"Off the surfboard, into the drink - what a wazzock!"

I just don't understand how the original of Takeshi's Castle could be improved by a remake. Part of the charm was how dated and alien it looked - and the whole thing was dramatically elevated by Craig Charles narrating in some Bravo one-man studio, no doubt smoking crack and not having the remotest clue what was going on. 

Just finished Ted Lasso, which was heartwarming even with a lacklustre series 3.

Screw on channel 4 is better than average prison drama.

The highlight of my viewing is the revamped Takeshi's castle, this time narrated by Romesh Ranganathan and Tom Davis. This time, they narrate the whole show, giving a bit more depth and it's such easy watching. 

• Paid Members
On 9/2/2023 at 2:59 PM, Wideload90 said:

Just finished Ted Lasso, which was heartwarming even with a lacklustre series 3.

I've seen so many people call Ted Lasso heartwarming and feel good which I have always found frustrating as I don't feel good after watching it. I feel annoyed that I've watched something so vapid, empty and terrible. Awful characters being awful and a childish dimwitted view of optimism and kindness. The fact so many people get suckered by absolute simplistic nonsense like this and After Life baffles me. If it wasn't for the swearing it'd be no different from some godawful 90s kids show. (not trying to have a go specifically at you WideLoad90, this is just me having a general rant)

On the other hand, I've nearly finished The Bear season 2 and it's stressful, painful, hilarious, wonderful and genuinely heartwarming. Because all these characters earn their redemption and they do it in small, gradual ways like real people do and recognises that changing yourself for the better is a very hard thing to do but absolutely worthwhile. I'm comparing the two because in many ways they tackle the same themes of "fish out of water", found families, personal growth, etc. Seeing a character like Richie singing Taylor Swift in his car is worth a thousand scenes of the characters in Ted Lasso having a big discussion about their FEELINGS.

In short, put Ted Lasso in the fucking bin where it belongs. Watch better stuff.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I've seen so many people call Ted Lasso heartwarming and feel good which I have always found frustrating as I don't feel good after watching it. I feel annoyed that I've watched something so vapid, empty and terrible. Awful characters being awful and a childish dimwitted view of optimism and kindness. The fact so many people get suckered by absolute simplistic nonsense like this and After Life baffles me. If it wasn't for the swearing it'd be no different from some godawful 90s kids show. (not trying to have a go specifically at you WideLoad90, this is just me having a general rant)

On the other hand, I've nearly finished The Bear season 2 and it's stressful, painful, hilarious, wonderful and genuinely heartwarming. Because all these characters earn their redemption and they do it in small, gradual ways like real people do and recognises that changing yourself for the better is a very hard thing to do but absolutely worthwhile. I'm comparing the two because in many ways they tackle the same themes of "fish out of water", found families, personal growth, etc. Seeing a character like Richie singing Taylor Swift in his car is worth a thousand scenes of the characters in Ted Lasso having a big discussion about their FEELINGS.

In short, put Ted Lasso in the fucking bin where it belongs. Watch better stuff.

You sum up The Bear well, but your view of Ted Laso sounds more like a you problem than that of the show. 

• Paid Members

I've enjoyed the couple of episodes of the Takeshi's Castle reboot; it's fun seeing basically the whole show, with all the weird sketches and character stuff, even if I can't understand any of it, rather than just the random clips from the Challenge version. It doesn't have the charm of Craig Charles' voiceover, but also doesn't skew into Tarrant on TV "isn't foreign telly mad?!" territory quite as often, so swings and roundabouts. 

I enjoyed the explanation in the first episode about why there are three mini-bosses in this series, only for Romesh to immediately say, "or it's because the producers couldn't get Takeshi for the full shoot", or something along those lines. It's still a daft easy watch, that's all I want from it. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You sum up The Bear well, but your view of Ted Laso sounds more like a you problem than that of the show. 

I'm not really sure what this means. I don't have a problem. Ted Lasso is (only in my opinion of course) a very bad show. That's it. That's all I'm saying.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The fact so many people get suckered by absolute simplistic nonsense like this and After Life baffles me.

I watched all 3 series of that despite despising it, so I have no doubt I will probably do the same for Ted Lasso at some point.

I am single yeah, and I hate myself.

On a Gervais note, I started rewatching Extras and whilst it's nowhere near as funny as I first found it, it's still really amusing, especially the Kemp episode, and I 100% believe Ross would batter Vinnie if shit had gone down. 

You don't get in the Super Army Soldiers for nothing.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm not really sure what this means. I don't have a problem. Ted Lasso is (only in my opinion of course) a very bad show. That's it. That's all I'm saying.

I highlighted that sentence because you don’t feel good after watching it. Most people don’t seem to find it vapid, empty and terrible either. It certainly left me feeling in better mood watching it, especially season 1, so I was suggesting that’s probably a you problem and not a problem with the show. That’s not to say you’re wrong of course because that’s like, your opinion man. But I found it one of the more successful shows balancing feelings on that way. Especially as part of a comedy about football which are historically shit.