The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

I think my main fundamental issue with Gunther is that I don't believe that he is as a tough and dangerous as they present him as. Physique wise he's not big enough to really feel intimidating - if anything he looked better when he was a bit tubby. He's more long than big now. I've heard him and Brock Lesnar touted as a dream match but I think the two of them together would probably expose Gunther as not being anyone near as hard or as imposing as we're supposed to think he is. And generally I think coming across as a believable badass isn't really anything you can teach or learn, you either have it or you don't. Stone Cold, Stan Hansen, ECW prime Taz, Samoa Joe...they have it. Gunther does not.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

if anything he looked better when he was a bit tubby. 

This is where I'm at with him. It's impressive that he's got himself in the shape he's in, but he looked better and felt more of a threat with some heft behind him. Now he's in great shape, but not WWE Body Guy shape, and aesthetically it doesn't work for him as well as he did when he had a bit more meat on him.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

And generally I think coming across as a believable badass isn't really anything you can teach or learn, you either have it or you don't. Stone Cold, Stan Hansen, ECW prime Taz, Samoa Joe...they have it. Gunther does not.

I felt the same when I was going to BritWres, when he was having “tough guy” matches with various guys I found far more convincing and/or engaging. But then I’ve never found “hits the other guy really hard” to be much of a selling point for my practitioners of fake violence.

• Paid Members

The Official UKFF Gunther Hate thread.

Him vs Brock Lesnar is my Wrestlemania dream match now that they already did him, Sheamus and McIntyre battering each other. Proper wrestling.

...well, I like him. 

I can see why you might argue that there's little substance to his character, and I would certainly categorise myself as someone who typically needs more than just good matches to enjoy a wrestler. 

But the presentation is so good. For me, I don't really mind that there's not an obvious character at this stage. There's a mystique around the guy because of his presentation, and Kaiser and Vinci are really good as his sidekicks. I really enjoy Gunther's matches, and it's very rare that WWE has a wrestler whose character is essentially that he is a good wrestler who is very hard to beat - and that, for me, makes him stand out. 

That particular character probably can't last forever, but I am completely sold on the idea of WWE Champion Cody Rhodes feuding with IC Champion Gunther some time next year. 

Gunther's great.

I'll accept he looks less like a murderer now he's slimmed out, but i'd say he looks more like an athletic machine now which I think they've matched with a slight character tweak. He's the wrestling guy. The mat is sacred etc etc

He dresses like he takes his job seriously and everyone else is beneath him, he tells everyone that he's better than them and they're beneath him... and then he has big physical matches, where he can wrestle, strike or brawl with you depending on the circumstance. In rare occasions, he'll take flight if he needs to.

Everything about his presentation and execution makes sense, and the matches are usually good at a minimum. 

Who's game is it?

...Gunthers.

8 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

He's one of my favourites. Incredibly consistent. Not every single character has to have levels and depths and backstory and whatever else. What he does and what he presents is more than enough.

He takes wrestling exceedingly seriously, is offended by those he thinks don't take it seriously and wants to prove that he's the best.

I honestly don't think his character is any more or less fleshed out than anyone else at the top of the card. Cody wants to win a world title to complete the story his daddy started; John Cena believes he is a beacon of 'good' in the world and needs to set an example for all the little Cena fans by always fighting for what's right and never giving up; Roman Reigns is a conqueror who needs not just to be powerful but to actually experience people bending the knee and telling him how great he is.

I'd say Gunther's character fits in neatly with a company that has characters that can be boiled down to a single mission statement. I'd argue he's more fleshed out than say Jey Uso, Finn Balor, Damian Priest, LA Knight et al who haven't yet found their 'why'.

17 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'd say Gunther's character fits in neatly with a company that has characters that can be boiled down to a single mission statement. I'd argue he's more fleshed out than say Jey Uso, Finn Balor, Damian Priest, LA Knight et al who haven't yet found their 'why'.

Yeah you put that a lot better than I did. It's a simple yet effective character with clear traits. Especially when you compare him to Finn Balor who is.. well I don't even know apart from he has a demon who may or may not just be some funny makeup and.. yeah sometimes trying to add complexity is actually a mistake.

Fuck me.

That opening promo was absolute garbage. One of the worst World Title promo exchanges I’ve ever seen between two absolute losers.

Sami just gave the briefcase back? Loser. Had to be talked into the title opportunity by the Champion? Loser.

Seth just walked into the boss’ office to ask to defend his title against you? Shit, you must be no threat at all.

‘The Judgment Day have all the gold on Monday Night Raw except that World Title.’ 

No they don’t you absolute goon.

Shite, shite, shite.

Sami Zayn is the sort of bloke who cries at John Lewis Christmas adverts, pass it on.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz