UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 - Jan 23 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Listening to this week's episode of the Co-Main Event podcast, and it's got me nice and excited for Chandler Vs Hooker. This is a top of the line test for both men. I hope Chandler comes through the other side with the W as I want to see all those 'Dream' fight possibilities happening with stakes attached. I feel like a lot hinges on the main event result really, for what is next for the winner. I'm guessing the loser fights Tony Ferguson though. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I'm guessing the loser fights Tony Ferguson though. 

Not if McGregor loses. He’ll probably get an immediate title shot at 170 or something, based on his win at 170 over that titan of the Welterweight division Donald Cerrone. Although, actually, as much as that would be ridiculous I would love to see what Usman would do to McGregor.

I love the Hooker vs Chandler fight but I’m really not sure what we’re getting. On the one hand, I think this UFC move is coming a tad late in the game for Chandler. He’s still a very good fighter but I don’t think he’s quite the force he once was. People forget but that classic first Eddie Alvarez fight is nearly 10 years ago now. And it wasn’t that long ago he was getting done in a minute by Patricio Pitbull.

CF3188A5-66C4-42E1-BC08-A75C76C5FB14.gif

His rebound wins since then over Sidney Outlaw and a 37 year old Benson Henderson aren’t exactly proof he can swim with the sharks at the top end of the UFC’s 155 division.

But on the other hand, maybe this move at this time has given him that extra push to make the best of this opportunity. It’s a fresh start in a new promotion, the biggest in the sport, loads of fresh fights available to him, added incentives for another major title, PPV money, potential for a big fight with McGregor and so on. At 34, he’s probably not got that long left at the highest levels so if he’s ever going to make something big happen now is the time. And timing-wise, he couldn’t really have timed it better with Khabib’s retirement. Now he’s out of the way, Chandler’s chances of getting his hands on UFC gold are a lot better than they were previously. I guess it could be the perfect storm for him.

I’ve got a feeling Hooker takes it though. This Chandler/UFC run could go either way for me, we’ll see. There’s a chance he comes in refreshed and with renewed goals and motivation and has a bit of a resurgence. Kind of like when Robbie Lawler returned to the UFC from Strikeforce years ago. But I don’t know. I can’t shake the feeling that’s it’s just coming too late and he’s being thrown right in at the deep end in arguably the toughest division in the whole sport. Hooker’s probably never getting a sniff of the UFC belt but that just speaks to how strong that division is. In almost any other promotion I think Hooker would probably be either the champ or right there in and about the title picture. He’s tough as nails and is always game. Chandler hasn’t beat a fighter as good as Hooker since, you’re probably going back to 2016 and his knockout over Patricky Pitbull. He’s going to have to be on point here and something close to the best version of himself. Or this quest for UFC gold will be bollocksed at the first hurdle. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

My bad, reading that back it does look like I'm talking about the loser of the main event. I was actually trying to mean the loser of Chandler/Hooker fighting Tony Ferguson. 

The winner of Chandler Vs Hooker I think could be in the lucky dip along with Gaethje, Oliviera and Khabib for the winner of McGregor/Poirier. If Poirier wins, I think they are all possible next stops. If McGregor wins, then he'll probably go missing for another twelve months and fuck knows where things stand. 

• Paid Members

I think if McGregor wins he’ll probably fight again this year because his next fight would probably be for the title and Khabib’s not around to take his lunch money and piss in his PE kit now. If he loses he’ll probably go on one of his ‘drink, snort, tweet, repeat’ sessions for the next 6-12 months.

There’s so many ways you can mix and match those top 5-10 at 155 and there’s not really a dud to be found. I’d love to see Oliveira against the winner of Hooker/Chandler. At the same time though, Oliveira deserves a crack at the belt now so I’d be fine with him facing the winner of McGregor/Poirier for the vacant belt. Sadly, I can see the UFC being hesitant to do that. As much as Oliveira has earned a shot, I can see McGregor and Dana deeming him ‘unworthy’ because he’s got the midcard stench on him, not a big enough name etc. Bollocks, but I can see them trying to insinuate someone else into that spot if it comes down to McGregor vs Oliveira. This is why Dana’s pushing so hard for Khabib to come back. If McGregor beats Poirier again, there’s a bunch of contenders at 155 waiting for him but none of them are mega fights like the Khabib rematch would be. It’s also probably the reason Dana’s been on about this mysterious Nate Diaz fight that would ‘put him in a great position’ if he wins. If McGregor beats Poirier and Nate wins his fight, don’t be surprised if Oliveira, Gaethje, Chandler and that lot get passed over in favour of McGregor vs Diaz 3 for the title.

You know it.

8E8A0130-EC05-40A3-ADA8-54FC8D2C0AA8.jpeg

• Paid Members

You're definitely on the ball there. Diaz being active again is Dana's back up option for McGregor, should Khabib stay out. It's also one of them fights they can go to even if it doesn't go to plan for the UFC and either Diaz, McGregor (or both) happen to lose. 

• Paid Members

It's a shame McGregor's still considered current, and that Pettis is now in the PFL - if there's one match he'd be in that would be interesting, it's probably that. 

• Paid Members

i'm with wand. as this show has got closer, my Bellator fanboy blinkers have come off and im thinking more logically about the Chandler/Hooker fight and its probably gonna end up a rough night for Chandler, the bookies agree too.

Chandlers hype coming in has been pretty unique. Its the first time a Bellator original has really moved directly into the UFC from the promotion and its felt like a massive deal. Problem is, as wand. pointed out, it was widely accepted that Chandler was probably on his way down and past his best before he got the UFC shout. All that's been forgotten though now hes made the jump. I hope im wrong in thinking that and Chandler is still close to his prime cause id love to see him do well.

Win or lose though I think we'll see Chandler in some barn burners no matter at what level in the UFC. He's pretty much nailed on to go on to do some sort of punditry role afterward too, he's made for it.

McGregor is actually underrated by many hardcore fans. His record and ability tend to get overlooked. 

But those odds are insane.

It's a 50/50 or 55/45 type fight. If Poirier was 2/1, the odds would be generous. 

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Chandlers hype coming in has been pretty unique. Its the first time a Bellator original has really moved directly into the UFC from the promotion and its felt like a massive deal. Problem is, as wand. pointed out, it was widely accepted that Chandler was probably on his way down and past his best before he got the UFC shout. All that's been forgotten though now hes made the jump. I hope im wrong in thinking that and Chandler is still close to his prime cause id love to see him do well.

Chandler's reputation is massively flattered by his 2 fight series with Alvarez. Two fights that took place over 7 years ago. 

Beyond those fights, his record is nothing to write home about. He got sparked by Pitbull, lost twice to Will Brooks, and barely beat Bendo the first time. He holds wins over some decent fighters, like the older Pitbull brother and Yamauchi, but that's about it. 

The UFC's Lightweight division is a shark tank and is in another dimension to Bellator's LW class. I expect (and hope) that Chandler will get swallowed up in it.