The works of Julia Donaldson

Chest Rockwell

5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

There's this version of the Gruffalo that I stuck on from YouTube the other day and the fox has a really thick scouse accent. I liked it! I think I'm going to do that from now on..

I used to do UK regional gruffalo with meandering voices for my eldest when she was 1-2. I tried again a few years later and she got so fucking cross. "Talk properly, dad!" 

46 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I used to do UK regional gruffalo with meandering voices for my eldest when she was 1-2. I tried again a few years later and she got so fucking cross. "Talk properly, dad!" 

One for the kids thread, but my 7yo was suffering from a real lack of confidence, especially at school so when I dropped them off along with the "Have a good day, I love you" I started saying "I'm always really proud of you".

About a week of this passed and they turned to me and said "Stop saying that. You're being embarrassing and weird"

• Paid Members

Anyone else's Snake speak with a Mexican accent?

I'm a fan of Zog, my eldest adored it so I do through osmosis, and my voices are top drawer with a Scottish teacher, pompous girl and Zog sounding like Kathy Burke's Perry.

Room on the Broom is easily the Donaldson's finest work though.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

She does seem to be good at putting newcomers over though. She works with a number of different writers and illustrators and being able to put her name on their solo works must be brilliant for their exposure.

And her bank account!

I'm just being a cynical cunt, I'm sure she's lovely. 

26 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

And her bank account!

I'm just being a cynical cunt, I'm sure she's lovely. 

A couple of years ago we got our son to send her a letter asking for some books for a school Christmas raffle, she sent him a really nice letter back. Couldn't send any books as she says she gives spares to a local school or something, but she sent some signed stickers which I put on some of her books, which did well at raising some money for the school.

In comparison, he also sent one to David Walliams, and got a standard 'fan club' type corporate letter back (at least it was a response though)

She really does seem nice

Also, haven't seen it mentioned, but 'The troll' is a good one

Edited by alanchiz

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, alanchiz said:

A couple of years ago we got our son to send her a letter asking for some books for a school Christmas raffle, she sent him a really nice letter back. Couldn't send any books as she says she gives spares to a local school or something, but she sent some signed stickers which I put on some of her books, which did well at raising some money for the school.

In comparison, he also sent one to David Walliams, and got a standard 'fan club' type corporate letter back (at least it was a response though)

She really does seem nice

Also, haven't seen it mentioned, but 'The troll' is a good one

The troll is great. Really well written in that there are no good guys at all in the two stories that interweave but the troll himself is still a  sympathetic character. (The pirates have strong Scottish agents in my reading incidentally, and my daughter loves shouting "fish!" In a Scottish accent now)

I watched/read a couple interviews of hers that I found online as I was curious to see if she seemed nice and she came across very well. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, hallicks said:

When I worked at the Lyric theatre in the West End, we had The Gruffalo for the kids during one Christmas, the next year was Room On The Broom. The actor playing the dragon basically did a Rhod Gilbert impression, a growling Welsh accent. Fit perfectly. 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah because all dragons and sheep must be Welsh.

Was a combination of the growling and that he was dressed as a big red dragon. If he'd been green or blue, probably not as much. 

• 3 weeks later...