Paid Members hallicks Posted December 1, 2020 Paid Members Posted December 1, 2020 5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said: There's this version of the Gruffalo that I stuck on from YouTube the other day and the fox has a really thick scouse accent. I liked it! I think I'm going to do that from now on.. I used to do UK regional gruffalo with meandering voices for my eldest when she was 1-2. I tried again a few years later and she got so fucking cross. "Talk properly, dad!"
Members SuperBacon Posted December 1, 2020 Members Posted December 1, 2020 46 minutes ago, hallicks said: I used to do UK regional gruffalo with meandering voices for my eldest when she was 1-2. I tried again a few years later and she got so fucking cross. "Talk properly, dad!" One for the kids thread, but my 7yo was suffering from a real lack of confidence, especially at school so when I dropped them off along with the "Have a good day, I love you" I started saying "I'm always really proud of you". About a week of this passed and they turned to me and said "Stop saying that. You're being embarrassing and weird"
ThumpSquids Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 I'm sad that there's been no, 'One Ted Falls Out of Bed' love thus far. It's an epic, every-man adventure y'all! My 9-year old has graciously passed down all his picture books to his 17-month old brother, and we're all reliving a great many Donaldson's.
Paid Members Teedy Kay Posted December 2, 2020 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2020 Anyone else's Snake speak with a Mexican accent? I'm a fan of Zog, my eldest adored it so I do through osmosis, and my voices are top drawer with a Scottish teacher, pompous girl and Zog sounding like Kathy Burke's Perry. Room on the Broom is easily the Donaldson's finest work though.
Paid Members Dead Mike Posted December 2, 2020 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2020 16 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said: She does seem to be good at putting newcomers over though. She works with a number of different writers and illustrators and being able to put her name on their solo works must be brilliant for their exposure. And her bank account! I'm just being a cynical cunt, I'm sure she's lovely.
Retro Red Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 I know it’s veering off to Judith Kerr but my Tiger who came to tea was very much in the style of Leslie Phillips.
alanchiz Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 26 minutes ago, Dead Mike said: And her bank account! I'm just being a cynical cunt, I'm sure she's lovely. A couple of years ago we got our son to send her a letter asking for some books for a school Christmas raffle, she sent him a really nice letter back. Couldn't send any books as she says she gives spares to a local school or something, but she sent some signed stickers which I put on some of her books, which did well at raising some money for the school. In comparison, he also sent one to David Walliams, and got a standard 'fan club' type corporate letter back (at least it was a response though) She really does seem nice Also, haven't seen it mentioned, but 'The troll' is a good one
Mr_Danger Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 31 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said: I know it’s veering off to Judith Kerr but my Tiger who came to tea was very much in the style of Leslie Phillips. It’s impossible to imagine it any other way.
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted December 2, 2020 Author Moderators Posted December 2, 2020 27 minutes ago, alanchiz said: A couple of years ago we got our son to send her a letter asking for some books for a school Christmas raffle, she sent him a really nice letter back. Couldn't send any books as she says she gives spares to a local school or something, but she sent some signed stickers which I put on some of her books, which did well at raising some money for the school. In comparison, he also sent one to David Walliams, and got a standard 'fan club' type corporate letter back (at least it was a response though) She really does seem nice Also, haven't seen it mentioned, but 'The troll' is a good one The troll is great. Really well written in that there are no good guys at all in the two stories that interweave but the troll himself is still a sympathetic character. (The pirates have strong Scottish agents in my reading incidentally, and my daughter loves shouting "fish!" In a Scottish accent now) I watched/read a couple interviews of hers that I found online as I was curious to see if she seemed nice and she came across very well.
Paid Members Carbomb Posted December 2, 2020 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2020 14 hours ago, hallicks said: I used to do UK regional gruffalo with meandering voices for my eldest when she was 1-2. I tried again a few years later and she got so fucking cross. "Talk properly, dad!" When I worked at the Lyric theatre in the West End, we had The Gruffalo for the kids during one Christmas, the next year was Room On The Broom. The actor playing the dragon basically did a Rhod Gilbert impression, a growling Welsh accent. Fit perfectly.
Mr_Danger Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 Yeah because all dragons and sheep must be Welsh.
Paid Members Carbomb Posted December 2, 2020 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2020 41 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: Yeah because all dragons and sheep must be Welsh. Was a combination of the growling and that he was dressed as a big red dragon. If he'd been green or blue, probably not as much.
westlondonmist Posted December 3, 2020 Posted December 3, 2020 I love The Smartest giant in town. I read that before the gruffalo, I quite like Zog and the flying doctors too. My little one watched the TV version of room on the broom and just seemed in awe of it.
BrodyGraham Posted December 7, 2020 Posted December 7, 2020 Tabby McTat, Day Monkey/Night Monkey and Stick Man were the big 3 in our house. To be fair Donaldson has so many titles and we have so many books in general that I forget sometimes which ones are hers.
Paid Members Thunderplex Posted December 23, 2020 Paid Members Posted December 23, 2020 BBC2 7:30pm there’s a programme on called The Magical World of Julia Donaldson that some of you might like.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.