General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

All down to being successful too quickly. We abided by FFP for the Championship, and for the Prem. Sadly the FFP for European competition is stricter than our domestic competitions. If we hadn't qualified for Europe last year and happened to this year, we'd be fine.

Further shows the ridiculousness of FFP. 

• Paid Members
On 8/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, METAL ON METAL said:

So the useless EFL (who brought you such gems as telling teams ahead of time what their finishing position would be if they chose to end the season and postponing the vote on said decision until literally days before their return to play deadline so a restart would be impossible) have passed a new ‘salary cap’ for League One and League Two.

This salary cap means that the likes of ourselves, Ipswich and Portsmouth have to have the exact same wage bill as the likes of Crewe and Accrington - despite the former clubs having a much larger income and a better wages/turnover ratio than the latter clubs and crowds of largely 20K+ for home games (Accrington get the likes of 2K per home game).

But that’s not all, teams coming into the league from Championship relegation aren’t required to comply. So all that is ever going to happen is the recently relegated teams will go straight back up again and any team that does manage to go up will come crashing back down because they haven’t got the wage budget to compete to stay in the division.

The PFA are considering legal action as they deem it ‘unlawful and unjust’.

Football outside of the Premier League has needed this to happen for going on 15 years, so I'm all for a salary cap. It's the way it's been implemented that's the issue. The cap should have been x% of turnover, or all it does is attract more crooks to the bigger clubs in the affected leagues. I can see the reasoning behind it(to close the gap between top and bottom, and force clubs to live within their means, but doesn't feel like this is the right solution. 

As for the PFA's "unlawful" comment, that's just bollocks. Both Rugby codes have had a cap for years, and it's worked well(even with the Saracens debacle). It would only be unlawful if it actually limited a players individual pay. But a squad cap is fine.

In other shitty EFL news, All of Charlton's owners have failed the leagues Fit and Proper Person Test, about 8 months after they took control. The league don't half make things hard for themselves, do they?

Edited by Cod Eye

@Cod Eye Oh, I totally agree the leagues need a salary cap of sorts, but as you say the % of turnover idea is the smartest and most logical solution - which isn’t a surprise that the EFL didn’t think of it. 

Implementing it under 5 weeks before the season starts is also indicative of the idiots in charge.

God, I miss standard of refereeing being my most loathed feature of being in League One.

Would a salary cap based on turnover not prevent smaller teams competing though? I get that it’s shit that a big team like Sunderland are forced Into financial parity with a much smaller team like Accrington Stanley but it’s great for Accrington Stanley and teams of that ilk. It means success will be based on sporting merits more than financial superiority. Also, could Sunderland not just offer a big signing on bonus to make it up? Are they not paid in instalments anyway?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Would a salary cap based on turnover not prevent smaller teams competing though? I get that it’s shit that a big team like Sunderland are forced Into financial parity with a much smaller team like Accrington Stanley but it’s great for Accrington Stanley and teams of that ilk. It means success will be based on sporting merits more than financial superiority. Also, could Sunderland not just offer a big signing on bonus to make it up? Are they not paid in instalments anyway?

Not really(in my opinion). You have to allow the bigger team with the bigger fanbase reap the rewards, otherwise there is no point any club trying to develop their stadiums or market their clubs. It's similar to years ago, where the gate receipts were split 50/50 every match. Teams like Man Utd and Liverpool were who had huge stadiums and fan bases were losing out financially(as 50% of their gate receipts were much more than what they got when they played away at a, say 20,000 seat stadium).

As a Barnsley fan, a club that will be in the bottom 4 or 5 Championship clubs in terms of attendances and income, I'm fine with it. At least if everyone could only spend what they have, it would be fair. 

• Paid Members

To my knowledge % of turnover was the previous agreement, and it meant realistically it should have been easier for more sponsor friendly and bigger stadium teams to get out the lower leagues and let those at the same level financially fight it out, instead it caused issues like Sunderland, Bolton etc being a cash project for someone to get rich quick and leave them a shambles when they didn't go up.

The entire lower league system in England is just both exhausting and a joke, and its all too little too late trying to make the league fairer now, because all that's going to happen is clubs like Portsmouth, Ipswich and co stockpiling money until the league balks at the idea backtracks and then they go and blow it all in one summer, especially if the rules aren't enforced for relegated clubs.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

To my knowledge % of turnover was the previous agreement, and it meant realistically it should have been easier for more sponsor friendly and bigger stadium teams to get out the lower leagues and let those at the same level financially fight it out, instead it caused issues like Sunderland, Bolton etc being a cash project for someone to get rich quick and leave them a shambles when they didn't go up.

The entire lower league system in England is just both exhausting and a joke, and its all too little too late trying to make the league fairer now, because all that's going to happen is clubs like Portsmouth, Ipswich and co stockpiling money until the league balks at the idea backtracks and then they go and blow it all in one summer, especially if the rules aren't enforced for relegated clubs.

That is the big issue. The bigger teams will either stockpile the money, like you say, or the owners will use the club as a cash cow and pocket absolute fortunes which will get the attention of crooks wanting to do the same...

What’s the contract situation with Nuno Espírito Santo? I was thinking he’s probably earned himself a move up the ladder now and wondered if he could be off soon. Would United fans swap Solskjaer for him? I reckon he’d be a good fit for Spurs had Spurs not severely fucked themselves over. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Gutted that Wolves got knocked out last night, would of been great to see them in the final.

You support West Brom. Why on earth did you want to see Wolves win? 

2 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Rudiger in a Cupboard's finally been bested.

Nah, all about Rudiger still. The feeling of the video being cobbled together rather than slickly made, the acting, and the idea being far odder makes it better.

You like Hazard, don't you?!?