UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 - Jan 23 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This undercard is nowhere near as shit as most we’ve had this year. It’s just not heavy on ‘names’. Burgos vs Dawodu is a cracker and the likes of Tsarukyan, Azaitar and Nurmagomedov are legit exciting prospects and all up against decent opposition on paper. Albazi looked handy in his debut as well actually. Whack a decent co-main on this and it’s pretty sweet. Won’t be paying £20 for it, mind, but it’d be a solid card. It’s not UFC 254/Khabib vs Gaethje deep but it was never going to be. As David says, McGregor shows don’t need stacking up to pop a good number so why bother?

It’s far from cack though. And it’s definitely better than the undercard for McGregor’s last fight with Cerrone. 

Edited by wandshogun09

43 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

This undercard is nowhere near as shit as most we’ve had this year. It’s just not heavy on ‘names’. Burgos vs Dawodu is a cracker and the likes of Tsarukyan, Azaitar and Nurmagomedov are legit exciting prospects and all up against decent opposition on paper. Albazi looked handy in his debut as well actually.

I honestly wouldn't know who any of those guys are if they walked past me in the street. Seriously. 

Fighters don't really get on my radar now unless they're fighting for a belt, co-main, or facing a "name."

• Paid Members

Yeah and that’s fine. Everyone’s going to dip in and out and cherry pick what they want. But there are some fighters on this card who genuinely look promising for the future and their fights should be worth a look. Just because someone mightn’t know them doesn’t mean the fights are shite. But on the other side of the coin, I totally get why you wouldn’t see it as PPV worthy because there’s no real established names outside the headliner. I mean, fuck, the next biggest name on this card after McGregor and Poirier is probably Michelle Waterson.

So yeah, I like this card on the whole. There’s at least one fighter I like/enjoy watching in almost every fight. But if it ends up on BT Box Office (and you know it’s going to), I can definitely see why people would criticise it when BT are wanting to chisel an extra £20 out of them for the privilege. The fights themselves should be fun though. Especially if you’ve got a way to watch them for free. 

Edited by wandshogun09

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah and that’s fine. Everyone’s going to dip in and out and cherry pick what they want. But there are some fighters on this card who genuinely look promising for the future and their fights should be worth a look. Just because someone mightn’t know them doesn’t mean the fights are shite. But on the other side of the coin, I totally get why you wouldn’t see it as PPV worthy because there’s no real established names outside the headliner. I mean, fuck, the next biggest name on this card after McGregor and Poirier is probably Michelle Waterson.

So yeah, I like this card on the whole. There’s at least one fighter I like/enjoy watching in almost every fight. But if it ends up on BT Box Office (and you know it’s going to), I can definitely see why people would criticise it when BT are wanting to chisel an extra £20 out of them for the privilege. The fights themselves should be fun though. Especially if you’ve got a way to watch them for free. 

No, i'm not saying it isn't PPV worthy. I'm just saying that when we're sold an event these days, we're sold it based primarily on the main and co-main, much the same as boxing. I'm gonna buy the Joshua fight because I want to see Joshua fighting. I'll likely watch the Fury fight as he looks a decent hand and Wach always comes to fight, but I'm not all that arsed about seeing the rest.

It's like, if Joshua falls off that card the event is goosed. Same for this, and many other UFC cards nowadays.

I'm firmly of the belief that if I get one fight I really want to see, and a decent co-main or bout elsewhere on the card, I'm happy to pay up. 

• Paid Members

I should’ve been clearer. I meant the rest of the card under the main not being PPV worthy. But you’re right, it’s the way it is now. McGregor undercards are never going to be loaded because they don’t need to.

My previous post is out of date already by the way...

13 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I mean, fuck, the next biggest name on this card after McGregor and Poirier is probably Michelle Waterson.

Looks like Ribas is fighting Marina Rodriguez instead. 

7 hours ago, David said:

I honestly wouldn't know who any of those guys are if they walked past me in the street. Seriously. 

Fighters don't really get on my radar now unless they're fighting for a belt, co-main, or facing a "name."

This card in particular looks like your night mare. Hard to pronounce names and Khabib-lite chin beards galore. 

I have really soured on McGregor like most of us have, so in a silent protest I will be tuning into the whole show like I always do but I will be avoiding anything McGregor related in the build up. I will watch Embedded but that's about it, any press conference or interview I see of his I won't be clicking to watch. When I mean tuning in, I mean acquiring. Screw paying money for a McGregor fight.

Anything Dustin related I shall be watching and enjoying though. I love Dustin.

I know it's a weird thing to say but I'm kind of glad Waterson pulled out, I like her a lot and I was not looking forwarding to cheering against her against the future star in the making that is Ribas.

I was thinking about this the other night. So like we got with the Khabib vs justin PPV card over here. It was put on BT sport's box office but it also started at a really good time for us here in the uk.......

With this PPV being once again on fight island AND having Conor Mcgregor headlining surely we have to belive it will be done the same and made for an acceptable time here in the uk so the majority of Conor fans can buy the PPV and watch live. It makes sense right?? 

32 minutes ago, David said:

I doubt it. The PPV sales in Europe likely won't come close to the US sales for a McGregor PPV. 

Really? For Connor's first fight in exactly a year in a rematch against Porier??? You think sales in the US would beat the UK/IR sales for it.

Why would they have done it for Khabbib vs Justin and not do it for the top UK name in the company

12 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Really? For Connor's first fight in exactly a year in a rematch against Porier??? You think sales in the US would beat the UK/IR sales for it.

Why would they have done it for Khabbib vs Justin and not do it for the top UK name in the company

Because Khabib is a bigger name in more regions of Europe I think. The schedule was set to accommodate Russia, Europe and the Middle Eastern nations.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

Because Khabib is a bigger name in more regions of Europe I think. The schedule was set to accommodate Russia, Europe and the Middle Eastern nations.

Well, his surname is.

But yeh, that does sound right. With the patriotism sweeping Russia right now, and the fact that the ME nations will tune in to see any event headlined by a guy with a Muslim name, it wouldn't surprise me.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Really? For Connor's first fight in exactly a year in a rematch against Porier??? You think sales in the US would beat the UK/IR sales

Numbers wise yeah, plus bare in mind US PPV prices are more than double what the UK prices are.

It's just a numbers game. 

There's less value in accommodating the MMA-supporting percentage of an audience of 70 million people than there is accommodating the MMA-supporting percentage of an audience of 370 million based in Canada and the US alone.

Add in the fact that we're paying the equivalent of under $30 for the show, while the US audience is shelling out around $65.

• wandshogun09 changed the title to UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 - Jan 23 🇦🇪 🏝