Stings lack of evolution post wcw!

15 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I've seen the Nitro book mentioned a few times, I assume it's well worth picking up? 

It's a bit overrated, but it's decent enough. It pissed me off reading it for a number of reasons, but there's good in there too. It's a perfect illustration of why it went tits up - in the book, nobody ever did anything wrong, and the reason things went bad was the corporate structure that is nice and vague, offers nothing concrete, and they all came off as complete wet blankets, out of their depth with no spine while trying to each come like they are the talented one.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

Bischoff talks about that on 83 Weeks all the time. They even sell a T-Shirt based on it. 

He doesn't go into much detail about what Sting's issues actually were but it doesn't come across like it was a drug problem. It was more that he was literally out of shape. He hadn't wrestled in years, hadn't been going to the gym, wasn't tanned and generally didn't look like he was" mentally ready" to carry the company

Of course that reasoning kind of lacks credibility since they still put the title on him and gave him a run. They just decided to cut his balls off first, and took Bret's too just for good measure.

Depends on the company. A lot of them just don't give a shit. Konnan got his name off Conan The Barbarian, and even used the full name in Mexico, but the only time he heard anything about it was when he tried to trademark it. Even then he just got told not to take the piss.

Plus, as Tommy said, it would also have involved a long, costly, legal battle against Turner that they might not have won. Sting was obviously inspired by The Crow but there's enough unique characteristics (the baseball bat, the scorpion motif, not talking, descending to the ring from the roof, etc) to argue that it was a distinct character in it's own right.

Weren't a lot of Stings issues because he was following in Brets footsteps and throwing one in every rat he came across and his wife found out?

Edited by Chasingamymatt
typo

1 minute ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Sting did a shitty biopic called the "Moment of Truth" where he's smashed off his tits all the time until "The Lord" finds him. It's worth watching for some of the funny scenes of Steve Borden playing himself as a mess in the mid-90s.

Didn't they reference Undertaker for some reason in that movie? Abyss is in it too if i recall.

That Sting biopic looks ludicrous. I don't think I can go into it sober. 

Remember when Russo tried to do a Christian indie fed? Ring of Glory or something? I remember a promo video that just used loads of TNA footage. He had a Christian themed book out as well, like the guy from Korn. He seems to have largely left that stuff behind, but he was proper white knighting it up for awhile. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chasingamymatt said:

Weren't a lot of Stings issues because he was following in Brets footsteps and throwing one in every rat he came across and his wife found out?

He fell out with luger because of that didn't he. His attempted make good to his wife was to say how much worse everyone else is on the road and essentially threw luger under the bus? 

2 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Ring of Glory

Sounds like something @femalewrestling would be plugging in paid. 

Interesting that wcw was planning turning Sting into a crow character before the nwo, I wonder if they had any plans How'd they get him to the character, the nwo and wcw betrayal made sense although a bit emo and ott but got the job done.

He definitely took some stuff from The Crow, he started doing a "stumbling type sell" like Crow did

Just some random thoughts :

Re ; the Crow sting . Wasn’t there rumours that Al Snow either tried out or was about to try out as a similar Crow character in late 1995 before he ended up doing avatar ?

Also, I seem to remember that Sting spoke about Joker Sting like it was the creative highlight of his career .... Does anybody else remember that ?

I would have assumed Crow sting would have been hands down , but not the case it seems

I loved the Sting gimmick in 1997 but I really hated the attire he ended up wrestling in. Same for Wolfpac Sting.

31 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Just some random thoughts :

Re ; the Crow sting . Wasn’t there rumours that Al Snow either tried out or was about to try out as a similar Crow character in late 1995 before he ended up doing avatar ?

Also, I seem to remember that Sting spoke about Joker Sting like it was the creative highlight of his career .... Does anybody else remember that ?

I would have assumed Crow sting would have been hands down , but not the case it seems

I loved the Sting gimmick in 1997 but I really hated the attire he ended up wrestling in. Same for Wolfpac Sting.

Crow Sting was probably heavily written for him, I think with Joker Sting he just had fun with a rather silly but fantastic gimmick.

Regarding Starrcade 97, Sting may have been out of shape but that isn't (or at least isn't the only) reason it's shit. Hogan had been scared on Sting for months, then he basically beats the hell out of him for 10 minutes and pins him. The fast count got screwed up and then Sting wins. So Hogan got screwed over. Crappy booking from Bischoff and he's just blaming Sting to protect him and his mate. From what I remember every Hogan match in WCW was the drizzling shits bar some that involved Ric Flair or Randy Savage, and even some of them sucked balls; is Sting at fault for them too?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Regarding Starrcade 97, Sting may have been out of shape but that isn't (or at least isn't the only) reason it's shit. Hogan had been scared on Sting for months, then he basically beats the hell out of him for 10 minutes and pins him. The fast count got screwed up and then Sting wins. 

Its mad how much I believed wrestling commentators as a kid.

Looking back this is nowhere near a fast count, yet because big Tone said it was then it must have been.

I don't think I even realised there was any controversy until I got access to the internet.

e15366ab203f6ae6-600x338.gif

Edited by garynysmon

I still find it hard to believe that no one can see that by not changing up his image and colours that a cash cow in merchandise was lost???

If you own a black sting shirt why buy another one???  If there's a palette of colours and variants of design it just opens far more options and sales potential. 

It's why cena kept changing colours, Mysterio changes masks etc. 

Someone like sting with the paint and symbol was a total missed opportunity given it was part of his character, and not something like Austin and Rock whom had a locked in look but a massive amount of catchphrases to blast accross shirts. 

4 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

I still find it hard to believe that no one can see that by not changing up his image and colours that a cash cow in merchandise was lost???

If you own a black sting shirt why buy another one???  If there's a palette of colours and variants of design it just opens far more options and sales potential. 

It's why cena kept changing colours, Mysterio changes masks etc.

That's not an evolution though is it? Which is the title of the topic.

And Cena and Mysterio are not good examples of constant evolution either.