.

His storyline with Luger could easily have led that way.

Luger was a heel, managed by Jimmy Hart and in the Dungeon of Doom, but Sting kept defending him and couldn't see his faults. Even when Luger was clearly fucking him over, doing stuff like signing them up to wrestle the Road Warriors, and then pulling out, so Sting had to team with Booker T in a match that went on forever.

If the Outsiders hadn't come in, it was only a matter of time before Luger turned on Sting. He kind of did anyway. It was Luger's mistrust of him, after Sting had shown him nothing but loyalty, that led to the gimmick change.

1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

Regarding Starrcade 97, Sting may have been out of shape but that isn't (or at least isn't the only) reason it's shit. Hogan had been scared on Sting for months, then he basically beats the hell out of him for 10 minutes and pins him. The fast count got screwed up and then Sting wins. So Hogan got screwed over. Crappy booking from Bischoff and he's just blaming Sting to protect him and his mate. From what I remember every Hogan match in WCW was the drizzling shits bar some that involved Ric Flair or Randy Savage, and even some of them sucked balls; is Sting at fault for them too?

I think you might've got the wrong of the stick.

No one blamed Sting for the match quality. Bischoff's excuse for the shitty match lay out was because that they had to change it on the fly, because Sting wasn't mentally ready for the position that they were prepared to put him in. The fact he hadn't been working out and didn't have a tan were just the two examples he gave to back up that view.

It's also worth mentioning that I once read an interview with Nick Patrick where he said he'd been told to count normally.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

Plus Crow Sting just looks cool. To a casual, the white paint, the jacket, the bat, he's a bad ass. The out of shape argument is just lame. Its not a shoot. Nobody believes Chris Evans is Cap. So to give Sting shit for that is just unfair, Imo.

But he does have America’s ass.

@JakeRobertsParoleOfficer give it a rest, mate. Every point you’ve raised has been completely undermined by fact. I really don’t know what your argument is? Sting’s got a well-established gimmick, and it shifts merchandise even to this day. He’s a multimillionaire. He’s well-respected.

What more do you want? To gamble on a shitty gimmick change like “Shorty G” in a bid to keep things “fresh”? Give over.

Since we're talking about Stinger anyway, WrestleMania 31 has to be one of my biggest guilty pleasures in wrestling. I know the usual reasons why I should hate that match, but it's immensely satisfying. Triple H's terminator entrance, the decent-without-loads-of-false-finishes old school main event pace of it, the absolute ludicrousness of the nWo/DX run ins. It was essentially a promotional spot for the Monday Night Wars series on the Network with some of the worst commentary ever, but I watch it once a year I'd say. 

Belting WrestleMania, actually. 

5 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Since we're talking about Stinger anyway, WrestleMania 31 has to be one of my biggest guilty pleasures in wrestling. I know the usual reasons why I should hate that match, but it's immensely satisfying. Triple H's terminator entrance, the decent-without-loads-of-false-finishes old school main event pace of it, the absolute ludicrousness of the nWo/DX run ins. It was essentially a promotional spot for the Monday Night Wars series on the Network with some of the worst commentary ever, but I watch it once a year I'd say. 

Belting WrestleMania, actually. 

That would be a good idea for a thread of its own

Guilty pleasures that you enjoy that most people find shit. 

don’t think Sting needed to reinvent himself, he moved with the times and change things up too much and it waters it down  

HOWEVER....Sting did “The Crow” then incorporated “The Joker”, if he did reinvent himself what cultural icon could he pay homage to next? I’m saying Sting “Joe Exotic”. Painted on tiger face, tries to run for President and gets married to Darby Allin and Jungle Boy. 

Any other ways he could reinvent himself?

He's left money on the table not fashioning himself after Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. The character evolution writes itself: he appears, points his black baseball bat at someone, shouts "GET OVER HERE" and from the tip of the bat shoots a spear on a chain, stabbing his foe in the chest and dragging them to their toasty doom.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

He's left money on the table not fashioning himself after Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. The character evolution writes itself: he appears, points his black baseball bat at someone, shouts "GET OVER HERE" and from the tip of the bat shoots a spear on a chain, stabbing his foe in the chest and dragging them to their toasty doom.

Yeah, I think everyone wonders "what could've been" about the Mortis gimmick.

I give up with you lot!

This forum has always been a w**k fest for a few Mods with a god complex but in last few years it's become rediculous. 

There's about 6 posters on here that basically make this forum up and  if it doesn't fit with there opinion of wrestling it gets derision and cained. 

May as well just close the forum to new users. 

To whomever has the authorisation please delete my account. 

Oh and this isn't a petulant, rant or sulk, I'm just fucking off! 

• Paid Members

5 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

I give up with you lot!

This forum has always been a w**k fest for a few Mods with a god complex but in last few years it's become rediculous. 

There's about 6 posters on here that basically make this forum up and  if it doesn't fit with there opinion of wrestling it gets derision and cained. 

May as well just close the forum to new users. 

To whomever has the authorisation please delete my account. 

Oh and this isn't a petulant, rant or sulk, I'm just fucking off! 

Have you considered that, rather than an intentional,  organised gang up, it might just be that in this situation you're dead wrong? There have actually been a number of sincere responses in this topic, but when your argument hinges on how Sting should have been more like John Cena, can you not see why that might get made fun of?

7 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Oh and this isn't a petulant, rant or sulk

Yes it is.