This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I mean that's the great thing about sport isn't it, that we all have our opinions? 

Or do we just get told that we're wrong when we do have an opinion?

Either way, I hope you enjoyed the fight as much as I did and have a cracking evening.

I mean, yes it’s possible to be wrong. Not everything can just be opinions. That’d be infuriating.

Where it seems to be breaking down is if you wanted Dubois to win it was perfectly clean, if you wanted Usyk to win it was low. The reality is it was clearly, objectively, a borderline call as the brunt of the blow is received by the waistband, which is perfectly legal, but it rose up from lower than optimal.

I think on balance the ref took the safest course of action, and you can’t fault him.

Secretly, Frank will probably be delighted as it gives him a narrative. I doubt he sees through the appeal, though.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

10 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Where it seems to be breaking down is if you wanted Dubois to win it was perfectly clean, if you wanted Usyk to win it was low. The reality is it was clearly, objectively, a borderline call as the brunt of the blow is received by the waistband, which is perfectly legal, but it rose up from lower than optimal.

I absolutely couldn't care less who won. To me it looked low, that's all. 

Don't think there is much to complain about from the Dubois camp. But when your fighter also has a 4 minute rest mid fight. Then is completely gassed 3 rounds later. You would do anything to deflect. The 8th round knockdown and 9th round stoppage didn't look very debilitating. Dubois could have continued if he really wanted to. Standing prone when the ref counts in your face, and then popping up like a jack in the box at 10. Oh damn, missed the count by milliseconds.

It was Definately low, there's a million freeze frames and angle shots thst show it. 

Again it comes done to what camp your in, as to what you want to see. 

Perosnally I think he chanced his arm, reached from the Andrew Golota "kill his nutsack" playbook!!! 

Frank Warren is a bellend for complaining. 

It's not like Dubois was caining him, landed low and it 

1. Bought usyk time

And

2. Saves him from certain defeat

Dubois lost every round, and even when usyk was clearly still not right didn't go in and finish the job.... Hell usyk finished the round better tham dubois! 

Iow blow aside, all DD did was get his arse handed to him for 9 rounds!!

Warren must be a sadist to want to put DD through that again. 

In the end DD didn't know wether he was Daniel Dubois or Dani Minogue. All he knew was there was a canvas beneath for him and he reached for it!! 

Warren is jus arse hurt as guarantee of DD had been awarded that, it'd be DD vs Fury as early as December!! 

52 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Frank Warren is a bellend for complaining. 

There isn't a promoter in the land that wouldn't complain about that. He knows his guy wasn't winning a technical boxing match. It was generally believed that Dubois would need to land a hard shot and win that way. Which, it could be argued, he did. 

But even with all of that aside, he wouldn't be doing his job if he just said, "yeah, my guy wasn't up to the task." It's his job to ensure the narrative is that Dubois was robbed and was unlucky so that when his next fight comes around, there's a lot of interest.

1 hour ago, David said:

There isn't a promoter in the land that wouldn't complain about that. He knows his guy wasn't winning a technical boxing match. It was generally believed that Dubois would need to land a hard shot and win that way. Which, it could be argued, he did. 

But even with all of that aside, he wouldn't be doing his job if he just said, "yeah, my guy wasn't up to the task." It's his job to ensure the narrative is that Dubois was robbed and was unlucky so that when his next fight comes around, there's a lot of interest.

Have you seen his rants.

He's acting like a tit. 

If he handled it with abit more class rather than acting like his fighter wad robbed it'd be different. 

Its not like his fighter was DQ when ahead on points, or winning. 

Bottom line is that if he was ever going to win it DD should have emptied the tanks with usyk hurt. 

He didn't and finished the round on the losing end!!! 

17 minutes ago, neil said:

Whats the reasoning behind "that robbed me of the win"...seems much the same as in the UFC, no fighter is going to be go "I'm alright" when the ref gives them the time.

His body is his weak spot, he was hurt by the punch so had he not been given time to recover from a legit punch, he’d have been stopped pretty quickly afterwards. 
That’s their story and they’re sticking to it. It all hinges on whether it was a low blow or not. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

His body is his weak spot, he was hurt by the punch so had he not been given time to recover from a legit punch, he’d have been stopped pretty quickly afterwards. 
That’s their story and they’re sticking to it. It all hinges on whether it was a low blow or not. 

And either way, it only helps Dubois stock as he moves forward to his next fight, doesn't it? which is the name of the game.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing (Smith vs. Eubank II - Sept. 2nd) 🥊
  • Paid Members

my super late thoughts on on the controversy

I think the debate over the punch will rage on, it could have been called, but it wasn't and I don't really see an issue either way, the ref called it on the spot and that's how boxing goes sometimes. What I don't think people are discussing is how Usyk would have reacted if a count had been started. I re-watched it last night and within 3 seconds of being knocked down Usyk is sat against the ropes looking at the referee, i'm fairly certain if the ref had been counting, Usyk would have gotten up and continued. There seems to be a narrative that Dubois got robbed of a knockout because Usyk was down for a few minutes, but the only reason he stayed down was because he was given chance too, and at that point he's only milking what the rules allow and the man was clearly hurt regardless of what part of his body was hurting, the ref insisiting he take longer after Usyk clearly said he was ready to go was a little odd though. 

What I don't like about Dubois and his team's reaction post-fight (but I get it 100%) is that the low blow was in round 5, there were 7 rounds to go, Dubois had ample time to get to Usyk again, but he ended up got broken down and seemed to look for a way out in round 9, it aint like it was super close and Usyk squeaked it on the points. Dubois saying he was discouraged after round 5 and that it took the wind out of his sails isn't really flying with me.

• Paid Members

Tomorrow then, from a sold out MEN:

F4DwsSNXwAEQ8zk.thumb.jpg.356903416df046a30a02039bb5afda30.jpg

Any thoughts? I think im leaning Smith on points, I can't see him stopping Eubank again but I am interested to see what Eubank does to change things up. 

Solid supporting bill too, i'll be settling in a kebab and a couple of cans of Pepsi for this.