The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

THE CINEMA... THE LORE... LOOK, ISN'T WRESTLING COOL AND I'M SO VALIDATED.

As a tribute to something you'd see at an Alton Towers scarefest or something, it was very well done and extremely novel seeing the gorilla position all fucked up etc. I cannot criticise them having a vivid imagination for what they wanted to do.

But it might be as bad as the time The Miz had to fight WWE canon legit real zombies that one time. Losing Bray Wyatt was an unfathomable tragedy, but he might leave one of the most 'Oh DO fuck off with that shit' legacies of all time. Even in death he scooped worst match of the year.

UKFF must really not be a fan of the Wyatt 6 (Sicks), considering the next most disliked person on here, returned on last night’s episode.

4 pages later of discussing what went down last night, I’ve seen no mention of Seth still.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

We all accepted The Undertaker was a spooky "dead man" when we were growing up.

At some point we have to realise we're all sad old bastards and we're not the target audience for any of this.

Undertaker is arguably the only ever major success in an extremely long list of "spooky bollocks" gimmicks though. 

Even then Undertaker originally was during the time of over the top cartoon gimmicks being across the entire company.

I'd love to see it being a success but it just seems so out of place from the rest of the direction they seem to be moving in sadly.

Edited by TAFKA Jonny Vegas

3 minutes ago, Matthew said:

UKFF must really not be a fan of the Wyatt 6 (Sicks), considering the next most disliked person on here, returned on last night’s episode.

4 pages later of discussing what went down last night, I’ve seen no mention of Seth still.

I liked that he cleared up those baldy rumours straight off the bat. 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed it for what it was, it was always going to be a wrestlecrap, Brays stuff outside of the original Wyatt family always was, but as a singular segment I enjoyed it. I've always enjoyed the naffer elements of wrestling than the matches though, give me daft segments and pageantry over 60-minute slogfests. 

The build up to Brays stuff is good and gets you wanting the payoff, but once the latest iteration of the character arrives, theres no where to go, but down.

Horses for courses, of course. We're all just miserable bastards through it all that probably enjoy complaining about things than actually enjoying them, I know I do. Getting older is shit.

It was a cool 5 minutes to watch on YouTube. Not sure I’d want it dominating a three hour show I watch every week but it was a nice addition to the highlights package. Obviously Uncle Howdy is a shit name with a shit Bo Selecta mask on top of a completely average wrestler. It’s destined for the bin.

Pretty sure the only reason it got a good reaction was because people like Bray as well. Nothing to do with the others. Some of them probably think Howdy is Bray Wyatt.

Not for me, Jeff

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah as much as we might put it down to us all being grumpy old bastards, we have already seen Bo Dallas being shit in this role, and Bray’s last run had already delivered some proper garbage and had already jumped the shark at the time of his passing.

Bray was a creative guy and had some cool ideas. I adored the initial Wyatt Family stuff, one of my favourite pro wrestling gimmicks of all time. I loved the spooky bollocks vignettes, the aesthetic, his promos where he said nothing in the most wonderfully captivating and verbose way like all the great cult leaders. Brilliant.

A lot of his later stuff was patchy as hell though, and the most recent run with Uncle Howdy and the Mountain Dew match and whatever they were about to do with Lashley was following his unfortunate pattern of an intriguing idea/start which then descended into complete crap. Bray’s tragic death has papered over a lot of that and added a shitload of good will to the proceedings, but we have been given little reason to expect any of this to actually be any good. 

Bo will also have to do it without Bray’s promo ability or charisma. As much as I got increasingly tired of his last run, the segment where LA Knight (who did a sensational job of trying to spin shit into gold by the way) slapped Bray twice was still electric to me because of Bray’s promo delivery and facial reactions. Bo doesn’t have that. He is not Bray. If you think Bray Wyatt sometimes fell apart when the smoke and mirrors were taken away, expect that to be much much worse for Bo. 

Sixth member is Otis. He finally snapped and shot Gable in the head backstage. He will be Otis Deading going forward. Spooky. 

Edited by JLM

How could they have brought it into a more realistic gimmick... hear me out.

You remember the scene in the original Tim Burton 'Batman', where Kim Bassinger is waiting on her date in the gallery and the joker gases it?

Imagine a play on that, where Howdys goons, carrying a huge stereo, beat their way through the back stage area, knocking on locker rooms, smashing cliques as they go. Howdy, casually strolling through, a spring in his step. As they get towards 'Gorilla', they come across Drew/Priest/Punks locker room, as one of the goons goes to batter the door, Howdy stops them, with his cane. 

He says something to call back to the Jokers line "No, thats art, that comes later"

They then move onto the gorilla and out to the audience.

PS. Im all for them adding in a load of spray paint, ala the famous scene

2 hours ago, TAFKA Jonny Vegas said:

Undertaker is arguably the only ever major success in an extremely long list of "spooky bollocks" gimmicks though. 

I thought original Kane, as WWE's answer to Michael Myers was brilliant! I mean not so much spooky beyond, the turnbuckle "fire power" but definitely a gimmick that's a bit "out there"... 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Kane is definitely a successful spooky monster. The look, the pyro, the theme and the Michael Myers mannerisms helped. Crucially though, his positioning as a a huge threat and mirror match for The Undertaker were all more important than the lore. The increasingly convoluted backstory of Kane is by far the worst thing about the character. I should emphasise “the character” there. Of course the real worst thing about Kane is that Glen Jacobs is an utter turd of a human being. 

But anyway, Kane had the big build up of Bearer telling the silly back story, but what worked best was what he actually did on arrival. Ripping the door off the cage, the awesome presentation, taking out The Undertaker on his debut using Taker’s own move.  

This is where the Wyatt stuff gets it backwards a lot of the time. They make the lore and the mystery and the QR codes the focus of it, and fumble trying to convert any of that into wrestling angles and matches. I don’t care to see anyone on the roster feuding with Bo Dallas in a silly costume, and them murdering some random people and Chad Gable in Gorilla position doesn’t change that, whereas after Kane’s debut I wanted nothing more than to see Kane vs Undertaker. 

Edited by JLM