A thread in which for Arsenal and Spurs fans to have sexual tension and poor banter 20/21.

PowerButchi

2 hours ago, Factotum said:

Well that game last night thoroughly annoyed me. The referees in this country have been shit for years and VAR has somehow made them even more shit.

I can see how itĀ mightĀ have been a penalty, if it happened elsewhere on the pitch and a free kick was given nobody would say anything. I really struggle to see how it can be a red card though, strictly he didn't play the ball, but he also didn't deliberately take the player out.

I'm not sure it's the refs fault, you must have consistency in these situations and if the PGMOL have drilled these interpretations in to the referees that is where the problem lies. It's better that everyone gets sent off (or realistically everyone doesn't get sent off) rather than some getting sent off and some not.Ā 

1 minute ago, stewdogg said:

I'm not sure it's the refs fault, you must have consistency in these situations and if the PGMOL have drilled these interpretations in to the referees that is where the problem lies. It's better that everyone gets sent off (or realistically everyone doesn't get sent off) rather than some getting sent off and some not.

But there is no consistency at all. I completely agree with you that the PGMOL have to take a lot of the blame on this, but there was an incident with Brighton/United this year with an incident with Pogba I believe. Ref checked it on the side and reversed the decision. Nothing like that happened last night. I always think that for anything like tackles, handball etc. VAR shouldn't be used and the ref should check it on a monitor.Ā  VAR for offside is fine (though baffling at times)

Also on the rules again, Red cards should be used for violent conduct for me and deliberate fouls. We see too many people sent off now for basically nothingĀ  (not just Arsenal here) that ultimately changes the game.

I suppose an organisation with Mike Riley in charge is never going to be fit for purpose. Have they even worked out what handball is?

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I couldn't really work out why it was a penalty (and I'm a Wolves fan!) I've watched it about 8/9 times now and still can't see where the contact was made. Arsenal got really unlucky with that as if that first half was anything to go by, it could've been a thumping.

He stands on his heel, which affects the run of Jose.

Keown was kicking off because Jose's heel hit Luiz's knee, it's the movement before that which is the foul.

The rules fucked him there, nothing the ref could really do. There's a number of rules that really need looking at and that as a red is one of them.

Fuck sake, do our marketing department just come up with different ways of how to indirectly take the piss out of our fans?

Although we lost last night, I would rather lose like that, playing to attacking strengths rather than nicking a goal and trying to defend it for 80 minutes and end up losing, or more recently not do anything at all and end up losingĀ 0-1.

I mean obviously I'd rather win but attacking is surely our best form of defence. At the start of the season we were scoring loads of goals compared to our Xg, Everton did that to us last night (scored 5, but Xg was 2.45)Ā I don't really mind losing games like that.

Our motto is To Dare is to do, not To sit back and take no chances and get to a cup final and 6th in the leagueĀ šŸ˜

Well, yes it wasn't great yesterday but we're not exactly haemorrhaging goals. We kept a clean sheet in the last game, conceded one (a penalty)Ā against Chelsea, and conceded one against Brighton. The games against Brighton andĀ Chelsea were painful to watch, there was absolutely no forward momentum, I would rather have lost those games 5-0 but at least tried to score rather than being completely toothless and losing anyway. Even the Liverpool game we never got at them, I know it didn't help with losing Kane but it was so boring.

We are much better playing an attacking styleĀ of football. When you see how we play last night, I reckon Bale would've loved something like that. Our attacking players are ridiculous, Lamela, Son and Lucas all play better when we attack. When we play more defensively Lucas and Son are basically useless. Let's play to the teams strengths, using the players at the disposal.Ā 

• Paid Members

Sometimes supporting Spurs is like living out the same series of events time and time again, like a football Groundhog Day. Not even just events, but themes and ideas. I used to have a tiny book of quotes called The Little Book Of Spurs, and time and time again it rings true. Especially these days when anything Mourinho does that gets highlighted as not what the club aspires to is juxtaposed to a swashbuckling defeat like the other night, where the team attacked like they gave a shit but the holes in midfield meant anything could happen. I describe supporting Spurs as ā€œIā€™ve seen them concede four goals and still win, Iā€™ve seen them score four goals and still loseā€ far more often than most clubs, and sometimes itā€™s just comedy.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, stewdogg said:

Although we lost last night, I would rather lose like that, playing to attacking strengths rather than nicking a goal and trying to defend it for 80 minutes and end up losing, or more recently not do anything at all and end up losingĀ 0-1.

(Snip)

Our motto is To Dare is to do, not To sit back and take no chances and get to a cup final and 6th in the leagueĀ šŸ˜

To quote the great Danny Blanchflower ;

ā€The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.ā€

Although a better quote, to whom I canā€™t remember is attributed, is ;

ā€Tottenham would rather lose a game 4-3 than win it 1-0.ā€

And watching some of the defending the other night and every time Winks touched the ball, I remember Hollys words in Red Dwarf ;

ā€Thatā€™s a load of Tottenham, that is. A steaming pile of Hotspur.ā€