This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, David said:

He seems like a guy who just wants to be left the fuck alone to enjoy the rest of his life.

I definitely think there's an element of truth to that. Moreso I just think he's had enough of playing the media game and keeping that persona up. I think the Usyk losses burned AJ pretty bad with the backlash and the criticism not to mention actually realising there's someone out there that he can't beat.

Before the Franklin fight he flat out said he's in it for the money now and I think that's cearly the priority, whereas before he was always talking about legacy and the titles.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing (Usyk vs. Dubois - Aug. 26th)🥊
  • Paid Members

There's 'shit boxing thread' for such occasions Kfogg :laugh:

But yeah, I saw it. It all goes with the territory though. An absolute circus. 

John Fury though? Why are they allowing him on stage? What does he have to do with anything. He basically hijacked the whole thing with his "i'm a real fighting man" schtick. I don't even think he's in promotional mode, the guys just mental.

• Paid Members

20230822_223414.thumb.jpg.3470152d8bf99d037e3a6c7954f95a97.jpg

2 days out then...

Does anyone give Dubois are a shot? The odds are cruelly wide for a man who punches as hard as Dubois, but landing that KO punch is about the only chance he has isn't it?

I'd love to see Dubois go out full of belief and go for it, but I do see him getting discouraged at the lack of success and maybe takes a painful beating down the stretch. Usyk on points.

The great man....

It’s not completely ridiculous to think Daniel can win. Just mostly ridiculous.

His feet are much better than people give him credit for, he has a superb jab when he can establish it, works the body in a way most big heavies don’t and - as everyone knows - he can really bang.

His issue is, he never gets his head off the centre line. His head is *always* where his opponent expects it to be, which makes him uniquely vulnerable even after his own attacks. That’s what hurt him against Joe, for every shot he threw he got one back and Joe’s better accuracy won out over time.

If he can sort that out, get amongst Usyk with varied attacks, keep light on not just his feet but in the trunk and move his head accordingly, he could win. He probably does only have six rounds to win, though.

That said, Usyk within 8 - 10 rounds.

An opponent that’s not for a reputation for hitting low, in a different environment, would be World Champion right now.

Everything else in the fight is as you’d expect, Dubois had to pay too big a price for every combination. Every time he went in he had to eat a more accurate shot in return.

BUT… Usyk doesn’t like it to the body, and that ‘low blow’ was borderline AF!

Just now, SuperBacon said:

I think who you wanted to win dictates how you see it, but it was low.

I mean, it wasn’t and it’s not that clear cut. It was borderline, and rose into the belt. Six times out of ten that’s called a legal shot. But it’s a referees discretion call, not an outrage. But it’s definitely not a clear low blow.

It’s not a robbery either, as you don’t know what happens if the ref starts counting and over the course of the fight he was the better fighter.

It’s bad luck though. If the fight was in the UK, I suspect Daniel would have at least scored the knockdown if not the win.

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Thats great, but in my opinion it was low.

Cool. If you think that was a clear groin shot, good for you.

You’re wrong, though.

What’s annoying, though, is people now conflating Daniel being downwind of a borderline call with him being the better fighter. Usyk was fat and away the better fighter and Daniel ultimately looked for a way out.

Usyk is still the best heavyweight not named Fury. But Fury jabs his head off.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

3 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Cool. If you think that was a clear groin shot, good for you.

You’re wrong. 

I mean that's the great thing about sport isn't it, that we all have our opinions? 

Or do we just get told that we're wrong when we do have an opinion?

Either way, I hope you enjoyed the fight as much as I did and have a cracking evening.