Stings lack of evolution post wcw!

Hi guys

Sting became the Crow in what 97 with The white/black and Barring a short run as red 'wolfpac' Sting

spacer.png

He has kept the same look until WcW shut in 01.

After that Barring his 2006 semi 'hybrid' surfer,/wolfpac/Crow vs Jarrey at BFG

spacer.png

And 'Joker' Sting in 2011

spacer.png

Its pretty much been this:

spacer.png

Since 1997 (only the hair has receded) 

Was it laziness and comfortability that stopped him updating it as I always found face painted wrestlers interesting as they could keep changing up their look. Sting did it pre Crow and if there was one thing you can Say about Warrior but fuck his image was amazing and he always changed his paint and gear up. 

I think if he'd changed his look up (always loved Wolfpac version) and kept it exciting like Warrior, WWF would have been more inclined to make him a BIG offer as he'd have been a hot property as though he did some great stuff in TNA it wasn't 'BIG' scale and he kinda became stale and 'part of the furniture' as opposed to the wow 'look at Sting'. 

Yes wwf brought him in but that was really a cash out by Steve in a "I'm 55, I think I'll get the HOF, DVD and Wm payday now that tna can't pay me 400k pa" deal and his look (and hair) didn't scream effort. 

He arguably phoned alot of it in during his tna run and by default his look has been outdated from the 90s as the 'Avenging angel' had nothing to avenge after wcw and the nwo died. 

What do you think? 

• Paid Members

In fairness I thought that the Joker Sting stuff was pretty innovative for a guy that didn't really need to be at that stage of his career.

I can't really blame Sting for any staleness during his WWE run, given that after a certain time in their eyes you're in a perpetutal timecapsule. This the same company that ignored the whole Bully Ray run and thought this Dudley Boy was incapable of doing anything apart from wearing camouflage and shouting "wassup! 15 years after that had long run its course.

Sting could have had a major gimmick change and spent five years pretending he was a soldier or something yet you know full well he'd have emerged from behind that WWE curtain and confronting HHH wearing the same gear as he was in March 2001.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

So you're saying he hasn't changed up his look apart from when he has?

Besides, since leaving TNA hes been on a legend run. No one wants to hear the rolling stones new stuff,  they want brown sugar (and, ironically, you cant always get what you want)

That was my point. 

Did his lack of "oopmh" in that dept cost him a big wwf Contract earlier? 

All those other changes lasted a very short time, either 1 event or a couple of months at most... In 23 years! 

At the least it must have hurt merchandising, fan interest and potential options. 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Sting did it pre Crow and if there was one thing you can Say about Warrior but fuck his image was amazing and he always changed his paint and gear up. 

I think if he'd changed his look up (always loved Wolfpac version) and kept it exciting like Warrior, 

In the entire time you're talking about, the Warrior had one match. And he wore his usual look for it, except for a haircut. And in the entire time since Sting became Crow Sting, Warrior had four matches, in which he... wore a coat.

Compare Sting to any of his contemporaries, and he's probably reinvented himself more than most.

I'm reminded of Stewart Lee talking about being compared to Bill Hicks - "I wish I could be judged on nine gigs, instead of having to keep going and reducing the quality of my obituary with every show."

16 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

I think Hogan is the exception. His look ha seen iconic twice

Red/yellow and nWo

He also has far more crossover appeal than Sting and an iconic look whereby probably more people recognise him globally than the US president. 

I don't like Trump, but this is just bullshit.

• Paid Members

Puzzling point to make. Sting has shown up in WWA, TNA, WWE and AEW post WCW. He was always going to be the classic Crow Sting character on entry to all of them. The only one he worked extensively to date was TNA and he evolved into several different things while taking Carter's mug money.

Agree very much that he looked the business at BFG.

• Paid Members

The Bound for Glory look was very clever, because its all old shit mashed up into a Super Stinger. The pants and boots are Wolfpac Sting (with the classic Stinger long tights instead of singlet.) He had that jacket on during the Black Scorpion days. And the makeup and hair is sort of 96 Surfer Sting with the white under it. Its a great look.

• Paid Members

According to the Nitro book, AFX studios were working on the crow idea for months before Scott Hall showed up. They put it down to Sting having a bad memory (read: he was fucked up in those days.) So I imagine Stinger was growing the hair out in preperation for the character before it was set in motion. The face was from the Crow, but the outfit was based Kyle MacLachlan's character from Dune. Scott Hall always takes the credit, but the outfit was already made by the time the nWo formed.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

The BFG look was what I was trying to get at. 

If he'd gone that way and changed up the colours etc you'd pretty much have a continually great look. 

It he'd broke out 'crow' Sting when needing to go dark and 'wolfpac' style Sting when he needed to crazy you could have had the equivalent of the 3 faces of Foley (BFG hybrid, Crow, wolfpac) which would have been far more interesting.