UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 - Jan 23 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

@Dai Yeah that was terrible. Like they had to get it done by 3pm one day so just knocked any old shite together in 10 minutes.

On the names/billing thing, I could be wrong and I haven’t given it much thought but I’ve always assumed it’s a case of whoever is higher ranked at the time gets top billing. Like now, Poirier is ranked #2 at Lightweight, McGregor currently sits at #4. But then, were there even rankings when Mendes fought him? Fuck knows. Although Mendes had challenged Aldo not long before that fight and McGregor was still on the climb at that time. So while it seems slightly odd now, back then I don’t remember it seeming like that. And the Diaz rematch, I guess Diaz got first billing because he won the first fight etc. Doesn’t matter in the grand scheme but I think it’s a ranking thing these days. 

Edited by wandshogun09

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

@Dai Yeah that was terrible. Like they had to get it done by 3pm one day so just knocked any old shite together in 10 minutes.

On the names/billing thing, I could be wrong and I haven’t given it much thought but I’ve always assumed it’s a case of whoever is higher ranked at the time gets top billing. Like now, Poirier is ranked #2 at Lightweight, McGregor currently sits at #4. But then, were there even rankings when Mendes fought him? Fuck knows. Although Mendes had challenged Aldo not long before that fight and McGregor was still on the climb at that time. So while it seems slightly odd now, back then I don’t remember it seeming like that. And the Diaz rematch, I guess Diaz got first billing because he won the first fight etc. Doesn’t matter in the grand scheme but I think it’s a ranking thing these days. 

Well it’s nice that their rankings actually mean something. I mean, I’m sure a fighter ranked number one would prefer their name first on a poster and not something trivial like a mandatory title shot. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well it’s nice that their rankings actually mean something. I mean, I’m sure a fighter ranked number one would prefer their name first on a poster and not something trivial like a mandatory title shot. 

092C1662-E87E-46AF-BE85-60597308955E.gif

I think Gaethje, Oliveria and Poirier are the only lightweights worthy of fighting for the mandatory title. McGregor and Chandler don't have any recent wins over top-tier lightweights. 

Thus, I'd book Gaethje vs Oliveria for the vacated title, and have Poirier and McGregor fight to be the number 1 contender. 

On 1/7/2021 at 8:58 PM, jimufctna24 said:

I think Gaethje, Oliveria and Poirier are the only lightweights worthy of fighting for the mandatory title. McGregor and Chandler don't have any recent wins over top-tier lightweights. 

Thus, I'd book Gaethje vs Oliveria for the vacated title, and have Poirier and McGregor fight to be the number 1 contender. 

Gaethje has just fought and lost for the title so in my opinon it wouldn't be fair for him to get a shot ahead of some of the other guys on win streaks that you mentioned. However, we know UFC don't like waiting around in having belts vacated and those two are the only fighters in the top 5 who don't have fights booked already so I think there is a strong chance your idea comes to fruition.  

It's a bit of a mess, it depends how quickly they want to crown a champion. I would personally wait and have the winner of Poirier/McGregor fight Oliveria for the title.

I'm just glad they haven't panicked and made the Dustin/Conor fight a title shot.

28 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

fuck sake...

If this is true then the main card for this PPV that is already very weak suffers even more. Surely they have to try and look for a replacement fight to add to the main card instead of just going for the easier option of just bumping up a fight off the prelims. They are already repeating themselves from the last Conor headlined ppv which was also incredibly weak and riding solely on the fact Conor is in the main event.

44 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

If this is true then the main card for this PPV that is already very weak suffers even more. Surely they have to try and look for a replacement fight to add to the main card instead of just going for the easier option of just bumping up a fight off the prelims. They are already repeating themselves from the last Conor headlined ppv which was also incredibly weak and riding solely on the fact Conor is in the main event.

Seriously man, no one is buying this event because it has Hakeem Dawodu on the undercard. 

This is a Conor McGregor fight. That's why people are buying it. No other reason. Just the same as people buy an Anthony Joshua fight, or a Mike Tyson fight.

The UFC could remove all of the undercard and replace it with people we've never heard of and it would still do the same amount of buys. 

• Paid Members

Yeah they won’t care. It makes zero odds to the UFC or the eventual PPV number and to them it’s not worth the hassle to have to scramble and find a replacement fight on this kind of notice.

And I’ll say it again, people mightn’t know a lot of the names on the undercard here but it’s a lot better than that McGregor vs Cerrone card from last January. We had Holly Holm vs Raquel Pennington as co-main on that one, for fuck’s sake. Hooker vs Chandler obviously pisses all over that. Then the rest with Ribas, Azaitar, Muradov, Tsarukyan and Nurmagomedov is way better than last year’s undercard. Not ‘names’ but you don’t need names on a McGregor undercard. There’s some really good and exciting prospects on this one. I can honestly say I’m looking forward to every fight to some degree (bar Pena vs McMann), it’s definitely stronger overall than your usual McGregor card.

Yeah, they’re not looking for a replacement; 

Edited by wandshogun09